Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on months and months of sobriety

Hi My Way Outters,
    I haven't been around in a while. To be honest, the key to my sobriety is AA, however, joining this site was certainly one of the steps I had to take to admit that I am powerless over alcohol. For that, I am grateful.

So, it's with great pride that I am about to hit 10 months of sobriety in about a week (to be honest I don't count the days anymore). I've had my ups and downs. It's still difficult to avoid drinking in social situations -- especially at parties and on the weekends. However, the urge to drink on a weeknight is totally GONE - which is amazng because I used to drink a pint of vodka and a few beers every night of the week.

So, I look at my next step/hurdle as trying to get over/become more relaxed when the drinks start flying around me in restaurants, and other social situations. I am determined to jump this hurdle and know I can do it.

I'd love to here some advice from some others with longterm sobriety about their thoughts/feelings around the ten month mark.

As for advice to any newcomers, my suggestion is simple: try AA and Campral. It's a powerful combination and it works wonders for me.

God Bless,
    Andy

Howdy Neighbor!

Andy1111;298792 wrote:
    So, it's with great pride that I am about to hit 10 months of sobriety in about a week (to be honest I don't count the days anymore). I've had my ups and downs. It's still difficult to avoid drinking in social situations -- especially at parties and on the weekends. However, the urge to drink on a weeknight is totally GONE - which is amazng because I used to drink a pint of vodka and a few beers every night of the week.

So, I look at my next step/hurdle as trying to get over/become more relaxed when the drinks start flying around me in restaurants, and other social situations. I am determined to jump this hurdle and know I can do it.
    Hello Andy!
    I'm your neighbour next door in the "Journey of a Thousand Miles" thread, so nice to meet you!
    I just celebrated 8 months of sobriety yesterday, so you & I are very close in our quits.
    I quit smoking a year previous, and have found that the tools I learned to use to become a successful ex-smoker, have helped tremendously in my sobriety.

I too have had my ups & downs with this quit... the 6 month mark seemed to be my turning point to where I have become more comfortable with being a non-drinker. I have removed myself from most of party situations since I quit (no more hanging around after work for beers). Like you said, the weekdays go by pretty easy, and what I'm having finding the most difficult, is trying to find different ways of celebrating special occasions without alcohol being the main focus.

C'mon over to our thread anytime...we'd love to have you join us... that's where I tend to hang out the most, having fun & taking time for reflection on the transformation these quits make in our lives.

Nice to meet you & an early congrats on 10 months! :goodjob:
    AF 6 years
    NF 7 years

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one single step

Comment

FallenAngel;299182 wrote: Hello Andy!
      I'm your neighbour next door in the "Journey of a Thousand Miles" thread, so nice to meet you!
      I just celebrated 8 months of sobriety yesterday, so you & I are very close in our quits.
      I quit smoking a year previous, and have found that the tools I learned to use to become a successful ex-smoker, have helped tremendously in my sobriety.

I too have had my ups & downs with this quit... the 6 month mark seemed to be my turning point to where I have become more comfortable with being a non-drinker. I have removed myself from most of party situations since I quit (no more hanging around after work for beers). Like you said, the weekdays go by pretty easy, and what I'm having finding the most difficult, is trying to find different ways of celebrating special occasions without alcohol being the main focus.

C'mon over to our thread anytime...we'd love to have you join us... that's where I tend to hang out the most, having fun & taking time for reflection on the transformation these quits make in our lives.

Nice to meet you & an early congrats on 10 months! :goodjob:
      Thanks so much for your kind words and good luck!

Comment

hi there..andy1111..very nice to meet you and i too go to aa meeting and take what i need from all i learn and and right now iam almost at my 6 months mark. one more month to go .and the ways that i do things . i ride life like a bull al has taken so much from me .i am not losing anymore .as for friend getting together and going to bars to eat i have no problem with it anymore like i said life is like a bull so ride it you are your only keeper and the temtion is always there everywhere you go. so what i do is deal with it... life is too short to lose anymore ...so try and ride the bull of life and see if you can handle it. you might fall off but you can always get back up.. good luck peace and god bless you
        :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
        best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Working...
        X