Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Milk Thistle - anyone tried it?

Looking for some feedback....
    Save me, O God, for the waters have come up to my neck.
    Psalm 69:1

Hi comityguy. I am about to order the vitamins and milk thistle was something my doctor suggesed I stay away from..something about not good for the liver. Don't know if he's right but he knows my health history and I'll just have to trust him on this. Up to this pont my liver is fine but I don't want to take a chance on it. Don't know if I'm right or wrong on this. Good luck TraceyO

Comment

Milk thistle is to help you detox your liver.
      "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

SouthernBelle/TraceyO - Thanks for the comments. I know Milk Thistle is supposed to help detoxify the liver, but I was wondering if anyone has actually tried using it. Milk Thistle has been around since Roman times (over 2,000 years) and there have been several fairly recent scientific studies of varying statistical significance, many showing positive effects. If anyone has actually used it I would appreciate your comments/feedback.

CG

Comment

Comityguy - I've been taking it for 2 years as a form of insurance. Can't tell what it's doing because I can't see my liver but I figure any help I can give it has to be a bonus. I've probably done a lot of damage to it in the past. No side-effects.

Comment

I too have been taking it for about a month. But I started taking several supplements at that time as well. I have no way of knowing if it works. You don't "feel" anything and like Tawny says, there are no side effects. It's just a little extra insurance to help the liver rejuvinate from all the past damage. Remember that the liver is not just damaged by alcohol. The liver performs over 500 daily functions. (True, google it).

Hope that helps you.

Love, Me
            :l
            Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

Tracey, that is very odd your doctor would not recommend it. I would love to know his mindset behind it and how he thinks it is not good for the liver when it has been highly documented that it is. I have been taking it for quite a long time, and like Tawny have no assurance it is working but I have read much about it to believe it has to be.
              I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Milk thistle made me pee a lot, maybe that's a good thing
                Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                - George Jackson

Comment

Like many of the old-timers here, I have only heard great things about milk thistle as regards the liver. There is a lot of documented (as well as anecdotal) evidence. I also take it as a kind of insurance. I think it makes you sweat more while you are detoxing, which, although uncomfortable, is a good sign.

I'd really like to know what makes your doctor think it is not good for the liver, as all my personal research points to it being maybe the only thing that can help prevent and even reverse liver ailments.
                  Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

I tried it but it gave me the runs. Hmmmmm.....should I have taken it longer?
                    Noelle sez "Do want you like, like what you do. Life is Good."

Comment

I have been taking milk thistle daily for four years. In 2000 and 2001 my liver functions were high (gee, I wonder why) and my doctor even had me tested for hepatitis. My former boss, who does have Hep-C, told me to take milk thistle.

I have since had blood tests every year and my liver functions have been normal every time. In fact, I just got the highest rating for a new life insurance policy so I have the lowest possible premiums which was not the case when I applied for life insurance back in 2001. And I unfortunately still drink as much as I did then. I absolutely swear by milk thistle for anyone who drinks or has any other type of liver issues, and my new doctor agrees. Hopefully, I can get him to agree with a scrip for topa when I see him on Monday.

I have no side effects from it. The past few months I started taking kudzu, L-Glut for the cravings, and also take probiotics, peppermint oil, and active enzymes for IBS and I have no side effects from any of these either.
                      And you may ask yourself, "What is that beautiful house?" And you may ask yourself, "Where does that highway go?" And you may ask yourself,"Am I right?...Am I wrong?" And you may tell yourself..."MY GOD!...WHAT HAVE I DONE?"

Comment

Thanks for all the comments/feedback. I've been taking milk thistle for about 2 weeks -- we'll see how it goes. Like many on MWO I'm struggling with moderating my behavior... drinking alcohol, and other areas of my life.

Comment

From what I understand,

Milk thistle "helps" your liver by coming alongside your liver as the new best friend. It takes a lot of the strain off of the liver, and helps the body metabolize toxins through the skin and other body parts instead of making the liver wash all the dirty dishes every single night without help. In return, the liver begins to rest and live a normal life so to speak, and rejuvinate.

That analogy made me want to see how much milk thistle I was allowed to take! As others have said, we cant "see" into our livers, but the scientific proof is there.

So go take your Milk Thistle!
                          If you do not live the life you believe, you will believe the life you live.

Comment

Thanks for this P4T. Great info and I shall go take mine prior to resting my sober self.

Comment

I heard that the best form is a liquid or a tincture....anyone heard that?
                              nosce te ipsum
                              (Know Thyself)

Comment

Working...
                              X