• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Books to motivate us to be AF

Over the last year I've read Sober for Good (Anne Fletcher);
    Allen Carr's Easy Way to Control Alcohol;
    The Effective Way to Stop Drinking (Beauchamp Colclough
    Drinking - A love story (Caroline Knapp)
    Dry (Augusten Burroughs)
    Oh and of course, My Way Out by Roberta Jewell!!!!

My Way Out and Sober for Good are well read, well worn and are kept next to my bed!!! I'm always dipping in and out of them and find they really do help to keep me motivated.

Has anyone got any other books they would recommend??? What's your favourite?

Janicexxx
    AF since 9 May 2012
    Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

I loved Smashed..can't remember the author. Really gave me things to think about.

Comment

cool the next time am in a book store i will see if they have them there thankx
      :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
      best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

WOW... check out this one.

The Book of Secrets: Unlocking the Hidden Dimensions of Your Life by Deepak Chopra

I am listening to this one right now as a free audio book download from the public library (10 day checkout). I am somewhat familiar with the concepts discussed in it so far... but WOW... it is eye-opening.. perfect for an AF existence...

I plan on getting this in print too..
        P.S. You can't love if you don't love yourself... :heart:

As you wander through life, sister/brother, whatever be your goal, keep your eye upon the donut, and not upon the hole.
        - Sign in the Mayflower Coffee Shop, Chicago

Comment

am reading a good book,,,, tomorrow i,ll be differnt,,,, by beachamp colclough
          there is no shame in losing a fight,, only in winning

Comment

good books to know about. thanks for bringing this up.
            Sunny Out Looks are Contagious!

Comment

The Alcoholism and Addiction Cure: A Holistic Approach to Total Recovery [Audiobook]

I enjoyed this one because it was about alcohol being a dependency and we have to figure out the "why" it doesn't use the word alcoholism and it's about a treatment center called Passages in Malibu and how successful they have been with holistic healing. Very interesting.
              "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

" The Gentleman Drunk " IAD
                ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                Dr. Seuss

Comment

All good books, I need to start ordering from Amazon. Dry is my all time favorite though.
                  "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

" Horton see's the Who ' Just checking to see if your paying attention ! Ha !:H
                    ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                    those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                    Dr. Seuss

Comment

That's a good one.

"Sam I am"

Comment

Green Eggs and Ham for the kiddies...but for me:

Nice Girls Don't Drink (Loved it. Lots of stories about women finding their way into recovery).

Betty Ford's Health and Healing (odd structure but once you get into it, again - I love the stories. Helps me to hear how other women have struggled. Includes relapses too...)

Allen Carr's book -- (liked it, but have not finished it. This book helped me believe I should get into the MWO program though.) -- helps me focus on the reality of al

Parched - Heather King. It's ok - funny and sad once you get into it, but not that helpful for recovery. It's an autobiography and she was really, really bad off - focuses on her journey of addiction than on her road through recovery (which is my interest - how to people get through recovery? I know how we get to the drunk part : )).

Just started and can't wait to get back home to read more:

Happy Hours (already love it - focuses on women's unique struggle with alcohol, including issues with depression, self-esteem and needing something other than AA).

I will have to look into Dry -- it looks like a lot of people like that one. Thank you for starting this thread - reading others' stories really helps me.

Comment

Hey thanks for all the suggestions.....happy4once do you know who wrote "Nice girls don't drink" and "Happy Hours"???

Janicexxx
                          AF since 9 May 2012

Comment

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Nice-Girls-Dont-Drink-Recovery/dp/089789247X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207060185&sr= 8-1]Amazon.com: Nice Girls Don't Drink: Stories of Recovery: Sarah Hafner: Books[/ame]

Nice Girls Don't Drink - Sarah Hafner
                            [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Happy-Hours-Alcohol-Womans-Life/dp/B00006JO64/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207060222&sr= 1-1]Amazon.com: Happy Hours: Alcohol in a Woman's Life: Devon Jersild: Books[/ame]
                            Happy Hours - Devon Jersild
                            -- Read more of this one last night...it's really interesting. Talked about sexual dysfunction and depression as being precursers to alcohol use in woman and how after the alcohol problem is solved, sometimes we have to go back and still fix those issues : ).

Also I forgot I read Drinking, A love story (which someone else mentioned)...by Carolyn Knapp I think.

Comment

thanks Happy, going to get them ordered!! Janicexxx
                              AF since 9 May 2012

Comment

Working...
                              X