Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I stay sober?

That is the 64 million dollar question.
    This is how I have done it for 172 days now.
    I admitted I was powerless (not an easy thing to do)
    I sought the help of professionals (Doctor,Councillor, rehab.)
    I make 3 to 4 A.A. meetings a week.
    I read as much about the disease as I can (and yes it is a disease)
    I get the support of as many people as I can Sponsor,(I dont have family but maybe you do)
    Talk to them.
    I have found a wonderful book called "The Recovery Book" that and the "Big Book" of A.A. helps me out a lot.
    Get through the next hour then work on the next.
    Good luck.
    Love,
    John S.

How do I stay sober?

Well, I found a book called My Way Out. This program is working for me. I am truly amazed at how well this program works! I have chosen not to take the meds, but I do take the supplements,Kudzu and L-Glutamine. Regular exercise and meditation also helps me greatly. And, I cannot say enough about this board and in particular the people with which I have formed a bond with. The support really helps.

I also believe that a huge part of beating this is comittment and vigilance! Focusing my life on being a non-drinker.

John, I realize that AA works for you and many others. I have given AA a good try in the past. Suffice to say, it was not for me.

XX Kate
    A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

How do I stay sober?

Do you want to stay sober? Life goes on without AL. Are you having a difficult time?
      R.

Comment

How do I stay sober?

I agree with kate
        "From now on, walking is my beer and feeling good is my hangover" .....Homer Simpson

Comment

How do I stay sober?

I say that whatever works for you keep at it...

Lx
          Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

How do I stay sober?

Hey John!
            May I be the first to congratulate you on achieving 172 days sober, Well done mate!!. Glad AA is working for you as well. I started out with ODAAT but I somehow felt I needed to move away from this concept as things got easier and I stopped thinking about alcohol all the time. You are right though how to stay and live sober is the big million dollar question and learning to live again while filling the void alcohol has left is not easy!!

Love and Happiness
            Hippie
            xx
            "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
            Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

How do I stay sober?

I agree with hippie ( being a much older one myself),
              But that avartar of his may lead me to some sort of extra discussions with my therapist ( No havent taken anything doc):H
              go well with what ever works

All the best Danny

Comment

How do I stay sober?

John!
                Congratulations!! You are AMAZING!! :yougo::yougo:
                Don't let it worry you if there are some who do not like AA here.. it has not worked for many like me.. I guess its like a school or any kind of community.. depends on the actual people involved at the time, not just the concept. Many of us are comfy here and scratchy about past bad experiences with AA so please do not take any of that personally.
                Whatever it takes.. you are doing it!
                Good Job and Welcome!!
                :welcome:

Comment

How do I stay sober?

wow i just joined this forum and i am amazed by the support you guys are giving each other
                  i just was searching the net for anything that could help and i see i have come to the right place

Comment

How do I stay sober?

Welcome TKO! Glad you found us, stick around and join in! Let us get to know you and please get to know us!!

Best Wishes,
                    KateH

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

How do I stay sober?

OK.....so I have been thinking (Uh!OH!)

Is it, MWO, AA, Rehab, Talking with other drinkers, family friends?

Is is supplements or meds?

Is it Therapy?

Yes, for those of you that might wonder, I am still a non-drinker and I am comitted to staying a non-drinker.

People both succeed with all of the above, some of the above in any number of combinations, and unfortunately some do not. But, I think we all agree, that the drinker must, comitt to stopping. I think we have to give up the self pity and thoughts that we are the only ones that suffer. We are the only ones overwhelmed with life, the only ones to suffer tragedy and loss. Self Pity is so dangerous! When we drink, we stay in this pattern.

With nearly 60 days of sobriety (I know this is still very new) I am learning to re-program my thought process. To take on one challenge at a time, though often I have many challenges in one day! I am learning that "checking out with AL", is neither an option nor a solution. Checking out with AL always means that his "offspring" will visit the next day. They are depression, remorse, fear, anxiety, guilt and on and on......AL has many offspring!

Just wanted to share these thoughts.

Have a Good Day, All

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

How do I stay sober?

How do I stay sober?

I don't pick up that first drink. Because if I do it will eventually lead me back to square one. Each day I empower myself : Today I choose not to drink.
                        :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

How do I stay sober?

Amen!!! Breeze!! It is truly only that first drink that we need to think about!!

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

How do I stay sober?

Me? I don't drink alcohol... I'm allergic, I don't like the taste, one glass makes me drunk ... blah blah..

You name it - I tell it to myself and that's how I got to 10 and a half months or approx 325 days sober.

MY mind told MY body no more, MY body said 'Thank God for that'
                            and that's it really and I feel a damn site better for it too I can tell you....

Luckily for me...no supps, no meds, no counselling - - nada.

Good Luck with your stopping drinking or remaining sober too...

?We are one another's angels?
                            Sober since 29/04/2007

Comment

How do I stay sober?

This is what I'm doing ...

Ok - Shoot me here ....
                              I started with Day 1 telling myself it was SIN - plain and simple. That if I was doing something else this harmful to myself and my family - I'd call it what it was SIN. And take full responsibility for it. I've been calling it addiction for the past 20 plus years. And what has that gotten me? A reason to drink - after all - I "can't quit" I'm addicted. Bla Bla Bla. Same thing every day. Today's the day I must quit. And by 5 oclock I was drinking. Well the last couple of years when I started drinking in the mornings also (yes my body was addicted but that didn't change the facts ... ) I woke up January 1st, 2008 - called it Sin and stopped. I'm not saying it's been a cake walk but I am saying I have not had any alcohol since and now I have no intentions to. God willing.

That is what I am doing. Yes - I am taking advantage of every support now that I can - but I also believe the God does not leave us with out a support system in hand which is why I am here on MWO.

Liv
                              AF since Jan. 1, 2008 .... It all began right here

Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice, you made it now.

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

Working...
                              X