When to go to detox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to go to detox

How do you know if you have to go to detox or if you can do it on your own. I am just wondering was reading some other threads. I don't need to go thank God but I was curious.
    Twinsmommy
    One out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced. Think of your 3 closest friends...If they seem OK then you are the one.

When to go to detox

Not really sure the answer to that one. I guess deep down inside, if someone is considering it, they probably need it. It's a huge scary step to take. But it's a positive one.

Are you ok? You posted in "Needs Help ASAP".

Do want to go to live chat? I will join you if you do. Let me know.

We are here for you.

Love, Me
    :l
    Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

When to go to detox

Hi I am fine thanks. Did that by accident I guess I thought I was still in Gen Disc. I was reading some old threads and someone told someone they should call a detox ctr ASAP and it seemed like a hangover to me. Just was wondering what the physical parts of withdrawl would send you to detox ctr. (recently joined the medical feild and am just a curious person) Thanks for asking though. I do have my issues but I don't think they ever got any worse than REALLY BAD hangovers. Thanks for caring soory about the mis[laced post!
      Twinmommy
      One out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced. Think of your 3 closest friends...If they seem OK then you are the one.

Comment

When to go to detox

Twinsmommy, I think you'll know if you are detoxing. You will feel the worst you have ever felt......not even close to a bad hangover.

Don't worry about the misplaced post. I know *I* haven't made any mistakes but some of the others have. :H :H
        Noelle sez "Do want you like, like what you do. Life is Good."

Comment

When to go to detox

There aren't any hard and fast rules that say when to go to detox, although having the DT's would certainly be a good indicator. As others have said, it is a scary proposition.

I have been sober for nine months (tomorrow), am in an infinitely better place mentally, but still would hesitate to go should the need arise. Just as admitting to myself and others that I had a drinking problem was hard, admitting to myself that I need detox would be even harder. I have a lot of respect for those people who can - and I honestly don't know if I could myself.
          Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

When to go to detox

It's an interesting question and I think it's something a lot of people want to know when they first decide that they need to do something about their problem.

I AM NOT A MEDICAL EXPERT, but from what I've gathered, alcohol withdrawal can be mild to fatal depending on how much a person drinks on average. People here have claimed that they've been able to go cold turkey without bad withdrawal once they tapered down to 4 drinks a day or less. If a person is drinking a lot, tapering down is important if they aren't going to detox. It's different for everyone depending on their body chemistry, but I've read that 8+ drinks a day or more for than 10+ days straight puts a person at risk for DTs if they go cold turkey. That's just a rough guideline. If someone say was drinking a 5th of booze a day for 4 days straight, they'd probably be in for some serious-to-fatal withdrawal if they went cold turkey as well.

In layman's terms, here is a simplified version of what causes the dangerous withdrawal: Heavy drinking suppresses the part of your brain that regulates a lot of vitals and the nervous system. To compensate against the suppression, it starts to work harder to maintain a normal state. If the alcohol is suddenly removed, that part of the brain is left working in overdrive because it takes awhile for it to slow down to normal. People can get severe nervous system symptoms such as rapid heartbeat, the shakes, extreme anxiety, and hallucinations.

Comment

When to go to detox

Being a vetern of detox myself..this is fear of the unknown.

I suppose detox facilities vary from place to place. Some better than others.

Admitting that you need to detox is nothing more than admitting you need help with withdrawal and a place to do it. And some support from staff.

It's a good thing.

m. xxx

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f7...wal-13412.html
              ~Are you looking for the Holy One?
              I am in the next seat.
              My shoulder is against yours. ~Kabir

Comment

Working...
              X