Need Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Advice

I'm on day 38, taking supps every day, listening to CDs, Topamax at 200mg. First week was relatively easy for me. I thought I had stumbled on to a miracle cure. After week 1 started drinking again, but definitely noticed desire and tolerance were down. Now I?m drinking almost every night again, but it seems more out of habit than craving or addiction. I never drink in the AM or during the day and have never had bad withdrawal symptoms. I?m 41 years old, 5?11? and weigh 260lbs. No weight loss to date with Topamax. My health is terrible and I know that I have been dying a very slow death for many years now. I need to quit, but can?t seem to find that final piece of the puzzle. I?m looking for advice, any advice. Please? Feeling a bit desperate at this point. I?m out of options. AA on and off for 10+ years, just doesn?t work for me.
    -Steve
    I went to my doctor and told him I had a serious drinking problem and that I was in desperate need of a solution. He said, 'Stop drinking.' I said, 'I don't get it..' He said, 'Go home and think about it.'

Need Advice

Welcome, Steve. Well done for admitting that you need help and for the progress you have made thus far.

I am wondering about this comment....
    Quote by BigMac
    Now I?m drinking almost every night again, but it seems more out of habit than craving or addiction.
    What made you not drink that first week? Perhaps just the enthusiaism of it all? Are you still committed to the CDs? I've never used them, but I've heard that people who used them and quit listening too soon have gone back to drinking.

Are you aware of what your actual triggers are? If not, really try to hone in on these. Caffiene, stress, work, happy hour? Really give this some thought.

Just want to see if we can help you figure this out.

Love, Me
    :l
    Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

Need Advice

just join in on the band wagon and do your best .only you can make that change for yourself .as you said there are no marcle drugs.and for me i quit cold turkey . and it was hard but got it handle .just do your best write down a list of pros and cons of why you need drink or want to drink maybe that will help you to understand yourself. good luck and god bless
      :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
      best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Need Advice

Hi Steve. Welcome. You will find a lot of support here. Have you read RJ's book? It strongly recommends (and I agree) going af for 30 days before you consider moderating. That was my original plan. However, I felt so good after the 30 that I kept going. I am on day 64 today. Don't get me wrong, it has been tough at times, but I am slowly but surely getting my health back. It sounds like you have all or many of the tools. I swear by the supplements, as I don't think I could have done the first 30 without them. Make sure you take yours. Our bodies are so nutrient robbed from drinking.

Make a commitment to yourself to do the 30 days. We can help you. You will be amazed how much better you feel and how much clearer you see and think.

Miso :heart:

Comment

Need Advice

Hi Steve!

Nothing will change unless you change it. Try changing your daily routine. Replace the time you start drinking or crave drinking with something else. Keep busy. Ride out that wave. You can do it. The more days you get under your belt the stronger you'll get. Never give up! We're always here-so log on here & get busy here~LOL! best wishes.....
          :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

Need Advice

hey Steve, I think you sound like you're really sad:dunno: You are right to be worried about your health. BUT, you have tons of options out there. What are your interests? Do you live in an urban area where it would be easy to attend all kinds of different events? I love 24 hour fitness clubs....loud, busy, frantic, all kinds of people, classes and saunas (and there isn't one within 160 miles of where I live:upset Ask where ever you got the Topamax for some Antabuse and as long as you take that little pill you will not be drinking Here's hoping you get some sleep and PEACE:h:h g.

Comment

Need Advice

Thank you all. At least I know I won't drink tonight thanks to your responses! Hey Gelgit, I can drink on Antabuse.. My doctor scratches his head.
              I went to my doctor and told him I had a serious drinking problem and that I was in desperate need of a solution. He said, 'Stop drinking.' I said, 'I don't get it..' He said, 'Go home and think about it.'

Comment

Need Advice

Hey Steve - Sounds like you've got all the tools in place. Way to go.
                BUT........ 38 days and 2 posts ?!?!?! Get busy man!!! There is no WAY I could have gotten here (day ninety something) without all the support here. It's way too hard to face AL alone, much less get rid of him!

So...... keep reading and posting! Commit to those 30 days AF and don't wait. If you keep drinking over the topa, it's not good. AND - you're going to feel better and better as the AF days go by. You can do it.

Hope to see more of you -

WW

Comment

Need Advice

I hear you WW. So here's post 3! : ) No drink in sight nor even in the house. Thanks again all. This probably IS the missing piece...

Comment

Need Advice

I was going to say the exact same thing WW. Jump in BigMac and post away. Be proud of your 38 days...now you know it is possible.
                    Sometimes I wonder...."Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"...and then it hits me.

Comment

Need Advice

I should have said 38 days of taking Topamax, supps, listening to CDs, etc., not 38 days AF, but I think that came through when I said I was drinking almost every night... : ). Re-attempting 30-day AF today. I'll make sure to visit every day. It's reassuring to know there is such great support on the site. Good night all.

Comment

Need Advice

Welcome Steve and look forward to seeing you around. Sounds like you are on the right track and use the support of the people here, it comes in very handy.
                        "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Need Advice

:goodjob: :new: and am 30 days AF. We are all different but for positive reinforcement I just come here and read a few posts. Give it a try. Realizing that the hangover lasts a lot longer than the buzz is a big incentive for me.

Comment

Need Advice

I was up late reading through various threads/posts and it really started to sink in; I'm an idiot : ) 38 days on MWO with all these tools; RJ's book, Cd's, sups, topa and expecting to be AF with absolutely no outside support whatsoever. Well today is day 39 on MWO, but really day 1. Feel great this morning in large part thanks to you guys who took the time to reply to my post. So a BIG thank you!! You'll see me back daily.

Comment

Need Advice

wonderworld;307045 wrote: Hey Steve - Sounds like you've got all the tools in place. Way to go.
                              BUT........ 38 days and 2 posts ?!?!?! Get busy man!!! There is no WAY I could have gotten here (day ninety something) without all the support here. It's way too hard to face AL alone, much less get rid of him!

So...... keep reading and posting! Commit to those 30 days AF and don't wait. If you keep drinking over the topa, it's not good. AND - you're going to feel better and better as the AF days go by. You can do it.

Hope to see more of you -

WW
                              That is EXACTLy what I was going to say... Use the forum... post, post post!! When you get that feeling... POST!! I couldn't have gotten this far with No meds, NO CD's or drugs... (just my daily supps) without this forum....
                              P.S. You can't love if you don't love yourself... :heart:

As you wander through life, sister/brother, whatever be your goal, keep your eye upon the donut, and not upon the hole.
                              - Sign in the Mayflower Coffee Shop, Chicago

Comment

Working...
                              X