Monday - March 17, St. Patty's Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top of the Mornin' to all you Abbers - Happy St. Patty's Day!

I just might go get me an O'Doules and color it green for old times sake! Everyone else go have a great day!
    Is Addiction Really a Disease?
    Watch this and find out....
    http://youtu.be/ekDFv7TTZ4I

Back at ya 4theboyz! I have a funny theory about beer. Don't know if it applies to anyone else in the world but me. I believe I was born with a lifetime beer limit. Sadly, I used my entire lifetime limit by the time I graduated from college. I sure wish I had left it at that, rather than moving on to other poisons such as wine and vodka. There could be cases of beer (real or AF) stacked from floor to ceiling in my house and I wouldn't touch it. Isn't that wierd? In the old days, I would rather walk a mile through an ice storm to acquire my poison of choice than drink a beer.

Anyway....LOL St. Patty's Day green beer holds no temptation for me. I am wearing green today though.

Happy AF Day to you 4tb, and to all who are yet to come!

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Hi 4 & DG: I'm doing OK dealing w/what life has been throwing my way. I can see why I drank...it's so much easier than feeling & trying work through feelings. I'm doing it, but it isn't easy...especially because I spent most of the last 7 - 10 years drinking for relief.

I was able to beg off my usual child care duties today. I'm going to get caught up on some chores & errands. I think that will help me to feel more in control. I'm going to an Alanon meeting tonight. That's a place I can bring up my troubles w/my son's DUI. All in all, I'm doing OK.

Take care everyone to come. Mary
      Wisdom, Courage, Strength
      October 3, 2012

Comment

Good Morning 4theboyz, DG, and all those to come,

Happy St Patty's day.

Maybe i will have an AF beer as well. DG, I actually like beer - prefer a good English bitter.

I had a reminder of why I am here this week. (to put into perspective, i joined the Abs group to get me through lent, intending to go to mods on Easter) My husb and I helped my sister and her husband with some yard work Saturday. When we were done, my sister offered me a cold beer. I declined. I admit that I was envious watching her drink her beer and I thought that I could have a drink like her next week. 45 minutes later she still hadn't finished that damn beer. There's no way I can drink like that - I would have been done with my 3rd after 45 minutes and I would have continued drinking at home. Just one of those moments when reality hits home. Looks like I am going to be here for awhile.

From yesterday, Thankful and Aqua, I will stay busy this week. Though I make light of my husb being away - it is a huge trigger for me. This is the first time he has been away since I quit drinking. I'm nervous but I fully intend to pull through.

Great day all,
        Beck
        Beck

Sometimes you get there in spite of your route, losing track of your life and what it's about, the road seems to know when to straighten right out...Mary Chapin Carpenter

Comment

Mary,

Our posts crossed. Glad to see you are doing well and staying busy. I think Alanon is a great resource for you. Stay strong.

Beck
          Beck

Sometimes you get there in spite of your route, losing track of your life and what it's about, the road seems to know when to straighten right out...Mary Chapin Carpenter

Comment

happ St. Pattie's Day!

It is the drinking holiday, boy did it used to be anyway!! NOT me, not today!!!! Everyone have a great St. Patrick's Day.................

Doggie Girl, I, too am wearing green, but that is all the festivities I will take part in today!

4Theboys, hope your green O'douls goes down alright, I remotely remember those old green beer hangies...........YIKES, they were horrible!!

Beck and Reteacher, you two have a wonderful day too...............

love,:h:h

MA
            :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

crossed

T, must have crossed posts w/ ya!! Yeah, I don't even LIKE corned beef, the cabbage I do like, but oh how salty that meat is!!?? YUCK (in my oponion anyway!!) AND a trigger, maybe cuz it is so salty!!??

Thanks for the post!!

MA
              :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

Hi Everyone - Happy St. Patrick's Day. Beck what you said about your sister really struck home. I feel the same way. The way I drink is so different that "normal" people.
                If people would be sipping wine at at dinner or a party it would be so difficult to do . The whole time I would be plotting how somehow I could guzzle down a glass or two without anyone knowing and then sit with everyone and look like I was just drinking like everyone else. Yes- that is not normal and so stressful. That's why mods is so impossible for me. I think it is actually harder to moderate than not drink at all.
                Reteacher- Dealing with emotions and stressful events can be really difficult without alcohol. Sometimes you can feel like you are backed up against a wall and just forced to deal with no way out. But at least you do deal and don't just bury it with alcohol. In the long run that's better I think.
                Hi to everyone , hope noone's struggle is too difficult today. Take Care. Aquamarine

l
                NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF YOUR OWN DETERMINATION
                AF SINCE 3/16/2016

Comment

Aqua and Beck, I can totally relate. My most recent "regular" example is the weekly dog training we host, where the "normal" drinkers train all day, then drink a couple of beers over the course of an hour or two then go home. Me? I'd be making Vodka drinks in my coffee cup (those insulated thingys with lids) well before noon. Heck, often well before people even started arriving. Yeah...like THAT was a secret. I'm with ya - I don't know why so many people I know have been able to drink sanely and occassionally and stop appropriately for so many years. All I know is that I cannot. The BEST thing I can do is just accept it, and not entertain any fantasies that the facts will change.

Aqua, I can't say that AF is easy yet, BUT...it's easier than Mods for me obviously - since LOL I can't mod at all!

Beck, I hope your week without hubby goes smoothly. Do you have a plan to treat yourself to some nice stuff during your witching times? Maybe this is a good week to update your entire spring summer wardrobe or something fun like that!!!!!

Cowgal, I'm with you - don't care much for corned beef but bring ON that cabbage!

Mary, I'm glad you are doing OK - I can't imagine how difficult this is. How is your son handling things at this stage? Does he have an idea yet of what his punishment will be? Do you think this situation will end up as the "wake up call" you are hoping it does? The alonon meeting sounds like a great place to look for people who have gone through things like this to get some good support. Let us know how it goes - good I hope. How was your family get together? (if you posted about that elsewhere, I will probably find it!!)

tkeene - geez - thank you for mentioning Manic Monday. That song is now in my head and I sense I will have trouble getting it out! (well, it beats thinking of green beer over and over, right?)

DG
                  Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                  Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Beck: I had a similar experience w/normal drinkers. We had a small family dinner for my son-in-law's b-day in the middle of Feb. My daughter bought a bottle of pinot for it, & I cooked something special. Weeks & weeks later the partial bottle is still on the door of the fridge forgotten w/about a third of the wine left. No way on earth would I have left that little bit of wine in a bottle. Eventually, my daughter will probably notice it & throw it out. At the end of my drinking, I never, ever put partial bottles in the fridge. I just drank it all. Mary
                    October 3, 2012

Comment

Good Morning, All!

4theboyz - Wow, can you believe that I totally forgot it was St. Paddy?s day! I?m not a beer drinker, but I think I?ll go rummage around in my closet and find the one and only green shirt I have?.

Hi Mary, hope you have a good day of rest, and feel more at ease about things. Let us know how things turn out.

Beck - My husband is away a lot too, and we recently moved to a new city, and I don?t know anybody, really, except my Mom and Dad and sister, so am still feeling very displaced, and it?s been a big trigger for me too. But I decided a week (8 days AF today) that enough was enough. We?ll do this together, shall we? (I tell you, I have the cleanest house right now - always looking for something to do EXCEPT have a drink?.)

Hi tkeene and cowgal! Corned beef and cabbage?.hmmmm?..I think corned beef is too salty too, but maybe I?ll do a stirfry tonight, and throw some bokchoy in it?.

Hi Aquamarine! Yes, it sure isn?t fair, is it? I sure what all alcoholics want most is just NOT to be - to be able to sip at a glass like everyone else?sometimes the key is just to accept that is never going to be the way it is?..

Yo DG! I?ll join you in that boiled/fried/saut?ed cabbage, with my one green shirt on - but no green beer, and no corned beef, no, no, no!!!!!

Have a great St. Paddy?s day everybody! And watch all that cabbage - it?ll be a rootin? tootin? time tonight, if you get my drift!
                      The furture lies before you like newly fallen snow - be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Comment

I'm coming to MWO fairly frequently today, as I'm really, really down & feeling like a drink would ease up my mood. I know that in the long run, I'd be devastated to cancel out all my progress. But, I'm not enjoying being me right now. I'll stick it out though. I know this too shall pass. M
                        October 3, 2012

Comment

I just looked at my bracelet my daughter gave me: "Wisdom, Courage, Strength." M
                          October 3, 2012

Comment

I have already gotten loads of invites to go to ST Patty's parties.

I keep saying no no no. I have to go to the gym.

there are drunks everywhere on the streets here. the bars are already open.

nope nope I am going to the gym and running on the treadmill.

You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

I'm sober & feeling better. M
                              October 3, 2012

Comment

Working...
                              X