PDA

View Full Version : Vegemite on Toast

tawnyfrog
April 13th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Take slices of bread and put in toaster.
When popped, transfer to small plate and coat lavishly with butter.
Add Vegemite according to taste.
Fang it.

Determinator
April 13th, 2008, 09:31 PM
wowsers! I could eat that at least.....once per year!

lushy
April 13th, 2008, 09:38 PM
How exactly do I put the bread in the toaster? Lengthwise, widthwise? Do I use my fingers or tongs? Please help ASAP!!!!

panadol
April 13th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Use of tongs when inserting bread into
toaster is absolutely vital.:H

lushy
April 13th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Great but which angle is the bread? Please, I am getting frantic here.

MyOwnWoman
April 14th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Does the butter go on both sides of the toast?

And WTF is Vegemite?? and why would I want to spread it on my toast??

lushy
April 14th, 2008, 09:46 AM
MOW, you of all people should know what Vegemite is. It is some stinky, sticky yeast spread that I hear is an acquired taste.

hippie37
April 14th, 2008, 10:04 AM
The catch phrase on the advert for Marmite over here in the UK (which is similar to the Aussie national dish of vegemite!!) is "You either love it or you hate it!!"

I love it!!!! and a good scource of Vitamin B as well!!

By the way the use of tongs should be kept only for use in the bath with your toaster!! Using tongs in a dry toaster will not get you 'wired' enough to enjoy the taste of the vegemite experience.

Love and Happiness
Hippie
xx

Determinator
April 14th, 2008, 11:33 AM
I always use a metal fork to dig the toast out of the toaster

Determinatrix
April 14th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Marmite, vegemite, it does not really matter what you call it.
Just the smell will make you run from the room shrieking.

Yech.

Dx

lorisunshine
April 14th, 2008, 03:31 PM
What the hell is Vegemite and who sells it? Will the neighbors dog eat it if I don't like it? I hate wasting my money.

lushy
April 14th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Lori, did I not describe it enough for you?? It is as black as molasses, very thick like honey, and is made of rotten, curdled yeast or something like that. The Frog could probably explain it better.

And I make toast all the time when I am in the bathtub. Should I not be??

lorisunshine
April 14th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Well Lushy, scoooooooooose me if I am a little slow on the uptake pertaining to American culinary specialties or maybe I's just plain schtoopid.
So, do you think the neighbors dog will eat it or don't you?

Determinatrix
April 14th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Lori - don't count on it.
It's probably inhumane, anyway.

Dx

tawnyfrog
April 14th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Determinatrix;310572 wrote:
It's probably inhumane, anyway.

what .... and this is coming from people who tried to give us grits???????

Blaaaaagh.

lucky 2.0
April 14th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Grits are very similar to quinoa. Grits casserole is quite yummy with jalepeno Cheez Whiz. I would not eat it now but loved it back in the day before I knew Cheez Whiz is gross.

Determinatrix
April 14th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Grits are from grains; tastes like grains; still in somewhat of a grain form.
But yeast???
I stand firm on my views on the inhumanity of feeding rotten curdled yeast to animals, nevermind humans.

Ok, to tell the truth, Det and I have a family joke about this. He always kept some Marmite in the house, which I could not stand the smell of. On his most recent overdrinking binge, he insisted on eating a whole jar of Marmite on crackers and promptly threw it up. Days later he said he still had the taste in his mouth.
Predictably, we have not had Marmite or Vegemite in the house since.

Dx

lushy
April 14th, 2008, 08:15 PM
That is priceless DX. I would never eat Marmite again either.

MyOwnWoman
April 14th, 2008, 09:40 PM
I did some research today - Vegemite was created by a scientist whose charge it was to find a use for the leftover yeast from the beer making process. Does that explain a fondness for the Aussies??

Prest4time
April 14th, 2008, 10:45 PM
I've always wanted to know what a vegemite sandwich was..

Can someone please post the recipe so I can decide if my stomach will tolerate? Dx, what is in it? I was picturing sauteed red peppers, onions, topped with fresh sprouts, fresh onion, perrionchi peppers, a layer of pesto instead of mayonnaise...yummy cheeses.....

I must be off base, completely!

Well, you've just heard my version of vegemite sandwich! Oh... and only on whole grain bread, slightly toasted.

happydog
April 15th, 2008, 03:50 AM
Its funny only got marmite last week... not had it since the kids were babies... use to give them soldier toast butter and marmite and a boil egg. They loved it... my son still likes it. (not that much as he use to when he was a baby) I wonder why.:confused:

Determinatrix...I put marmite on crackers the other day not a good idea put loads of it on. Realise it taste a lot better on toast but just a tiny bit. ( got a very strong taste to it)

Dont know how long that jug of marmite is going to stay in that kitchen cupboard though!!!!

Love

Teardrop.x

Determinator
April 15th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I reckon if there was a leak on the roof of your house, you could slap a vegemite sandwich on it and that would fix it for a long time.

happydog
April 16th, 2008, 03:31 AM
Determinator;311212 wrote: I reckon if there was a leak on the roof of your house, you could slap a vegemite sandwich on it and that would fix it for a long time.
LOL..NOW i know why my kids are so tough inside.:H
At least we know what to build the ' Rocket Art' with and its cheaper.:)

Love
Teardrop.x

Guitarista
July 20th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Well, i love my vegemite.

Happy anniversary friend! xx

Determinator
July 21st, 2010, 12:58 AM
happy birthday Vegemite!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aix0cEp0N_0[/video]]YouTube - VEGEMITE AUSTRALIAN COMMERCIAL (http://[video=youtube_share;Aix0cEp0N_0)

Miss Behaving
July 21st, 2010, 01:50 AM
Love that commercial!!!

Has anyone tried it on lamingtons to replace the chocolate? I cleaned out the cupboards today and discovered 3 half used jars.

Also, should I be concerned about a "Best by" date of 2008? I'm told that "Best by" doesn't mean "Use by".

Letitia Cropley (Vicar of Dibley)

sunshinedaisies
July 21st, 2010, 02:22 PM
Ha - with Vegemite or Marmite, I think a best by date is best totally ignored!! I love both of them and always have done - I laughed at the recipe!!! Yes, I suppose it is an acquired taste though - I have yet to meet an American who likes it (I live in USA but am English and always have to bring a large jar back!).

The English shop that used to be near me had a whole tray of small Vegemite jars past their sell by date and they gave them to me - I used them up over time and they were great.

Sunshinedaisies

Pink Angel
July 21st, 2010, 06:07 PM
OK! New Zealand Marmite rocks! I have had it on toast every morning since i was two!
I am wounded that you lot dont know what it is or how to use it. If ya wana try the real thing come to NZ!
YUMMMMMMO! :nutso:

sammys
July 21st, 2010, 10:17 PM
And its so easy peasy

You rock,

Sammys

Determinator
July 26th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Sammys! how the heck you been?

ps...I'm sure we can combine vegemite with garlic and make the perfect food.

Garmite

rubywillow
July 26th, 2010, 10:18 AM
I'm sticking with peanut butter (made fresh in the store)! :H