Sun. - Mar. 9 - Daily Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't think I'd be starting this thread today, but I just can't sleep...it's the wee hours again. The dog show was great fun...Buddy won first prize in the Fetching Contest. The kids were utterly thrilled. I can only say that I'm grateful that I could enjoy this experience sober. There is absolutely no way I could have done this under the influence...even a little bit under.

The urges aren't nearly as strong as they were earlier on, but I must admit this would be a night that I would have been tempted to drink just to fall asleep. Now that I'm AF over 30 days, I feel like the real work of learning to live wo/numbing out is just beginning. It's a struggle to keep my affairs in order. That is, to make sure nothing is on my mind that could send me to the bottle. Whatever actions are needed all take effort: an apology, a discussion, a decision, whatever. These are the types of things that went on hold when I was drinking. Now, I'm learning how to do them all over again.

I'm glad I have MWO to process this with. I know there would have been several things that would have catapaulted me into drinking again if it weren't for all of you. Thanks for being here. Love, Mary

PS: Cindi, I hope you're doing OK. I noticed that you didn't come to this thread yesterday. Perhaps you were in some other forum. I didn't have time to read around. Don't give up.
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Hi Retteacher

I am new on this site, and new to being AF (1st day really), very scary, but some of the things I have read have been inspiring. What you just wrote spoke to me. Congratulations on getting through the day and thank you for helping me get through my first.:new:

Comment

Mary,

I was lurking around because I had all three grandkids yesterday and there was snow in the yard, enough for snow ball fights and fun.

All three kids spent the night last night.

Up at 5:20 and oldest grandson got up with me. It is a real treat.

I stayed sober yesterday, I will stay sober today and I am hanging on by my fingernails until Friday's appt. I am going to beg for antabuse.

Aysha - :welcome: Glad you are here.

Love,
      Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Happy Sunday Abbers!

Welcome Absville Mysha, hope to see you here bright and early every morning! Every have a great day!!
        Is Addiction Really a Disease?
        Watch this and find out....
        http://youtu.be/ekDFv7TTZ4I

Comment

I've been reading this thread for a week. I'd like to think I'm qualified to 'join' it now that I've strung together 3 AF days. (ok...technically 2, but on day one I only had one glass of wine, which is practically nothing for me)

I have not made it past 48 hours for at least the last 3 years. One week from today I head into Shick-Shadel for 10 days of 'aversion therapy.' I hope to God that's my ticket out of this hell.

I just want to say thanks to everyone here for being so inspiring and helping me to believe I can really do this.
          "We all have a better guide in ourselves, if we would attend to it, than any other person can be." Jane Austen

Comment

Morning all...
            Mary the dog show does sound like fun, and for your "Buddy" to win a prize...wow, must have been quite the time with your grandkids!!
            I am finding that, for me, re training the mind is key. It is work, takes a lot of practice, but being able to take things as they come and not overwhelming myself with all the "to do's" is my goal, not always easy after years of being the responsible one, but I do see myself making progress.

Aysha, welcome...you will find lots of support here.

Cindi, ODAT, one minute if you have to, and I will be sending you positive thoughts.

4, good to hear from you...have a great Sunday

A good weekend to all the abbers!!!!!
            sobriety date 11-04-07

Comment

Hi Mary, Aysha, Lefty, Cindi, 4, Charlee....and all to come!! Hope everyone is having a good Sunday. Day 12 for me. The party went okay last night....no one noticed I wasn't drinking and I just said I was driving....the champage was flowing very fast and glasses were getting topped up over and over again!!! (Couldn't help but notice!!!) Still, it was lovely standing around with my diet coke and actually having a good long conversation with people - and the confidence to talk to people I didn't know at all - whats more I can still remember the conversations and who I talked to today!! A couple of weeks ago, I would have clung to my husband's side all night or stuck myself in a corner.....with glass in hand!! Anyway, had a really good time.

Husband is going away tomorrow until Friday, he's off to Cheltenham for the week...which means I'm on my own but I've got lots planned in the house and garden....and of course, I'll be on here plenty!!!

love to all,

Janicexxx
              AF since 9 May 2012
              Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

Happy Sunday Everyone!

I had my last drink on Thursday. I am feeling anxious and hopeful.
                I am thankful I found this site. I wish I had the $$ for the books and CD's

Going to check out the pharmacy today and see if I can find Gaba,,,

((( Hang I N there Everyone)))

Big Hugs To All :h

:new:
                sigpic
                Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you?ve imagined,,,,,

Comment

Goodmorning, fellow ABers!

Wow, lot's of new folks here today. Welcome. Congrats on your days AF already even if it is just one. One turns to two, and then to three, and so on before you know it. Hang in there. We are here for you every step of the way. Read a lot of posts. And posts as often as you see fit. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Morning Fairy ~ I joined this site Dec 27th. I have not been able to get the book and Cds either. I have been sober by logging on everyday for support and inspiration and I have been taking a multi-vitamin and Omega 3 Fish Oil (which really helps with depression among many other things). After being here for over two months, I just recently got some money that I was able to spend on just me (boy is that very rare, lol). I was able to order a lot of the supplements now, but still got sober without them. You can do it. Granted the tools help, but don't think you can't do it without them. Also, keep in mind that the book can be downloaded for about $13.00 US dollars (no shipping and handling costs ). I was told that it's less than 100 pages.

Mary ~ Congrats on your win! I bet the gkids were very excited. I'm so glad you went and enjoyed yourself. On another note, I can relate to not being able to get yourself to do things if you were still drinking. I don't know how many things I did not do because I felt like staying home drinking instead. When I was actually talked into doing something or going somewhere I made sure I could plan drinking around it. I would sneak beer into movie theaters, mini-golf, grocery shopping, flea markets, etc. Anywhere I could get away with walking around with a "coffee" cup. Boy, the things this site makes you remember. Egads!

Love to all. Sending you warm wishes and strength today. Remember, Monday morning hang overs really suck!! You do not want to start your week that way. Stay sober, you'll stay happy. I promise!!

Love, Me
                  :l
                  Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

You REALLY can do this!

Lefty;287395 wrote: I've been reading this thread for a week. I'd like to think I'm qualified to 'join' it now that I've strung together 3 AF days. (ok...technically 2, but on day one I only had one glass of wine, which is practically nothing for me)

I have not made it past 48 hours for at least the last 3 years. One week from today I head into Shick-Shadel for 10 days of 'aversion therapy.' I hope to God that's my ticket out of this hell.

I just want to say thanks to everyone here for being so inspiring and helping me to believe I can really do this.
                    Lefty, you really can do this. I am in my 3rd month and counting. I went 6 years, slipped then another year and a half almost 2.

I take one day at a time, no pills, lots of prayer. It was a bit rough at the beginning, gets easier, temptation will come a knockin from time to time, I stop and pray.

I used to drink only on week ends, my husband and I was going through HELL, notice I said WAS? I drank to much, I feel better now, I pray for strength to continue.

Take it hour by hour, day by day, if you fall down, get up, keep getting up, NEVER give up, believe in YOU! :thumbs::thumbs:

Comment

Aysha and Lefty, I've been on this site for around 1 1/2 months now and up until now have only managed to string together 4 AF days, well for this week I"ve strung together 5 (counting tonight.....I know I won't drink. My trigger was 8:00 every night, sitting in front of the t.v. To get me through the weekend, which is the first weekend since I was a teenager (not including 2 pregnancies) that I havent't had a drink. To get me through the weekend I began reading again, which I haven't done in a very long time. Also found I'm sleeping so much better now. I still take melatonin to help me sleep. And every night I thank God for helping me through another day.

This site is a blessing as you will find. You can do it, it may take a few times but never give up!

Comment

Yeah for you, derrygirl! Congratulations. Getting through a weekend is huge! I know, cuz I just did it for the first time in a long time, too!

thanks for the inspiration and keep up the good work.
                        "We all have a better guide in ourselves, if we would attend to it, than any other person can be." Jane Austen

Comment

Hi all, Sunday evening here, haven't managed to get on before now, hope everyone has had a lovely day. I've just been busy cleaning out cupboards etc - again, seems to be my new hobby just now, it certainly passes the time when I am 'craving', not feeling too strong today but it will pass - I WILL NOT DRINK...

Lxx
                          Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

I'm thrilled to see so many new people here. That is what makes this thread so valuable. I just want to add a few comments on the posts:
                            -The AF time you've accumulated doesn't matter. All you need is the willingness to try...even if you slip. Most of us have had our slips.
                            -Janice: I too love being sober now while others drink. It's nice to be able to have non-slurring conversations that make sense...& remember it all the next day. BTW, one of my biggest triggers was when my husband was out. Even now, my mind clicks into gear when he leaves the house. I just haven't acted on it.
                            -Thankful: Oh those coffee cups full of some sort of booze. It got to a point at the end that it felt normal to be drinking warm pinot grigio out of a mug.
                            -Cindi: Aren't g-kids great? But exhausting for my 60-something self. I also find that when they leave, I think about "relaxing" the wrong way. Sometimes I wonder what ISN'T a trigger for me.

Love you all, Mary
                            Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                            October 3, 2012

Comment

Hi Everyone, I'm joining in a little late due to being so busy. Had to attend several hockey games today . I agree that the number of days are not so important- although I do like to keep track. I think if I could actually do a year AF I will stop. That sounds truly unbelievable - but something to shoot for .The counting can kind of drive you crazy too. Right now I have 9 days but I feel like actually I'm doing far better than that sounds. In general for the past maybe 6 months I only have been drinking 2-3 nights a week and only about half of my usual. And I haven't actually had any episodes of blacking out or really getting significantly intoxicated like before. This change feels really solid and permanent, so although my goal is complete AF the days are a little decieving. This change happened after repeatedly just starting over time and time again and putting together AF days with many slips in between but trying not to get too discouraged. I'm laughing about drinking wine out of a mug. I did that so much that it wouldn't ever occur to me to use a wine glass, even if I was alone. I actually prefer a mug at this point. Being alone, in particular without my husband is a HUGE trigger. It took me awhile to realize this and it is proving to be very hard to break! Good to hear from everybody who has posted. Take Care All! Aquamarine
                              NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF YOUR OWN DETERMINATION
                              AF SINCE 3/16/2016

Comment

Working...
                              X