Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for you brilliant long term abstainers

Hi everyone
    I have recently rejoined MWO and have just started today on my first monthly abstinence. I truly hope I will join this particular group in the future. My question is "have you noticed physical changes in yourself since you stopped drinking" I currently suffer quite badly with psoriasis and have terrible dark circles under my eyes, I also cannot lose weight even though I eat healthy and work out really hard (could be the daily bottles of wine). I am really determine to start today as my Day 1 AF of 30 and thought hearing the physical as well as the mental benefits would only add to my determination. Thanks for reading. :thanks:SetoXXXX

I have had loads of positives, loads of pounds lost...feel well in the morning and can soberly drive kids to school, more mental energy, my memory is returning too ... I now realise I had a terrible memory (that was the only part my kids enjoyed...huh !), saved money - big bonus...

lots more so stick with the 30 days at a time...

Heavenly
    ?We are one another's angels?
    Sober since 29/04/2007

Comment

Hi Seto:

Yes, I have gone through profound physical change.

I am getting comments from others like, ?You look 20 years younger?, or ?You look fit?, or ?You look like a long distance runner?, and ?your hair and skin look so much better these days.? I get questions from others a lot of ?How did you do it?

A lot of the aches and pains I had, that were arthritic in nature have all but disappeared.

I had been working out as well, and wanted to lose weight. When I finally went on a controlled carbohydrate diet (like Atkins or South Beach), along with my cross-training exercise program, then I lost the weight (over 20 lbs). Now I avoid all refined sugar, and have recently completely given up caffeine as well.

It has taken over 2 years AF to get where I?m at now, but I can most definitely say it has been worth it.

Some changes happened fast, and some changes have taken a lot longer. Probably depends on your age, and how long you drank, and how much you drank.

I used to get sick all the time when I was drinking, smoking, and pill-popping. Now I have not been sick one day with anything since I turned it all around. That alone is worth it for me.

Neil
      2 years 3 months AF

Comment

Hi Seto-

Good question!!! And congrats on making your new start.

For me it's like night and day. I have had long periods (up to 11 years) AF in the past, so when I drank it was a very good opportunity to compare and contrast (oh lovely). Here are some things I have learned:

Bloat and excess weight - I NEVER lose weight when I am drinking. I'm thinkng it might be impossible! (especially now that I am over 40). And it's not just the calories of the actual drinks. It's the KIND of calories they are , and how the ethanol/sugar effects EVERY body function - brain, digestion, liver, etc. etc. I also 'slow down' in general during the drinking lifestyle. I am naturally more energetic and enthusiastic without the 'special sauce' !

Other physical things - no hangovers! waking up feeling vital (and guilt-free), more stable 'healthy' feeling all the time. I think there is at least SOME mental component to all illness and recovery (not that it's about FAULT, or that it's not 'real' - it IS!!), but I think that in general, if one is AF or successfully moderating, there will be fewer illnesses to start, and quicker healing when they do. I am much better at self care when my drinking is not an issue - prevention AND cure!

Having said all that - I HAVE seen on this board where people became vulnerable to all kinds of colds and stuff in the early days AF. Whether it's a function of detox, or the AL was acting as some kind of 'antiseptic' (!) I don't know. These folks do seem to come back to strong health in not too long - health that is the best of their lives, they usually say.

Glad you found us and this site. Congratulations on your Day 1! :goodjob:

I hope you read and post alot, so we can get to know you .

WW

Comment

Welcome Seto,

As Wonder and Neil have said many, many physical benifits to AF. For me they have come gradually over the past 8 plus months that I have gone AF. But each month the health and vigor I feel for life increases and I didn't believe I was missing out on anything when I was drinking. Perspectve comes over time, I think.

Good Luck,

July

Comment

Hi Seto,

You had me at brilliant. I've noticed a big change in my skin it's much softer a little dry but the climate doesn't help. My hair now is back to what it was and the body aches and joint pain are much less. I still struggle with my weight. I thought when I quit drinking the weight would just drop off; not for me I've lost 12 lbs and need to lose more. I have a much better diet however I've replaced alcohol with sugar. One day I'll get a handle on my sugar but I'm happy. I still have problems with sleep but compared to what it feels like to wake-up after drinking I feel great.

Until I got control over the drinking and self sabotaging voices in my head I was miserable and on edge every minute of my life even sleeping. My life now is extraordinary but it has taken me a long time to get to where I am - 641 AF days.

Be good to yourself.

spacie

Comment

Working...
            X