holiday without al

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

holiday without al

hi all i keep slipping on and off the wagon im af for 2 days ,but im going to florida in 7 weeks time and im dreading it cos i intend to do it af and ive never done this on holiday before .
    i can go af for 2 weeks easily at home but the thought of a holiday without al is terrifieing has anyone got any thoughts on this one

holiday without al

Maybe try and get some AF time before you go away to motivate you??? You say you can go 2 weeks easily at home - you've got 7 weeks until your holiday, why not try and string a few weeks together now?? Then hopefully you will be in the swing of things come your holiday - and, if you can't stay AF while you're away at least you will have had some AF time beforehand??? Good luck, Janicexxx
    AF since 9 May 2012
    Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

holiday without al

Yep - I would rack in those AF days prior to your holiday and it will give you such a sense of accomplishment that maybe it will deter you from wanting to drink? All the best.

Comment

holiday without al

agree

I too agree w/ trying to rack up some AF time, it will do your body and mind some good! I am leaving for vacation to Utah on 3/29 and plan to go AF like I did last year, just called AA out there and they are going to fax me a meeting schedule today.............I don't know if you have ever tried AA, but it is really fun to visit and go to meetings. Helpful too!

Good luck, and I wanted to say I have been to Utah while drinking and while AF, and going AF was WAAAYYY more fun than any of the drinking times, I remember EVERYTHING, enjoyed it soooooooooo much more. You ought to try it!!

love,:l

MA
        :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

holiday without al

yeh ive tried aa on several occasions but its not for me,but i do envy the ones that have cracked it with aa.
          going back to the holiday its a 10 hr flight and theres free booze included but ive fxxxxd so many holidays up for my family with booze in the past im dreading it and just dont want to go:thanks:

Comment

holiday without al

sorry

Maybe you shouldn't go?? I mean that sounds stupid and all, but if you are truly "afraid" to go for fear of getting totally blasted, try to get some AF days under your belt, it may be easier then, drink diet coke, just cuz beverages are free, you don't HAVE to drink them! I know it is easier said than done, I am going to a function tomorrow night and it is an open bar, have been pondering whether I can have 1 or 2....................I KNOW I can't, but keep forgetting that fact that I will probably get wasted and then have to drive, what if I get a DUI and have to go to jail etc etc etc................I think I will just NOT DRINK!!

Sorry if I am no help, but try to do it, please!?

MA
            :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

holiday without al

One thing I was taught was to write down all the things you have spoiled with booze carry it with you at all times and read it any opportunity you get, put it in a book for on the flight and use it to remind you non stop what you are going to acheive. I have started to wear a copper bracelet which I tell people its for arthritis but its there to remind me what my goal is. Good luck mate.

Comment

holiday without al

Hi
                Like you I was reading going on holiday, knowing that it would be my first holiday, (excluding holidays as a child) without alcohol. I still cant believe I got through 2 weeks in Lanzarote without a drink . I'm 8 weeks alcohol free now, and it does get easier. I ate a lot of ice cream on holiday, I thought well, if I cant have a drink, I'll just have whatever I want to eat intead.Luckily we were in an apartment so could stock the fridge up with soft drinks. I got through by thinking about what I was going to have to drink before I went out. I also found it easier to go to quiet places and not to be too near people who were drinking heavily. Playing cards while waiting for dinner to arrive helped too, somehow it helped to focus my mind away from alcohol. I had sweets and chocolate available at all times too, so when a craving hit, I had something as a substitute.

I also enjoyed the days more, as I was not nursing a headache, and able to get out and about and enjoy the scenery. It was good to have a holiday that didnt revolve around drinking for a change. Give it your best shot and just take one day at a time. It worked for me

Geordiegirl

Comment

holiday without al

yeh sounds good to me geordie,pity its not as easy as it sounds tho,but im just going to have to bite the bullet and go cos i cant let my son down any more

Comment

Working...
                  X