My Drinking Thinking - Nixed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm always a little surprised when I get an errant drinking thought. I've dissected what happens w/that:
    -a fleeting thought - "Hm...maybe I'll drink today." I no longer kid myself into thinking it'll only be one drink.
    -a check-out of my activities &/or responsibilities for the day. "Do I have to do something that requires stamina, focus, etc.
    -a plan for purchasing & drinking.
    Obviously, the sooner in the process I interrupt the thinking the better. It's been many, many weeks since I've parked in front of & walked into a liquor store. I doubt if I could turn around & walk out empty-handed.

My main strategies for overcoming the thinking:
    -imagine how a drinking day will end up - headachy, nauseous, & full of self-loathing.
    -compose a MWO thread, then post if I have time &/or opportunity.

I've written this, because I did have a drinking thought today. I didn't drink & no longer feel like I'd like one...it's amazing the tricks our minds can play on us.

Love, Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Mary,

Your journal of your path is so helpful.

I, too, know what you mean about the drinking thinking, the planning, the doing, the buying, the drinking.

The self-disgust and loathing as an aftermath.

Thank you for sharing.

Love,
    Cindi
    XVIII
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

I get those thoughts too, hubby was away training for a few days and it crossed my mind more than once to go and get drunk whilst he was away, I managed to resist temptation and I can look my hubbo in the eye and say 'I did not drink'
      'The only people who give you a hard time (for stopping drinking) are those who used to look to your drinking to excess to legitimise theirs, and they'll find someone else to do that in time. '
      From an Amazon review of Allan Carr's ' Easy Way to Control Alcohol'

Comment

Mary, great job talking yourself out of it. Yup, our minds can be very tricky indeed. Very scary.

Well done.

Love, Me
        :l
        Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

Good job, Mary. Once again, thank you for your honesty. It really helps others to know what to expect, and clearly, it helps you too to put your thoughts down.

I'm happy for you.

:l :l
          AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Hi Mary - loved your thought processes - I know where you are coming from - I bet you felt really great after you'd managed to avoid slipping xxx

Comment

Hi Mary

Know that process so well. My problem is that the wine is always there so I can easily go from thought to action in minutes. It's a constant battle but one that is worthwhile. Being AF makes life so much better and easier.

Rustop

Comment

Rusty: I don't keep any wine in the house at all. At this point, I'm not sure I could resist. Maybe years from now, but not at this point. M
                Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                October 3, 2012

Comment

Thanks for this post Mary.
                  I felt a bit wobbly and felt like I needed some fortification from MWO before I continued with my day. This has really helped.

I have a very sullen and moody teenager and a elderly mother with senile dementia to deal with today. I have to remind myself that wine is not going to help.

Thanks
                  Janet

Comment

That's what it's all about....thinking about your thinking....

Don

Comment

Working...
                    X