Sam-e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sam-e

Is anyone using Sam-e from a health food store? I am wanting to try it and don't want to wait and/or pay for shipping. My health food store has 200mg that comes in individally wrapped foil pouches. I know the health store version is 400 mg.. Any feed back about your experience with Sam-e would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Miso

Sam-e

Miso,
    I resorted to Sam-e after finding most anti-depressants to have unpleasant side effects. It really worked for me. I did not notice anything after a few days the first time I tried it, so I quit. I later learned that it takes about a week to build up before you can notice, so I tried it again and took it faithfully and it really did make a noticeable difference. I took it for a few months and also had more energy, etc. Unfortunately, I was also drinking most every night during this time, so I think I would have noticed even better results had I not been. The only warning I have heard about it is that you should avoid it if you are bi-polar. It can make you go off the manic deep end. But other than that, I have heard and experienced personally nothing but positive results.

Good luck!
    P4T
    If you do not live the life you believe, you will believe the life you live.

Comment

Sam-e

I heard somewhere that taking 800 mg of SAMe is more beneficial so that is what I am taking. I thought it was helping but was not sure until I was without it for a couple of weeks and I started feeling really low. I have some more on order and cannot wait to start back on it again and never stop taking it.

Like Prest said do not take it if you are bipolar. Good luck!
      I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Sam-e

Hi Miso,
        I bought mine at Costco. Same foil packets, if 200 take 2 per day...It's "Nature Made Brand"
        I was traveling and forgot them so I bought same brand at drug store...more expensive than Costco....I have notice it goes on sale like all things...I just got some at drug store, buy on get one free...I like the 400 less things to take daily...but that's just me.
        All I know is I feel way better, calmer and a more level mood no matter what my hormones are doing.
        Good Luck
        Gail

Comment

Sam-e

Hey P4T, Lushy and Gail,

Thank you all for the feed back. I am looking forward to trying this. I'll report back after I have been on it for a bit. Thanks again.

Miso

Comment

Sam-e

Miso,

Its funny how you foget what worked before, and I was actually considering going back on an anti-depressant with side effects... what was I thinking!

I also got the Sam-e from Costco.... good stuff, and much more affordable than at Walgreens or health food stores. If you do not have a local Costco, here is their web address and you can order within the US online.

Costco.com: Offering thousands of items you won’t find in your local Costco.

P4T
            If you do not live the life you believe, you will believe the life you live.

Comment

Sam-e

P4T,

Thanks so much for the Costco link. It is definitely a better buy than my health food store.

Like you, I also have the unpleasant side effects from anti-depressants. Several anti-depressants would keep me up at night, regardless of the time of day I took them. Is there a better time of the day to take Sam-e? How much do you take?

Thanks again for sending that link. I really appreciate it.

Miso

Comment

Sam-e

No to SAM-e.....Now GABA

Well, SAM-e was not for me. Did the same thing so many anti-depressants do to me. Kept me awake all night. Made me extremely tense. I guess it has to do with seratonin, but not sure. I know that you aren't supposed to take it if you are bi-polar. Don't think I'm bi-polar as I don't have mania (wish I did sometimes :H). Any thoughts or info on why they keep me from falling asleep (regardless of the time I take them) would be greatly appreciated. I am trying GABA now. It really calms you down, which is a nice change coming off of no sleep. Time will tell if I can tolerate this. Also, any info on GABA would be appreciated too.

Miso :heart:

Comment

Sam-e

I started back on the SAMe this week and I love it. I take it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, did you take it then? If it is making you tense though then maybe it is not the thing for you. GABA is good stuff too.
                  I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Sam-e

Hey Lushy,

Yes, I took it first thing on an empty stomach. Did okay the first night, but after that felt like I never fell asleep soundly. I even tried taking just 200mg (only did that one day) but still didn't sleep. Very frustrating. Hope the GABA works.

Comment

Sam-e

I picked up SAM-e by Schiff at Sam's Club this morning. (100) 200mg enteric coated tablets for $31 and change.

Comment

Sam-e

Hi, I have been on MWO for about a month now. I'm using the cds, all the supplements and topomax. I do need something for my mood. My doctor just prescribed prozac for me which I have not taken yet, I'd like to try SAMe. Just wondering if you take the topo with the SAMe.

Thanks Marlxoxo

Comment

Working...
                        X