Long Term Moderation Contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I continue to be interested in the concept of moderation, but there are lots of people out there saying it just doesn't last. I continue to abstain while asking questions on this topic. So here's the contest question: how long have you moderated (without increasing)? Please include only time without meds or supplements.
    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

For me, it's been 3.5 months. (After 106 days AF before it.)

I know I am very lucky.

Hope you find your answers J....good luck.

FMS xx
    :heart: c: :heart:
    "Be patient and gentle with yourself - the magic is in you."

Comment

This could ba a VERY interesting thread. I know it is a question that comes up ofen in my mind!
      BHOG
      War isn't working. Let's try Peace!

Comment

dowjbw;288384 wrote: how long have you moderated (without increasing)? Please include only time without meds or supplements.
        Hello!
        I've been alcohol free without the use of meds or supplements since July 26, 2007... just over 7 months!
        AF 6 years
        NF 7 years

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one single step

Comment

I have been moderating for over 10 months, with a couple of slips here and there.
          My personal theory is that if you have been a serious heavy drinker for long time and drink to get seriously drunk most of the time. It will be almost impossible to moderate. I have so far only had about 14 AF in a row.
          You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

good topic

I have wondered that same question........been AF for 23 days (today included) and want to attempt to try moderating after I have 30 days, but am fearful I will get back to the downhill spiral that I was in before I finally decided to go AF, thought at that time it was going to be the only way I could make it, but who knows, still scared to try right now at this time..................

Thanks for the topic,

MA
            :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

i have also noticed that a lot of the people I use to drink with, have slowed down and are involving themselves in activities other than booze orineted social events. This has really helped me overcome the drink till you drop attitude.

Comment

trixietrack;290243 wrote: i have also noticed that a lot of the people I use to drink with, have slowed down and are involving themselves in activities other than booze orineted social events. This has really helped me overcome the drink till you drop attitude.
                I have noticed that also throughout the past several years. Many of the people that used to party hard have now put other things going as a priority in their lives, like family, jobs, health & responsibilities.. these are the smart ones. Then I see the other ones that have never seemed to moved on from that "party" mentality.... they're the ones still sitting in the bars reminiscing about the good old days, or drinking themselves into a stupor in the privacy of their own home.
                My last years of drinking were done mostly at home....I tired of the bar scene, but not ready to give up the addiction. In many ways, this was not good.... I was usually alone & this makes it more difficult to monitor how intoxicated one really is.

K.
                AF 6 years
                NF 7 years

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one single step

Comment

yes fallen angel. I think drinking alone, or hiding alcohol is really one of the ways that people end up in trouble.

like you said you can't gauge your drunken state, and no one is usually there to keep you in check.

Comment

just signed on

:new: i have not had a drink for six days and i am feeling very sad and alone
                    i dont want or crave a drink even tho i know if i had a couple id feel better im wondering if anyones on here as im on the other side of the world

Comment

Hi boohoo2,

Welcome!

Yes there is usually someone here to talk to~from all over the world!

Congratulations on six days AF! Well done!

I'm sorry you're feeling sad and alone, may I suggest you do some reading here and perhaps post some more? Then we'll all get to know you better and you, us.

You could post a bit about yourself on a thread in Just Starting Out where more members are likely to see it and respond, just a suggestion for you though.

Post anywhere you damn well please! You are welcome here!

I'm off to bed, my eyes are wanting to shut.

I'm glad you're here.

magic xx
                      ~Are you looking for the Holy One?
                      I am in the next seat.
                      My shoulder is against yours. ~Kabir

Comment

I'm glad you are here also

Comment

Welcome BooHoo!

Sunbeam,
                          Your "contest' seems kinda odd to me.
                          Why would you even attempt moderating without supps, (& or meds? ) That's basicly part of what this program involves...among other things...

I've been moderating for 2 years and 3 months.
                          With a few slips, that I can count on one hand easily. Still have the same job, same Hubby, still have a home,...etc. None of which I'd have without MWO, supps, or Topa...
                          The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

For me personally, I wouldn't consider long-term use of meds and supplements just to be able to drink. Also, I think without these aids would be the only equal grounds for comparison. Someone able to moderate with meds and supplements would not be the same to me as someone able to moderate without these supports. For comparison, you would need to know doseages and all. This was simply the question I wanted to ask. Even though those like us are here, there are lots of people in the world who moderate without meds or supplements. I guess your assumption is that if a person is here, they will need meds and/or supplements to moderate. Based on the few responses, you seem to be nearly correct.
                            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

It gets easyier

Good job BOOHOO2:goodjob:

All I know is the first week was the hardest for me.....I was cranky. I'm almost in my fourth week and well just being on this site and getting all the support, reading the book and taking the kudzu and supplements, lots of exercise etc. has really helped. I was a binge drinker and usually at home. You will be ok, you have come to this site, and can be on your way. I've learned that there are triggers when drinking, mine are being alone at home and being around certain people. So I've decided that I will not drink at home anymore and also around certain people. I'm going for moderation, I want to know that I can be ok with one or two glasses of wine. I've heard that some can do it and some can't....will see.

Comment

Working...
                              X