Any CPAP users? I don't think I can do this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

for those that may not know, CPAP machines are used for treating sleep apnea
    Just diagnosed, severe case, the only thing I looked forward to most days was reading in bed and falling asleep and boy am I depressed over this turn of events. Any advice would be so appreciated...really struggling, seems like there is no quality of life left, sounds dramatic I know ...many people can use these machines, I just don't want to...if I have to sleep with a machine , wake up to fight AL and depression all day and go to bed with a machine I mean really what is the point
    :sulk:

Fresh Hope,

My hubby and SIL use CPAP machines.

They are not as bad as you might think. Yes, they do take some getting used to and if you have a partner (me in this case) sometimes they get a bit of air blown at them.

While my hubby hates having the hose wake him up when he turns in his sleep, he will absolutely NOT sleep without the machine today. It has made a huge and extremely positive impact in his life. He wakes up refreshed and feeling much better than he has in years.

He is looking into a new mask that fits his machine that is less instrusive.

I think you should give it a fair chance. It took hubby about two weeks to get used to it.

There is also the option of surgeries but hubby had two and neither worked.

Love and luck,
    Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Wow, never heard of this type of machine. Fresh, you just might feel better about life after a few goodnights sleep! Think about it. I know it's easy to say because I don't have to use one, but I do try to look for the bright side of things. Just out of curiosity, why can't you still read in bed with this machine? How encumbersome is it?

Wishing you luck, hun. And a great nights sleep.

Love, Me
      :l
      Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

I've heard of great success with these machines. But, I agree with you that it just seems like it would be more of a bother than a benefit.
        They say losing wt. and stopping alcohol helps with sleep apnea.
        Good luck in whatever you decide.
        Sunny Out Looks are Contagious!

Comment

Hi My dad has sleep apnoea too, and has a cpap machine , when he was first diagnosed his HGV driving licence was taken from him, but after using the machine his quality of life is much much better ......

Please persevere, It can be a very serious condition ......

Good Luck,

BB xx
          sigpicXXX

Comment

Well I use one and to tell you the truth, would just as soon have a leaf blower up my nose. Kinda what it feels like. I did better early on with the treatment than I'm doing now. Alcohol does not help.

But, do yourself a favor and try to get used to it. You will feel like a different person after knowing what it is like to breathe during the night.

Good luck.

Comment

It is a mask that you wear over your nose hooked up to a machine that blows air into your nose to keep your throat from collapsing... Google CPAP mask images to see ...

Thanks for your comments ...my family Doc just told me that if I don't use it he has to report me to driver’s license authority, the same as someone who has a seizure etc.
              I want to use it but so afraid of messing up what sleep I do get because as soon as I go1 or 2 nights without sleep I get very anxious and Depression starts and just getting off Depression meds after so long...years ,,,,,and was feeling good and next step was Topa for AL ... boy am I feeling sorry for myself, not my usual MO at all. I don’t even fit the profile, I am other wise healthy, exercise hard-core5 days week, overweight but working on it

Comment

I know the machine will take some getting used to, but maybe once you start getting really good sleep it will help with the depression. When I get a horrible night sleep it really effects my depression the next day. Good luck!
                I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Fresh Hope,

My hubby's life is 100% better with the CPAP than without it.

You see, it is not just a good night's sleep, it is sleep period. When you have sleep apnea, you never get to the REM stage of sleep because your body had to wake you up in order to get air.

This causes less oxygen in your blood stream even during the day, so your body is oxygen deprived all day which makes you tired (and of course depressed.)

We saw all this with hubby's sleep studies, with and without CPAP.

At least I know when he's in the "mood." He isn't wearing his mask... :H

It is a life saver, you know. Last year a famous baseball player died and it was linked to the fact that he was not wearing his CPAP at night and caused him to have a stroke or a heart attack. I can't remember the exact story but I remember it vaguely because I thought of my hubby.

Wear the CPAP. Your life will get better from it. It just took hubby a couple weeks to get fully comfy with it.

Love,
                  Cindi
                  AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Thanks CIndi...I read your other posts ...the AB thread and others, you have so much optimism, it really helps to hear you say it will be ok thanks

Comment

Fresh,
                      It is not as bad as all that. Two of my friends are using it presently and another one used if for almost a year. He then subsequently lost 20 lb. of weight and now does not need it anymore. But all reported that their daily quality of life improved drastically due to the improved sleep patterns.
                      Give it a try, it might make a world of difference.

My Dr. sent me to an overnight sleep test because I had such trouble sleeping without AL. Guess what, that night in hospital I fell asleep at 11 pm and never woke until 7am. He told me that there was nothing wrong with me; go figure...

Keep well,
                      L.
                      *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Comment

seriously sleeping with a CPAP ios not that bad... maybe very uncomfortable at first (some can't sleep) but eventually you'll get used to it. Managing sleep apnea is very important, remember that.
                        Durable CPAP machines in Toronto, Respironics CPAP masks in Toronto, Sleep apnea mask in Toronto.

Comment

I use one

After many years of disturbed sleep and constant fatique I started using alcohol to sleep (bad idea!!). I eventually suffered a bout of depression, and started on antidepressents but never lost the al. By then, my drinking was and still is out of control (second day of cutting back). Anyhow, last year I was diagnosed with sleep apnea, and for a period of one week I limited myself to one glass of wine and used my CPAP machine...I felt like a new person. I do know how hard it is to put this awful mask on everynight and try to read....but I keep trying to make it work because I know how much better I feel when I do use it. My Dr told me that alcohol exacerbates the sleep apnea as it relaxes the muscles in the throat. I have to wear a full face mask but for some they can just use the much smaller nasal masks. I do believe that once I am af, combined with ongoing use of my CPAP I will really feel better....physically and emotionally.

I wish you well....and please, give it your best shot!! The CPAP takes some time to get used it but it can happen.

:l

betterlife
                          :heartsnflowers:

Goal 1: 7 days AF Done!
                          Goal 2: 14 days AF Done!
                          Goal 3: 21 days AF
                          Goal 4: 28 days AF

Comment

Working...
                          X