Has anyone had a butt oscopy ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, I really meant "colonoscopy" :moon: but I did not want to put that in the title.

I'm having one done tomorrow morning, and in about one hour I start the laxatives. Actually, I'm kinda scared to take them. I always get stomach and intestinal bloat from drinking anymore, and now with the laxatives, I'm afraid I'm going to get severe pain and not be able to go through drinking all the stuff I'm supposed to. The doctor says if I don't take it all they may not get a clear picture. Here is what I have to take:

5:00 pm - 4 Dulcolax Tablets - on box it says take 2 to 3
    1 hour later take one 10 oz bottle of liquid Citrate of Magnesia
    3 hours later take another 10 oz bottle of liquid Citrate of Magnesia

I'm such a baby :upset: and I'm really scared about the procedure itself too....

Anyone, anything, something ??
    Miss October :blinkylove:

Miss October,

The worst part about a colonoscopy is the preparation (cleaning yourself out). You will be given something similar to liquid valium. It will relax you so much and "it" will be done before you know it. Do make sure that you drink ALL of the stuff and take everything you were told to. Otherwise, if they get in "there" and can't get good pic's you will have to do everything all over. Trust me. I am speaking from experience. They can be a life saver.
    Wishing you the strength you need right now.

Miso :heart:

Comment

Ditto Miso - the prep is the WORST. And yeah - the procedure itself was not a problem. With the valium, well, I only remembered about 2 seconds of the doctor talking, and then ........ la la land .

Good luck!! You'll feel great having gotten it over with. In every social conversation about colonoscopies from now on, you can feel smug and superior, and very proud of your healthy pink colon (ew!!!!!)

Please report back when it's over.
      Love WW xx

Comment

Miso & Wonderworld,

Thanks so much for your response. Here goes my first tablet. My 4 tablets will take me 20 minutes total. 5 minutes for each :H

Comment

Piece of cake! Had one 5 years ago and don't even remember the prep anymore. Remember the valium stuff though. "Gee this makes me feel sort of ...." And I was out. They could have put a 2 X 4 up my butt and I may not have known. :H Good on you for getting one done! Don't fret!
          sigpic
          Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Congrats on getting your colonoscopy done Miss O. I have finally decided to get mine done this summer when my daughter is home from college. I've put it off for two years, and I don't feel I can do that anymore! I'm happy that everyone says that the prep is the worst. Anyone care to say a little more about that?

:l :l
            AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

just think of it this way . you are doing a really good colon and intestinal cleanse.

good for you.

be well
              You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

Miss October..I just had a colonoscopy done but mine was nothing like what you are taking about. Sounds like you are having a Barium Enema which I will have on Thurs. A colonoscopy prep is much different than what you describe.
                You have to drink a liquid formula every 10-15 minutes for a colonoscopy.
                A Colonoscopy is an upper GI and Barium is lower GI. I am having my lower GI to see how twisted my colon is which is what is causing all the pain I have. The upper GI was for the Diverticulitis pain. And trust me with a twisted colon I felt every part of the colonoscopy, I had to have more meds. The Barium is pretty simple from what I have been told. I called the radiologist dept and they explained it in detail amd said this is a breeze compared to a colonoscopy as well as the prep. Good Luck. Let us know ok.
                If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at begin to change.

Comment

Gemmy,

Now, Miss O is a bit nervous and in the midst of "preparation", so let's not scare "it" out of her. Miss O, Gemmys experience is NOT the norm. Sorry to hear about your condition Gemmy. It sounds painful. As for her preparation, many doc's are using the Citrate of Magnesia instead of the Golightly, which makes the prep a lot easier (just in terms of the amount of stuff you have to drink). I have also had a Barium Enema and would not call it simple by any means. You have to hold the barium in, and if you let it out before they are done with the xrays, you have to start over. I hope they are able to find something to help you. Miss O and Gemmy, I wish you both well. Let us know how you are doing.

Miso

Comment

I had one recently - a barium enema that is. As everyone says the preparation was worse than the procedure itself even without being given any valium. I must have been in the cheap seats. But I must say afterwards you will have the biggest fart of your life as all that air comes back out again it frightened the life out of me and I thought I had blown my own legs off.
                    They told me afterwards that my bowel was pristine and I was so proud of it after all the abuse it has received!
                    BH

Comment

I'm so sorry, don't know anything about it, but my thoughts and prayers are with you! Good luck, thanks for sharing on here, this is all such scary stuff, it's comforting to have this site. Wow, I just ready the "boozehag" response and that was AWESOME. I love the honesty here!

Comment

Hi ! It's just after midnight and I'm still up. Imagine that, way past my bedtime.

Greeneyes, that is way too funny....a 2 x 4 :H

Young at Heart, it took me some time to make the appointment.....but it was something I just had to finally do.

TrixieTrack, a good colon cleanser, that's an understatement :eeks:

Gemmy, you sound like you have it real tough...I'm so sorry. I hope everything works out OK for you. But I am having a colonoscopy.....taking pills and liquid laxatives cleans you right out. I have had Upper GI test done for my stomach. That's where they give you a real thick liquid that you somehow have to swallow, and then they take xrays. This is for the "bottom" end :blush:

Miso, I'm doing OK now. No pain like I thought, just hunger pain, but that's going away. Not sure how long I will be up tonight, but I'm getting a lot of reading done tonight. My book is almost finished. Taking the entire day off tomorrow, so I can rest when I get home.

This is sure one fun alcohol free night......I recommend it highly.....just grab some reading material and have a seat on the :toilet:

Comment

Oh my goodness, I just read boozehags response too. I can't stop laughing. In a colonoscopy they do pump air into your colon so they can get a better picture. So you do get gas from it, that you will have to pass. I just sure hope it doesn't scare the crap out of me.....oh yeah, that won't happen....I'll be all crapped out by then :nutso:

Comment

Lmao.. this was the funniest thread to read... I've not had one.. but I guess I won't worry about it whenever I do...

GL Miss OCT!!
                            P.S. You can't love if you don't love yourself... :heart:

As you wander through life, sister/brother, whatever be your goal, keep your eye upon the donut, and not upon the hole.
                            - Sign in the Mayflower Coffee Shop, Chicago

Comment

boozegad, that was funny! I am having it done with out air so I get to miss that part. lol.. Why do people have to take valium? My colonoscopy isn't norm , most people feel nothing at all. Didn't mean to scare Miss O.
                              If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at begin to change.

Comment

Working...
                              X