PDA

View Full Version : Ready to quit smoking? or Have you already Quit?

Pages : [1] 2

LVT25
April 15th, 2008, 04:26 PM
There's been some interest expressed in a place where us ex-smokers and wanna be ex-smokers can discuss this addiction. Please feel free to hop on board for some motivation, inspiration and whatever else comes up!

I'll start....

I quit smoking (again) on March 1, 2008. I decided this time to prepare and educate myself first. (what a novel idea!) So, I got on my favorite website and started searching for books on the subject of quitting smoking. Holy crap!!!! I settled on :Allen Carr's "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" because, hey, I'll try anything that's EASY! No kidding, I wanted to be able to quit smoking and not spend the rest of my life wishing I could smoke, like so many people I know that have quit. This is a VERY good book. Buy it. The other book I bought was by Barbara Miller called "How to Quit Smoking Even if You don't Want to." I thought--YES, this is for me! It is also a really good book, some good exercises (mental) that do help in preparing to quit. Something else I decided to try was a set of self-hypnosis cd's (very similar to MWO) called Forever Smoke Free! And another cd called Stop Smoking Forever for Women-subliminal self help. I love it!
You're probably thinking, how in the hell did you have the time and money to do all this? I asked myself that too, but decided it would be money and time well spent if it did the job.
Did it, you ask? I don't think I know yet is a very honest answer. My smoking I would call more of a very well ingrained habit than an addiction to nicotine. This brings me to why I found the MWO site. Since my smoking was so TOTALLY linked with my drinking, back to Amazon.com I went. MY Way Out?!! Moderate drinking?!??! Hooray!! So, I added the supplements and the MWO cd's into my Quit smoking plan. AND...so far, so good. I had planned my quit, then had a bunch of stress, so postponed it a little, and cheated a little at first. But I am proud to say that I have had only 1 cigarette since March 8th, and that 1 cigarette was over 2 weeks ago!! I have gone from drinking probably 6-8 beers almost every night, to a few beers a couple of times over the past month.
I'm going to quit rambling, but I am pretty excited about this, I have so much to share! If I could start with just one piece of advice, it would be--don't quit cold turkey, educate yourself on ways to quit. I've heard good things about the new stop smoking drugs also. I've "met" a couple of members here that have inspired me with the NF and AF, so You guys better show up here as well!!!

:welcome: All Wanna Be ex-smokers and Ex smokers!!

memarcie
April 15th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I quit this January. I've been smoke free for 3 1/2 months! I did it using Chantix which I think is a great drug.

Dolly Sunshine
April 15th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Going on the Chantix next week. I have no problem going all day at work without one but the minute I get home I more than make up for it!!

Lorelei
April 15th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I'm the same way. Of course if I drink then I smoke even more.

When you have so many things you want to change about yourself which one do you choose first and how do you keep from getting distracted? Any techniques for managing these things would be much appreciated.

myra
April 15th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Quit smoking 19 years ago. Tried many times. But finally successful with hypnosis (duh, why am I not committed to that now?) and a strong desire to stay smoke free.

Myra

boozehag
April 15th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Anothe ex-smoker here 16 days now on chantix. No cravings no desire whatsoever it worked from day 1 with no bad side effects. Seeing as it worked from day 1 on the initial .5mg per day tablet I havent increased the dose as per the instructions. It has also completely stopped me drinking too. I have come to the conclusion that in my brain the nicotine receptors (which it blocks) and the alcohol receptors are one and the same seeing as I have always done both together and if it blocks one it also blocks the other at the same time. Two of my friends who are heavy smokers are waiting for me to make it 30 days as we have a bet that if I can do 30 days then they will give up too. They are getting very worried now because they didnt think I could do it and now I am on day 16 they know its going to happen. They have been smoking around me and it has not bothered me at all other than the smell making me feel sick.
BH

lukalee
April 15th, 2008, 07:28 PM
I really want to try the Chantix, but my doctor has failed to call me back, so I may try another route. Has anyone heard of Lobelia? It is an herb and supposed to take away the cravings.

Bambi
April 15th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Yes I would love to join..... I quit in June of '06, after 20 year, 2 plus pack a day habit.... with wellburtiun and stayed quit for a good 10 months then stress and major life hit and I decided to buy "one" pack.....well 1 year later here i am still smoking again! Granted alot less, but back again...and drinking again too! Would love to give up both!

Hugs, Bambi

LVT25
April 15th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Thanks everybody for jumping in!!!

Secondchance & Myra--you are my heros!

Boozehag & memarcie--you could do some commercials for Chantix!!

Those who are new to quitting like me--hang in there with me!!

Those that want to quit--we'll try to help, right guys?

I just had a couple of beers, a friend came over, and not realizing I quit smoking, he lit one up!!!! As I explained it was still very hard to resist when I have a beer, he put it out. But in the past, I would have given in and had one with him.:) Good news is, only 2 beers and 0 ciggies!

Maybe a good question would be---what makes (made) you want to light up?
With me it's talking on the phone with a friend, ( and of course a beer)
Working outside when it's nice for a reward (and a beer)
Cleaning house for a reward (and a beer) see a pattern developing?
Socializing.

The last thing I want to do here, is jeopardize anyone's quit on smoking or AL, so please let me know if this thread brings that to the surface, please, ok????

barebones
April 16th, 2008, 01:11 AM
well my quit date is 4/28 and in the next two weeks im cutting down to 30 and then 20 a day, will be more if chamtix helps more.

ive been a heavy smoker for 15 years, well at begining i guess wasnt as much as it is now, i did smoke more when drinking and stressed. i am addicted to smoking aswell have the habit so i will need to change things. which im trying to do in this 2 weeks. i am only 46 AF but im confident that it wont effect my sobriety. so im up and totaly in doing this challenge, i have all ready saved money im saving from cutting down.

so i think lets do this girls! hehe and for the long term no smokers, is i hope they can help us :)

take care everyone.

Dolly Sunshine
April 16th, 2008, 05:06 AM
OMG the phone thing when I'm home is a killer. So what I'm trying to do now is when the phone rings and it's someone I think I may be on with for a while I empty out a kitchen drawer or cupboard and rearrange it. I also think that I'm going to take up crocheting again to keep busy in the evening. Boredom(even though there is plenty I could be doing) is a real trigger for me with both aAL and smoking. Great thread btw. Thanks.

LVT25
April 16th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Dolly, that is a great idea to clean a cupboard or drawer while on the phone!!! I have been reading lots, but that is not very productive and can't do that while on the phone. I will admit, I screen my calls, and if it's someone I used to smoke with, I will call them back in the morning when I know I won't feel like a smoke.

Something I noticed this morning also, and this may sound weird to some, but I can actually wear my clothes more than once now between washings--BECAUSE THEY DON'T SMELL LIKE CIGARETTE SMOKE!!!!!

Have a great day everyone!!

:rockon:

LVT25
April 16th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Helpful websites

I saw this advertised on TV just now..looks pretty good:

Become an EX (http://www.becomeanex.org/)

I used this one when I first quit:

Site map (http://www.quitnet.com/qn_sitemap.jtml?section=MYQ)

There are lots of them out there if you google it.

memarcie
April 16th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I know exactly what you mean about the clothes LVT. Last month I went out to a bar with my friends for dinner and I had to wash my coat when I got home because it smelled so smokey!

Palatia
April 16th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Thank you for starting this thread.. and the great info!! One of the main reasons for me to stop drinking was to be able to stop smoking... Well, not drinking automatically decreases my smoking... but I need to work on the smoking next..

I will check out your resources... also another online tool is quitnet.com.. anyone have xp with this?

livingfree
April 16th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Hey Mimi!

Here I am X-Smoking 5 1/2 months ~ X-Drinking 3 1/2 months! I've posted my quit smoking story so many times on these forums - I need to go find and cut and paste!!!!!:H

I think quitting smoking was/is WAY harder than quitting drinking and I think quitting drinking has NOT been easy!! :H What an addict I was - but no more! Every week gets better and better!

I'll check back here - Thanks Mimi for starting this

Liv

Dolly Sunshine
April 16th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Does anyone know if Topa is ok to take with Chantix? I'm sure I could look it up...but I'm lazy :)

LVT25
April 18th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Good morning all EX-smokers and soon-to-be ex smokers!!

Dolly, hope you found the answer to your question.

I just wanted to check in with you all and tell you I passed another test last night. Went out for Mexican food, Margaritas special, the bartender is a smoker friend of mine. Had a "thought" about bumming a smoke, but put it out of my head quickly. Too many reasons not to--got the nicotine out of my system--no need to put any more back!! Then I shared with a friend that I have quit smoking, I haven't done this much. told her not to congratulate me until I go 6 months or so. I'm right at the point I couldn't seem to get over on past quits.

Hope everyone has a great Friday and getting ready to quit!!:)

Dolly Sunshine
April 18th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Good for you!!! Great job :)

barebones
April 19th, 2008, 01:22 AM
good job LVT

i have only 9 days to go till i quit, im just starting the double dose of chamtix so hopefully it will kick in and i will feel no cravings. i have also cut down to 30 and tomorrow or mon im going down to 20.

so looking forward to this, i have all the support ready and waiting.

boozehag
April 19th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Good luck barebones. I am still only taking the initial .5mg dose - one per day and its still working for me. I chop the 1mg in half and take half. Keep me posted how you go. I have had no side effects other than good ones so I dont want to stop now but am conscious of the bad press. The guy was in the UK and had never suffered from depression apparently. He stabbed himself in the heart and legs. It does seem as if champix played a part. Anyway good luck with the pills and the non smoking. In my case it is definitely the lesser of three evils.
BH

LVT25
April 19th, 2008, 08:53 AM
good morning,
I am curious. Is there any kind of "psychological" program that goes along with the chantix? I know with me at least, the habit was so embedded in my brain.

barebones
April 19th, 2008, 10:46 AM
lvt there is a quit program that goes with chamtix, here is link to it, its usa based so thats fine for us peeps. Quitting – CHANTIX Official Site – CHANTIX is a Prescription Medicine to Help Adults Stop Smoking (http://www.chantix.com/content/Chantix_Branded_Homepage.jsp?setShowOn=../content/Chantix_Branded_Homepage.jsp&setShowHighlightOn=../content/Chantix_Branded_Homepage.jsp)

thanks boozebag for your good luck. but i have news :( i started chamtix on tues morn, then came wed i started to feel a bit sick, thought maybe havent eaten or somthing. but then came thur, i had it again this time went a bit longer, then fri had it again and it went on and off over the day with a bit of dizzyness, then sat morn, dam i could of been sick, i had to say no to horse riding as i was feeling pretty bad. so in the end it looks like its the chamtix, i phoned up chemist and spoke to someone there and they said that the side effects dont go away which i was hoping it would. so looks like i have to find another way instead. so going to make appointment with doc for this week. im still going ahead with 4/28 though so not to worry, im going to do this even if it kills me lol.

lukalee
April 20th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I don't know if I want to promote this quite yet, but I started Lobelia yesterday, and it so far so good.

barebones
April 20th, 2008, 03:43 PM
hi luka, never heard of it before. i hope it carries on working for u.

tomorrow im going to my chemist to see if i can get a inhaler(nrt) to cut down this week before i go onto the patches next mon. im hoping to get doc appointment somtime this week to see if i can get month supply of patches so i dont have to go weekly. i did think about zyban, but i guess really i would get side effects of that aswell, as i do know im sensitive to meds its just that being on a anti d just now i thought i was over being sensitive, but chamtix just proved im not.

so anyway im still going to be doint this even if its just the patches. im going to give my best just like ive done to the alcohol. so hopfully soon i will be saying 51 days AF and 7 or what ever days SF :)

anyway all keep up the good work. speak soon.

LVT25
April 21st, 2008, 10:00 AM
Good Monday all--

Thought I'd check in quick. Barebones, bummer about the chantix--I tried wellbutrin once, but you're not supposed to drink with it so I quit--smart huh?? My smoking addiction is so much mental, I don't think the drugs, or NR would have helped me much. I would think being a heavy smoker, it would be harder to quit. The programs I followed had me switch brands for my last pack--went to a really cheap generic cig that tasted even worse than what I smoked. I think that did help though. I also think the hypnotic and other cd's I'm using really help!

I went to the bar with friends Sat night, and the place was so smoke filled. I honestly didn't want to smoke, and hated the smell on me when I left. It was actually harder as I was getting ready to go out, as I had worked hard all day, and normally that and a beer was my reward.

Luka--I take some supps that I ordered when I first quit--have lots of stuff in them, lobelia is in there. I don't know if they helped or not, but I gotta think so!

Wishing everyone a great day!! :)

LVT25
April 22nd, 2008, 02:55 PM
video

Funny but not funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvnTKRcnfX4&NR=1[/video]]YouTube - addiction

lukalee
April 22nd, 2008, 10:20 PM
I plan on quitting on the 28th too. The Lobelia seems to be doing something. Saturday after I took one, I would light a cigarette, smoke half, and then put it out; just seemed rotten.

barebones
April 23rd, 2008, 12:19 AM
hey luka, fancy being quitting buddies? lol we may find it helpful. i have cut down the amount, i still havent used the inhalor yet but i will. so only 4 days to go.

i have recognised when i smoke more, its in the morning and evening, so now i just have to try and do somthing to cut that down.

LVT25
April 24th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Had a close call with smoking last night. Got caught in town during a bad storm. Kids were home alone, and me and my "new old" car were without shelter!! Found shelter at a friend's vacant house, called kids from her basement, everybody was fine. I was shaking so bad. Found out another friend lost her home to the tornado, and other friends had lots of damage. When my friends showed up to shelter their vehicles I almost asked for a smoke. I am so very, really glad I didn't!! I've got to quit thinking like that!!

barebones
April 25th, 2008, 12:59 AM
aww LVT im sry u had very bad weather, and really good on not taking a smoke. your doing great!

only 3 days till quit day

take care speak soon xx

Accountable for Me
April 25th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Good luck to all that have quit or are gaining the drive to quit. I am on day 5 of no ciggies (or al) and I am feeling pretty darn good! Food is starting to taste better with the exception of coffee and garlic - both pretty powerful at the moment. My wheezing is gone.

I have been avidly washing all coats, and anything else that had been exposed to ciggies.

I have attempted a couple of times in the past year. Didn't get very far. VERY determined to do it this time.

barebones
April 26th, 2008, 12:51 AM
very well done! goo luck on ur journey.

i will be joining u in couple of days. my day is monday.

flyinhigh
April 26th, 2008, 09:16 AM
hey all

hello ex smokers and others....i am a smoker with a desire to quit....
I wanted to share something with you all. My boyfriend (non smoker) made me watch it. This song has been in my head lately and it really makes me not want to smoke. Hope you like!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRHvZazd4IM[/video]]YouTube - You don't always die from tobacco.

boozehag
April 26th, 2008, 04:37 PM
oh that is scary stuff. So glad I am not smoking any more - day 26 Al and nico free today. I have a friend who got throat cancer about 2 years ago went through the whole chemo thing. Had surgery on his throat and couldnt speak or eat except liquids for 6 months. He was ok for a while but is now hospitalised full time and cannot speak or eat and is basically dying slowly. He is 53 and was a heavy smoker all his life. For some reason we dont think it can happen to us but it sure can.
BH

Accountable for Me
April 26th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Coming to the end of day 6 free, of both, alcohol and ciggies! Feeling sooo great and strong. It helped today was a beautiful day and was outside to enjoy most of it.

I bet you are getting excited Barebones! We will be here to spur you on!

Keep on going the rest of you. It is a great feeling to be rid of these evils!

barebones
April 27th, 2008, 02:10 AM
hey all, yes i bet u do feel great and that accountable, i felt like that when i came off AL.

oh and yep im excited, problem is ive been a bit low past couple of days, but im sure i will be fine for monday. so only 1 day to go.

all the best everyone, keep it up.

Accountable for Me
April 27th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Sorry you are feeling a bit low barebones. Maybe a nice brisk walk to pep you up a bit? I don't want to pry but if there is something we can 'help' you with?

We will be here to support you in every way possible come Monday!

LVT25
April 27th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Here's one to get you started barebones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TL2Vh7goJc[/video]]YouTube - Quit Smoking Advice

LVT25
April 27th, 2008, 04:53 PM
You sound great Accountable! Keep going!! May 1, will be 60 days NF for me!!

barebones
April 28th, 2008, 01:24 AM
well todays the day, i binned everything last night that was associated with smoking, i have stickies note paper to post around the place to remind me what im doing.

so woot day 1 and 22 min into it and im having my cup of tea and reading my forums.

oh and congrats lvt on the 60 days to come, i will be 60 days AF so i hope to have the NF days ahead of me.

take care all talk to u later :)

LVT25
April 28th, 2008, 09:46 AM
You can do it barebones!!!

Accountable for Me
April 28th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Great going being NF there LV! I can't wait to be 60 days ;-)

You can do this barebones!!!

Day 7 and feeling great!!! Have a bit more energy and some restless energy. My house is definitely becoming immaculate having all of this 'free' time!

Keep it going everyone!

barebones
April 29th, 2008, 01:41 AM
thanks everyone, i hope u are all doing great this morning.

1 day, 7 hours, 40 minutes and 13 seconds smoke free.

46 cigarettes not smoked.
?8.65 and 8 hours of your life saved.

Your quit date: 4/28/2008

boozehag
April 29th, 2008, 02:51 AM
You go barebones. I am still on the champix with no side effects and no smoking coming up to day 30 tomorrow! I am pretty sure I have it beat now. Will be keeping an eye out for you on your NF journey. Best of luck. Think how good it will be to be a non drinker and a non smoker..... sainthood after that no doubt...
BH

LVT25
April 29th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Great job you guys!! Every day we go without a cigarette gets us closer to being quit forever. I read something about people who drink AND smoke together---I'll post the details when I have more time later. It was something I'd never heard before.

Stay tuned............and keep up the great work!!

Accountable for Me
April 29th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Great job everyone!!!

Don't you love those cig counters, barebones? You are doing marvelous!!

Day 8 and feelin' great! My chest is feeling a bit tight and had a bit of a coughing fit in bed last night. A good sign that things are starting to heal. (I hope).

Keep up the great work!

barebones
April 29th, 2008, 12:33 PM
thank u booze and acountable, u go girls! also our sweet lvt.

*we can do this!* we are not a slave to the white poiseness stick!

go go go girls, can we do this? YES WE CAN!

lol can u see that im hyper today? lol

LVT25
April 29th, 2008, 10:28 PM
:h AWWWWWW....thanks for calling me sweet barebones. You just made my day!!:)

Don't ya just love waking up without that shitty taste in your mouth???:H

Accountable for Me
April 29th, 2008, 10:29 PM
LVT25;319074 wrote:
Don't ya just love waking up without that shitty taste in your mouth???:H
:H

barebones
April 30th, 2008, 01:15 AM
have been quit for 2 Days, 7 hours, 14 minutes and 33 seconds (2 days). I have saved ?22.78 by not smoking 92 cigarettes. I have saved 7 hours and 40 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 28/04/2008 00:00

woooo!
weeee another day free from that shitty taste lol in mouth as lvt puts it.

boozehag
April 30th, 2008, 01:25 AM
My god what are you going to do with all that money - oh thats right you are going to have to save it for your old age!
BH

FallenAngel
April 30th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Aren't you glad we don't have to worry about this anymore??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq2vRm5fgJQ[/video]]YouTube - Smoking On The Balcony

LVT25
April 30th, 2008, 09:18 AM
:omg

:H:H

I am really glad now Msguided!!

LVT25
April 30th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Here it is...

I read this in "The Detox Diet Book"

"Cigarette smoke & alcohol combined are thought to create ethyl nitrate, which is a strong mutagen."

Which means it changes DNA---increasing cancer risk.

Yet another great reason to quit!!

Accountable for Me
April 30th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Oh, that is lovely eh, LV. Glad to not be smoking or drinking anymore. Definitely gives one the incentive to stay quit.

Sounds like everyone is doing very well! Great job barebones!!!! You keep at er'!

Day 9 and feelin' fine!! My sense of smell is coming back.......... good and not so good ;-)

barebones
April 30th, 2008, 01:05 PM
hi accountable good job on 9 days! its funny i also have found my sense of smell coming back and its only 3 days, and yeah it might not allways be good lol.

oh and i got some good news today, my dietitian weighed me today and i have lost anotehr 2 1/2 pounds this week. weee lets see if giving up smoking makes a diffrence.

LVT25
May 1st, 2008, 04:03 PM
I just wanted to pop in and see how it's going. I'm 2 months NF today (or pretty close)! I just wanted to remind you, it really does get easier!

Hang in there!!

Beaches
May 1st, 2008, 08:49 PM
I am in late and can't read all the posts but how are you all quitting? Cold turkey, nicotine replacement or chantix? I have cut down (closet smoker here) and will be done before a trip I have at the end of the month. Just want to know what works best.

boozehag
May 1st, 2008, 08:57 PM
Hi Beaches
I think it is a combination of all 3! I am on champix which is working really well for me. It didnt work for Barebones as it made her sick and I think she mentioned she was getting NR stuff. Not sure about the others cold turkey maybe. Like everything I think it is a matter of trial and error and what works best for the person. I tried the nicotine gum and puffer but I didnt find them a help. Anyway do join us the more the merrier. I am only 31 days NF but I am sure I have it beat I doubt I will ever smoke again.
BH

barebones
May 2nd, 2008, 01:03 AM
welcome beaches, booze bag pretty much said it. im on the patches and inhalor and this time around it is working.

I have been quit for 4 Days, 7 hours, 2 minutes and 39 seconds (4 days). I have saved ?42.50 by not smoking 171 cigarettes. I have saved 14 hours and 15 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 28/04/2008 00:00

LVT25
May 2nd, 2008, 11:29 AM
Good morning and Hello Beaches :welcome:

I'm behind as usual this morning, but if you start at the top of this thread you should see what all I used to help me quit. I think it's really important to be educated about the addiction or habit and really prepare yourself to quit. I highly recommend Allen Carr's book. I also used hypnotherapy and subliminal cd's. And I had to quit drinking beer, because that is the only time I smoked. That's how I found this place, and I started at Quitnet.com, but like this forum so much better! There are more health risks to smokers that drink!

Keep coming back here, ok?:)

barebones
May 3rd, 2008, 01:39 AM
morning all, i hope u are all doing well. its my first weekend as a no smoker and i think its great.
good luck to everyone else. xx

have been quit for 5 Days, 7 hours, 39 minutes and 34 seconds (5 days). I have saved ?52.65 by not smoking 212 cigarettes. I have saved 17 hours and 40 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 28/04/2008 00:00

LVT25
May 3rd, 2008, 09:46 AM
Barebones--I love your attitude!! (do you feel better yet?)

LVT25
May 5th, 2008, 08:58 AM
A little quit smoking humor to start your NF free week!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2dk5xTwJ_M[/video]]YouTube - Quit Smoking

Our legislation passed a smoking ban starting next summer. I think it's communism, I feel for the businesses such as bars, etc. But I'm glad I don't have to stress out about not being able to light up when and where I want to!

Accountable for Me
May 5th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Whoo hoo! Day 14 for me Al and Ciggie free. I am certainly feeling really good and in control.

Keep on going everyone!

barebones
May 6th, 2008, 12:59 AM
well done accountable!
keep going girl

I have been quit for 1 Week, 1 Day, 6 hours, 58 minutes and 54 seconds (8 days). I have saved ?82.07 by not smoking 331 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 3 hours and 35 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 28/04/2008 00:00

LVT25
May 6th, 2008, 09:36 AM
YOU GUYS ROCK--KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!

Accountable for Me
May 8th, 2008, 09:23 AM
How is everyone doing in here? I am still going strong. Day 17 here no AL or ciggies!

LVT25
May 8th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Hello everyone! Great job accountable! Barebones, where are u?

I've been here for over 2 months and i just now checked out the "Research" forum. Talk about tons of info!
Anyway, there's a good thread there with an interesting link about alcohol and nicotine. If you have time, check it out!

barebones
May 9th, 2008, 12:46 AM
hi ya both, well done acountable, u go girl.

I have been quit for 1 Week, 4 Days, 6 hours, 45 minutes and 39 seconds (11 days). I have saved ?111.68 by not smoking 451 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 13 hours and 35 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 28/04/2008 00:00

and i am 70 days AF :)

speak to u both soon, keep at it.

Accountable for Me
May 9th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Whoooooo Hoooooo barebones! You are trucking right along! AF for 70 days as well!!!!! Congrats with that!!!!!! :goodjob:

barebones
May 9th, 2008, 04:12 PM
thanks accountable, i wont be around this weekend, im off to a AA convention. so i will report how i got on with no smoking on monday. so monday i would of past the 14 day mark. :)

speak to u both soon, take care, and keep going.

boozehag
May 9th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Hi all
I have must be about 40 days or so NF and I am pretty sure I will never smoke again. I have also come off the champix now too as I think I have broken the bing drinking/smoking pattern and although I personally didnt really experience any side effects it was a bit worrying all the bad press. I would definitely go back on it again if I felt any urges to drink/smoke and it was truly a miracle drug for me. As for the alcohol for some reason my brain does not really crave it now compared with before when I would be gagging for both drink and fags every 3/4 days. I have come to the conclusions that because my brain was used to the double whammy of nicotene and alcohol at the same time in a massive dose "it" (my brain that is) is now saying well %#$@ you there isnt much point in drinking if you wont give us any cigs! I am starting to think that I am actually lucky I was a binge drinker/smoker as it seems if one goes so does the other. I could be wrong of course (wouldnt be the first time!) but who cares for now I am not smoking and have no desire to drink either so its all good.
Well done every one else too.
Looking forward to keeping up with your progress. BB do tell us all about the AA conference.
BH

Accountable for Me
May 9th, 2008, 09:53 PM
WOW! boozehag - that is SOOOOO great!!!! Sounds like you are well on your way! I love this thread because of the success each of you are having, and sounding pretty darn good along the way. It keep me in check - and motivated to keep on going! :goodjob:

barbones, let us know how your conference went when you get back. It sounds like it could be a lot of fun. I am dying to meet other soberites so I can go out and do things with people that don't drink. Only because I know I am weak, and don't have the self confidence yet to abstain around others drinking.

Have a good one everyone!

barebones
May 12th, 2008, 04:34 AM
morning everyone, i hope everyone has been able to be smoke free this weekend.

the AA convention was great, there was some great shares and there was dancing at night, which was funny, as everyone was happy and all they was doing was having irn bru and diet coke lol. i stayed in a lovely hotel which i went to gym and had a sauna and steam room so that was luxery. had lovely room aswell which i shared with my sponsor, we had to kingsize beds each. hehe. so yeah it was really interesting the whole thing and i never thought about booze once. people i met was nice people and some had alot of sobriety behind them. so i think i will go next year to this one again. they do have other conventions around the world which maybe one day i will go to one of them. :)

so hope u all had good weekend

its 73 days AF
I have been quit for 2 Weeks, 10 hours, 34 minutes and 30 seconds (14 days). I have saved ?142.96 by not smoking 577 cigarettes. I have saved 2 Days and 5 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 28/04/2008 00:00

(((hugs)))

LVT25
May 12th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Hi guys, sounds like everyone is doing really well.

boozhag--I'm thinking just like you, I simply don't enjoy drinking if I can't smoke with it! I NEVER smoked unless I drank and I NEVER drank unless I smoked. So it makes it soooo much easier to quit smoking if I don't drink. I did test the waters again yesterday. Didn't really have an overwhelming urge to smoke, but did drink more than I should have. I'm feeling it today--so I'm getting back on my own little world and doing what I gotta do for me. No more trying to do what others want or what I perceive they expect!

Hang in there with me everybody!!

FloridaBoy
May 12th, 2008, 06:18 PM
boozehag;324120 wrote: Hi all
I have must be about 40 days or so NF and I am pretty sure I will never smoke again. I have also come off the champix now too as I think I have broken the bing drinking/smoking pattern and although I personally didnt really experience any side effects it was a bit worrying all the bad press. I would definitely go back on it again if I felt any urges to drink/smoke and it was truly a miracle drug for me. As for the alcohol for some reason my brain does not really crave it now compared with before when I would be gagging for both drink and fags every 3/4 days. I have come to the conclusions that because my brain was used to the double whammy of nicotene and alcohol at the same time in a massive dose "it" (my brain that is) is now saying well %#$@ you there isnt much point in drinking if you wont give us any cigs! I am starting to think that I am actually lucky I was a binge drinker/smoker as it seems if one goes so does the other. I could be wrong of course (wouldnt be the first time!) but who cares for now I am not smoking and have no desire to drink either so its all good.
Well done every one else too.
Looking forward to keeping up with your progress. BB do tell us all about the AA conference.
BH

:goodjob: BH,

I sent you a PM and will be going on the Chantrix soon. Bye bye booze and tobacco. I gave my cigars away a few weeks ago. :upset: not really. :)

FB

LVT25
May 12th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Welcome aboard Florida boy!:)

Accountable for Me
May 12th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Welcome aboard Florida Boy! It is well worth it....!!

Sounds like everyone here is still doing very well!

I am ending 21 days AF/Ciggie free. Feeling great!

barebones
May 13th, 2008, 01:39 AM
hi florida boy and welcome.

im here for u LVT, dont worry about the booze just take it a day at a time and u will get there.

accountable good for u on both things. ofcause u feel great. :) well done

im 74 days AF
I have been quit for 2 Weeks, 1 Day, 7 hours, 38 minutes and 39 seconds (15 days). I have saved ?151.64 by not smoking 612 cigarettes. I have saved 2 Days and 3 hours of my life. My Quit Date: 28/04/2008 00:00

barebones
May 16th, 2008, 12:18 AM
hi all, how are u all doing?

its day 76 AF for me and also woot cant wait for my first month of SF.

I have been quit for 2 Weeks, 4 Days, 6 hours, 18 minutes and 25 seconds (18 days). I have saved ?180.79 by not smoking 730 cigarettes. I have saved 2 Days, 12 hours and 50 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 28/04/2008 00:00

LVT25
May 16th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Hey there,
I looked at my stats on quitnet this morning, and I'm 70+ days NF!! I guess i quit smokina bout the same time you quit drinking barebones! I'm so happy for you, keep up the good work!

Accountable for Me
May 16th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Hi you guys! You guys are doing sooooooooooooooo great!!!

I am at day 25 today AL free/NF. Feeling pretty darn good other than hacking up a lung or two. :H

Keep on going everyone!

boozehag
May 16th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Yup good work to us all. Day 47 for me. Up early early this Saturday morning to an beautiful foggy winter morning (well if you call 12 degrees winter and some do believe it not!) here in NZ. Another smoke free and alcohol free day ahead. Joy joy joy.
We are truly some of the lucky ones.
Still thinking about poor Bear and what fu@%ing bad luck he had.
BH

barebones
May 17th, 2008, 12:22 AM
good job booze and accountable and LVT, keep on going :)

as u know im on the patches, so in 2 or 3 weeks i have to reduce the amount and also cut down on using the inhalor, so i will see how i get on.

good luck and have good weekend.

take care

I have been quit for 2 Weeks, 5 Days, 6 hours, 22 minutes and 42 seconds (19 days). I have saved ?190.72 by not smoking 770 cigarettes. I have saved 2 Days, 16 hours and 10 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 28/04/2008 00:00

boozehag
May 19th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Hey all
We cant let this thread die. Barebones how are you going. How much money have you saved now? Florida Boy have you started the Champix yet and if so whats your reaction to it. How you going Accountable and LVT25? All still fag free!
BH

Accountable for Me
May 20th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Hi.... yes, I am still on the AF/Ciggie Free bandwagon! I am on day 29 now.

I had a super busy weekend and wasn't able to come on here much. It was also a long weekend here.

Feeling pretty good! My chest is a little tight again. I guess it is par for the course. It kind of feels like the lungs are going to crack. LOL.

Nice to see you, boozehag. (I laugh EVERY time I see your alias)

How about the rest of you? How are you all doing?

LVT25
May 20th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Thanks boozehag I guess everyone is doing great! I was skeptical at first, but it really does get easier! it helps I'm still not around my smoking friends much at all. I've been gardening and working outside and that was always the time I wanted beer and ciggies. This weekend a friend mentioned she was going to go home and have a ciggie and a beer, and I thought "that sounds really good." But I went home and ate some food and drank tea instead. Maybe someday it won't "sound good". This weekend we are going to a bbq birthday party. That will be a test. If I just nibble, take it real easy on the beer, I will be ok.

barebones
May 20th, 2008, 09:25 AM
hi ya peeps!

ive been ok, except this past weekend and yesterday, my mood dropped and that, but it wasnt anything to do with the cigs or al. but things is better today. i went to see this lady who deals with people giving up smoking, she is going to see me once a week to help and support me for 3 months, which will be a added bonus for me. she deals with mental health peeps and quitting smoking. which is what i need. also i saw my first doc at a substance abuse clinic yesterday, he is going to send me to a nurse who will see me and see how im getting on not drinking. so again all the support i can get is going to be great. so im glad u all are still at it, also good luck LV for ur BBQ, just stay positive and remeber that ur a non smoker.

its day 81 AF for me

I have been quit for 3 Weeks, 1 Day, 15 hours, 24 minutes and 46 seconds (22 days). I have saved ?224.15 by not smoking 905 cigarettes. I have saved 3 Days, 3 hours and 25 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 28/04/2008 00:00

speak soon, so keep us updated in how u are all getting on. i will keep posting.

Accountable for Me
May 20th, 2008, 11:00 AM
barebones, I completely agree about the importance of getting 'additional' help if you need it.

I really want to stay AF and cigarette free very badly. I am seeing a counselor on June 10th to help me with personal issues that lead to my abusing alcohol etc. I very much want a 'healthy' life, both physically, and mentally.

I will see this therapist for 7 sessions and then, possibly, go into group therapy. I am VERY excited.

You are doing very well with your sobriety & not smoking. We all have down days.... and you are doing great riding them out!

Great job everyone! Good luck with the BBQ LVT. I know you will do great because you have a plan!!

boozehag
May 23rd, 2008, 04:58 AM
I better bump this up so we dont lose it. I was out with friends for lunch yesterday - both smokers and they both lit up as we left the cafe - I just stood there chatting to them and trying to avoid breathing in the smoke but it never occurred to me that I should have one and it never occurred to them either. I tried to remember today what I looked like/felt like smoking and I just couldnt picture me smoking. Its only a week short of two months but I guess it means I am not a smoker anymore - yipee! Hope your all doing ok. Barebones how you going with the patches?
BH

LVT25
May 23rd, 2008, 08:59 AM
That's great BH! I think I'm there, but I just don't trust myself yet. When I've been around the stinky things I think just that--how stinky!! My fear is I'll drink too much, and then my inhibitions will be set free! I will have a test tomorrow, but as long as I eat, I should be ok. I may have to go home early, but oh, well. If my friends don't understand tough shit!!

barebones
May 23rd, 2008, 09:27 AM
hi all, hope u all are doing fine. accountable good luck with the therapy, i understand what its like as ive been through it and am still going through it.

i will be going onto my 4th week soon, i cant wait to get my first month under my belt. speak to u all soon, take care all.

I have been quit for 3 Weeks, 4 Days, 15 hours, 27 minutes and 9 seconds (25 days). I have saved ?253.87 by not smoking 1,025 cigarettes. I have saved 3 Days, 13 hours and 25 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 28/04/2008 00:00

LVT25
May 24th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Ok you guys---send me positive vibes!! I'm going to BBQ with smoking and drinking friends! I need willpower and a brain!! I can do this--won't be that hard, will it??

I am a non smoker, I am a non smoker, I am a non smoker!!

Accountable for Me
May 24th, 2008, 10:38 AM
I am sending you TONS of positive vibes!! TONS and TONS!

You can do this.... keep telling yourself that smoking is DISGUSTING! Stinky, sickly, waste of money, health and time, disgusting!

Accountable for Me
May 24th, 2008, 10:39 AM
I had a 'drag' off of one the day before yesterday, and it was GROSS! After almost 5 weeks, it totally tasted like chemicals.

I certainly am happy I am not smoking any more. Oh, and the smell on others.............. ewwwwwe!

LVT25
May 24th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Thanks accountable. I so wish that I didn't worry about this so. The "thoughts" keep coming. Like, maybe i could just pick up a pack of those "flavored" cigars...I wouldn't inhale.....I know it would taste like shit. i told my husband after almost 3 months,you would think I wouldn't want to smoke. It must be soooo ingrained in my brain. I think I'll gt my books and cds out before I go.
thanks for the support and vibes... I can feel them!!

Accountable for Me
May 24th, 2008, 01:37 PM
My dad said that the toughest times for quitting happens in threes. The 3rd week of quitting smoking, the third month, etc. He use to smoke 3 packs a day - no lie for like 30 years. He gave them up in 93, and has been my biggest nag since LOL! :H

barebones
May 25th, 2008, 01:09 AM
Hi ya girls, u can do the bbq LV, just think positive thoughts.

I have been quit for 3 Weeks, 6 Days, 7 hours, 9 minutes and 22 seconds (27 days). I have saved ?270.24 by not smoking 1,091 cigarettes. I have saved 3 Days, 18 hours and 55 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 28/04/2008 00:00

LVT25
May 25th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Hate to admit this to you guys, but I caved. As a matter of fact, I barely tried. I almost bought cigars when I bought my beer for the bbq, the cashier talked me out of it. When I got around my friends and watched them enjoy their ciggies, I just had to have one. And I did, and then 3 more during the evening. STUPID!! I hope it doesn't trigger me to start in again. I really don't think so. Please stay stronger than I am. I absolutely hated the shitty taste in my mouth this morning, and I pretty much felt like crap today.

Sorry, I feel like I've let you down.
:upset:

Maybe next time I have such an event (will be 4th of July) I will wear mittens! :) I'm calling this a slip, still going to be 90 days NF on June 1.

boozehag
May 25th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Hey LVT25 - you certainly havent let us down now way. It is not your fault I totally blame your friends! Mine would refuse to give me any now even if I begged!
Do you think it was the nicotine or the mental habit that called you?
Maybe next time plan ahead and get some nicorette gum or get one of those plastic cigarettes with the nicotene and puff on that instead might get you over the hump.
Yep keep counting.
BH

Accountable for Me
May 25th, 2008, 11:25 PM
boozehag;332570 wrote: Hey LVT25 - you certainly havent let us down now way. It is not your fault I totally blame your friends! Mine would refuse to give me any now even if I begged!
Do you think it was the nicotine or the mental habit that called you?
Maybe next time plan ahead and get some nicorette gum or get one of those plastic cigarettes with the nicotene and puff on that instead might get you over the hump.
Yep keep counting.
BH
boozehag took the words right out of my mouth. Nicorette Gum works wonders in a pinch! You definitely did not let us down. My gosh, a slip is just that - a slip! :l

barebones
May 26th, 2008, 01:22 AM
i cant say anything more than whats been said.
hope to see u carry on no smoking.

I have been quit for 4 Weeks, 7 hours, 22 minutes and 17 seconds (28 days). I have saved ?280.23 by not smoking 1,132 cigarettes. I have saved 3 Days, 22 hours and 20 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 28/04/2008 00:00

LVT25
May 26th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Thanks guys. With me it's pretty much totally a mental issue. I smoked when I drank forever, and the need to do both at the same time now is still very strong. That's the main reason I don't drink much, it's just not as enjoyable. Sounds so stupid! How can smoking those filthy things be enjoyable?
I could have planned better, but I was lazy basically. If I would have drank something besides beer would have probably helped alot.
Oh, well, I'm not going to dwell on it. The next test will be 4th of July when we have our family reunion. My brother smokes like a chimney. I'll definately have a plan for that week.

Accountable for Me
May 26th, 2008, 09:20 AM
LVT, when I drank, I smoked like a chimney. I chained smoked actually. I KNOW that if I were to have a drink, I would be smoking again. Beer and wine - I smoked double what I usually do. It seemed to go hand in hand.

So, I think your minimal smoking that day is nothing to sweat over at all!

A lot of it is mental. I completely agree. I also don't think you will resume smoking regularly as I believe your mindset says otherwise.

livingfree
June 4th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I'm late getting to this party Mimi - sorry! Don't worry about the slip. You have a desire like non I've seen!! That ciggie went up in smoke and you won't be tempted with those big mitties on!! Love to you
Liv:l

barebones
June 10th, 2008, 09:02 AM
hi everyone how is u all? sry i havent been around ive been ill and also been bz.

i have now cut down the level in my patches im the next step which is 14mg patch, ive been fine, i think i had fleeting thought about missing a cig but really ive been doing not to bad. here is my stats.

I have been quit for 1 Month, 1 Week, 5 Days, 15 hours, 2 minutes and 37 seconds (43 days). I have saved ?431.90 by not smoking 1,745 cigarettes. I have saved 6 Days, 1 hour and 25 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 28/04/2008 00:00

LVT25
June 10th, 2008, 08:17 PM
There you are barebones!! I was a little worried about you--but no fears--looks like you're doing great! I have been super busy too, gone for a week, now trying to catch up around hone among other commitments! I had a pretty big f-up 10 days ago--drunk and smoked--but decided to give up the sauce for a long while--just can't control myself in social settings yet!
Later!

Accountable for Me
June 10th, 2008, 09:38 PM
I am still here too! Been super busy being back at work, with kids; you know, life in general.

Still not smoking or drinking. I don't have exact numbers, (probably a good thing!) I am guessing around 2ish months now or getting darn close to it! My lungs are horrid though. Almost like bronchitis - but we have had so much rain and cold temps here, that I am thinking it is from that. Loosening up the crud. You should see the shit I hack up in the shower in the morning! (It's God awful - I sound like an old man who has been smoking for years! :H )

So happy we all are plugging along! Keep up the good work guys!

boozehag
June 11th, 2008, 03:35 AM
Yup me too still trucking along nicely. Coming up to 2.5 months NF now and similar for AL - have had the odd drink here and there but nothing to write home about. Without the double whammy of the nicotine I have very little desire fo alcohol - what a bonus!
Long may it last. Thank the lawd for champix - only wish I had found it sooner - like about 10 years ago!
BH (no more)

LVT25
June 11th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Boozehag--you are my hero!:) Amongst others of course! Congrats on all your accomplishments so far. I thought I was doing so great, that it seemed to be so easy for me. But just because I don't drink every day, does not mean I do not have a problem!!

:thanks:

livingfree
June 12th, 2008, 11:13 PM
I just want to shout out a WAY TO GO on all the cig busting going on!! Congrats to everyone! It smells so good doesn't it!!!

boozehag
June 13th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Ah thanks living free.
Yes it does smell great. I got into a lift the other day with someone who had obviously just been outside the building having a ciggy and I had to hold my breath until he got out. It was disgusting. I dont think we smokers quite realise how bad it actually smells to non smokers. We just smell the smoke on our hands etc and even if you eat a mint or chew gum I dont think we get the whole body odour thing that non smokers get from us. Uuughh
BH

LVT25
June 13th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Gotta agree with that one! Stinky things! I get an instant headache if I'm in the same building when someone is smoking! No wonder people didn't want to be around me!!:H

Nebraska is going smoke free next year--before I would have been pissed, now I'm glad!

jbphan
June 13th, 2008, 09:49 AM
I would love to quit smoking. I wonder if it is a good idea to do it at the same time as the AF?? Today is only my day 2 AF. But I haven't had a cigarette for 2 days either. Maybe I can do both. Just dont want to be a total B*&CH while trying to quit. If I can I will do it this way, but if not maybe I will try the Chantix. Sounds like it works pretty well. I dont smoke during the day (usually) but as one of the other posters said, I make up for it the minute I am not at work! especially if I start drinking, and lets face it, I was always drinking after work! Cigarette smoke, the smell, the after taste, waking up in the morning still smelling and tasting cigarettes just disgusts me. Seriously, but I still do it (or did). I just turned 40 and for me a lot of this is motivated by my mortality. I want to stay here on this planet with my children and their children as long as I can. I dont want to think I might only have 40 more years, or less....I want to be here loving my family as long as I can. I have two grandsons that I want to see grow up.

Ok, this is too long, sorry.

LVT25
June 13th, 2008, 11:04 AM
jb---

For me the smokes and the beer were totally linked. If you have time, go to the top of this thread and read our stories and maybe some helpful advice!

I still have trouble giving in to the cigs when i drink. So I'm abstaining rather than moderating in June.

:welcome:

barebones
June 15th, 2008, 12:11 PM
hi ya al again, sry for not being around alot just now, just been bz yet again.

here is my stats :)

I have been quit for 1 Month, 2 Weeks, 3 Days, 18 hours, 10 minutes and 6 seconds (48 days). I have saved ?482.69 by not smoking 1,950 cigarettes. I have saved 6 Days, 18 hours and 30 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 28/04/2008 00:00

116 days AF i think hmm i have to recount i think.

hope everyone is fine, and good going everyone. keep safe, will come and drop in again soon.

Niblet
June 17th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Just wanted to stop by and say that you guys ROCK !!!!!!!! Woooo !!!! Hoooooo !!!!!!!!!!
As a teenager I smoked for five years,.. not much I know, but it was sooooo hard to quit !!! Give yourselves a big old pat on the back !!!! xxx

livingfree
June 17th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Barebones - that is awesome. I quit Nov. 28, 2007 and would love to run the stats! Where do you get your calculations? Did you figure them yourself or is there a website? Thanks and way to go on quitting the smokes! It was the hurdle I needed to jump before I quit drinking and it works! No smokes, No drinks ... you HAVE to form new things to do - like get on MWO and post!!!!!!!!!!!:H

LVT25
June 18th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Hi Liv, just a note really quick--go to quitnet.com. I'm not sure if you can put in past dates or not, but that is where I get my stats. Even though I'm not sure what they are right now!!

barebones
June 21st, 2008, 03:40 PM
hi everyone! hope everyone is doing good, hi living, here is website where i got my stats from. Quit Meter - Quit Keeper 1.08 - Tracking your statistics as you quit smoking - Home (http://www.dedicateddesigns.com/qk/)

where i am now with the smoking, i am on the 7mg patch and it will be my last week coming on monday, i still have the inhaler handy for just incase, but i havent used it for while now. so i think im ready after next week to come off patches and go it alone, i feel positive about this, so lets see.

so here is my stats update
I have been quit for 1 Month, 3 Weeks, 2 Days, 21 hours, 38 minutes and 30 seconds (54 days). I have saved ?543.52 by not smoking 2,196 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Week and 15 hours of my life. My Quit Date: 28/04/2008 00:00

also coming up end of next week or few days after is that i will be 4 months AF going onto 5 months, :)

anyway ladies, will catch up with u all again soon, keep up the good work and take it easy. xx

LVT25
June 22nd, 2008, 01:48 PM
Hi guys!!

Well, it's been 3 weeks since I've had a drink or a cigarette. Do you think there's a connection??:H

I never crave one without craving the other!! I hope that urege goes away. When I get time, I'm going to do my hypnosis tapes again!!

I'm still saying I quit smoking March 1st, even though I've had a couple of slips!!

Hope you all are well and enjoying life! :h

biscuit
June 23rd, 2008, 04:30 PM
Hey everyone, I would like to join in today is my quit day. I have attempted to quit for the last
20 years, never the right time, or I will quit after (whatever ). Hypnosis, herbs, gum, patch, lozenge,
chantix. Chantix actually helped me quit for 3 months despite all the side effects that I experienced.
This time I am using Allen Carr's The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.

This time feels different. I am not longing or thinking I will be missing anything this time.
In the past with both Al and CIGS I was just not ready to part as I would think I could not
have fun if I didn't smoke or drink. I am ready and the book makes it easier. However
everyone keep in mind that is day 1 NF talking. Day 12 AF

Biscuit

LVT25
June 23rd, 2008, 10:22 PM
Hi biscuit--thanks for joining us! I too used Allen Carr's book among others. If you start at the top of this thread there are some good posts. If you ever need encouragement you can always pm me.

boozehag
June 24th, 2008, 03:11 AM
hello biscuit and welcome
yup LVT I agree the two vices are so connected. I realise now how lucky I was that I had the dual addictions totally entwined never smoked without a drink and never drank without a smoke - in my case at least it seems if one addiction goes so does the other. Those cravings I used to get which I thought were for alcohol I think now were for nicotine but alcohol was my nicotene delivery system. I have had a drinks or two on various occasion in the past month but without the nicotine fuelling the whole shebag there is no urge to binge drink. I can never see myself smoking again and if things keep going the way they are that means I will not go crazy on the drink either. How freak out lucky is that.
Hope you find its the same for you biscuit that without the nicotine there isnt as much desire for the AL.
BH (no more)

FallenAngel
June 24th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I pledged N.O.P.E. (Not One Puff Ever) July 24, 2006

Hello everyone!
Just wanted to congratulate everyone that has decided to quit smoking...this is one of the best decisions you could make for your health! :goodjob:
Today I am celebrating 23 months smoke-free, so thankful that I chose to quit & stay quit. The first year was truly a life-transforming experience & gave me the strength & determination to attempt new goals. Which I did...2 days after my 1 year quit smoking milestone, I quit drinking, and now I'm quickly approaching the 1 year mark on that too.
Just remember, everything we do, whether good or bad... is a building block to what we will add on to next. Choose well.
Have a great smoke-free day! :)

LVT25
June 24th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Thanks, guys for the encouraging words and inspiration!!

biscuit
June 24th, 2008, 12:51 PM
lvt25 and boozehag, thanks for the welcome. I intend to go and read every post in this thread.
Wow Fallen Angel that is really impressive. Did you find one harder to quit than the other?

Biscuit
13 days AF
2 Days NF

Accountable for Me
June 24th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Hi all! I am still AF/SF. Lost count of days..... been about 2.5 months now. I am starting to think the whole quitting smoking thing with the AF is what is making me so tired lately. It is just a hunch. I never felt this lethargic the last good stint with just AF. Funny though how it only hit me two weeks ago. Who knows. My blood work is all good.

Anyway, it looks like everyone is doing GRRRRRREAT!!!

Keep it up! Our health and wellbeing is so worth it!!!

Welcome biscuit! Nice to have you here!

LVT25
June 24th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I STILL get pretty tired. Seems like after I eat my lunch I get veeeerrryyy Sleeeepy! I have laid down for a couple of naps and woke up 2 hours later! I guess i feel like my body must need it, so why fight it? Hubby must never find out, however!!!

Accountable for Me
June 24th, 2008, 02:30 PM
LVT25;352329 wrote: I STILL get pretty tired. Seems like after I eat my lunch I get veeeerrryyy Sleeeepy! I have laid down for a couple of naps and woke up 2 hours later! I guess i feel like my body must need it, so why fight it? Hubby must never find out, however!!!
:) I am thinking the ol' bod is trying to heal from two horrible addictions. I need to be more patient with myself. I HATE feeling tired and lazy though. IT is so unlike me. But I guess it is par for the course. Glad to know I am not alone.

barebones
June 25th, 2008, 12:28 AM
hi ya ladies and biscuit, i hope u are all well and well done at sticking at it.

here is my stats so far.

126 DAYS AF

I have been quit for 1 Month, 3 Weeks, 6 Days, 6 hours, 27 minutes and 33 seconds (58 days). I have saved ?576.86 by not smoking 2,330 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Week, 1 Day, 2 hours and 10 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 28/04/2008 00:00

good luck to everyone, see u soon xx

biscuit
June 25th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Hey barebones those are some great stats you are sporting. LOL I am 2 weeks AF tomorrow (June 25)
and 3 days tomorrow NF. I had just leveled out my sleeping with melatonin and some sleepy
time tea and now without Nicotine it seems I am back to no sleep, sporadic sleep, the other thing
is I actually felt jittery tonight. hmmm I have never tried to quit without some sort of aid so
everything is new as far as ciggies. Talk to u later!

Biscuit

biscuit
June 27th, 2008, 07:26 PM
quit date of 6/22 for no smoking and AF since 6/11. I am doing good and still lurking and
reading.

Biscuit

LVT25
June 28th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Hi guys, hang in there biscuit, you're doing great! I'm coming up on 4 months since my quit date and 30 days since my last F-Up. Got invited to the bar last night, but luckily hubby didn't want to go. I just don't feel like I'm up to that challenge yet--the bar was my favorite place to smoke and of course drink. Only one bar in town that allows smoking now, so that helps at least. Just need a little more time I think (hope).

biscuit
June 29th, 2008, 11:16 PM
LVT25, I am hanging in, AF seems to be way easier than NF for me anyway. I think it is because I have smoked way longer than I drank. However I have made it to day 18 AF
and day 7 NF. Does the crave for cigs go away eventually?

Biscuit

FallenAngel
June 29th, 2008, 11:22 PM
biscuit;355232 wrote: Does the crave for cigs go away eventually?
You bet it does! And.... you also will get to the point where you can't remember what it really felt like to smoke, and the thought of smoking feels so unnatural.
It does take time to be comfortable being a nonsmoker... but believe me, it will happen! :)

barebones
June 30th, 2008, 01:01 AM
hi ya all!

well done biscuit, keep it up, the cravings will get less and less and not so strong, i guess it depends on how u are doing it, cold turkey? or with aids? also keep reminding urself why u are doing it and the benefits and keep treating urself.

i am 131 days AF and i had bad day sat with cravings for alcohol, i got through it though.

I have been quit for 2 Months, 2 Days, 7 hours and 46 seconds (63 days). I have saved ?626.58 by not smoking 2,531 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Week, 1 Day, 18 hours and 55 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 28/04/2008 00:00

cya all soon, keep going everyone.

biscuit
June 30th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Thanks, Fallen and Barebones for the encouraging words. I am marching on and everytime I want
or have a thought of smoking I say out loud " I pity the fool that smokes" kinda in my best
Mr T. A-Team fashion. LOL Went to the casino over the weekend and I got to say it alot. The funny
thing is smelling the smoke was not appealing or repulsing so maybe I have turned a corner.
Thanks for listening.

Biscuit

LVT25
July 2nd, 2008, 09:01 AM
Hi guys,

Just wanted to check in with everyone! Hope you are still all NF! I just hit the 4 month mark and i can't believe it! The 30 days AF REALLY helped I think. I was around a couple of my smoking friends this week end at the lake--and I didn't even think of asking for one. Of course I wasn't drinking either. Both of them are trying to quit using Chantix, and have cut down they say. It will be harder for them as they are full-time smokers--I told them about my friends here that have had great success with the Chantix.

I just hope and pray that I am truly done with the foul ciggies! I think I need to read Allen Carrs book again to keep me motivated and to ingrain into my brain that I AM A NON-SMOKER!

I'm going to my family reunion this weekend. It's about the only time we all get together anymore since our parents passed away. My brother smokes, unless he quit. When I first quit in February, by SIL laughed because I had only quit a couple of days at that time. We'll see if she laughs now. Than should be enough to keep me strong!!:)

Have a great week/weekend all! Happy 4th!:h

boozehag
July 7th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Hi LVT well done you that is great.
Unfortunatley I did not have a good weekend with moderating and not smoking - I accidentally went a bit over the top saturday night - stupid stupid stupid.... I have got no tolerance for alcohol now compared with before joining MWO and of course once I had one or two drinks I was desperate for a smoke. I am ashamed to say I was so desperate that I bummed one from a stranger and went outside to secretly smoke it. I had just got it lit and in my mouth when my 16 yr old daughter came out and caught me - she was obviously watching me. She nearly freaked out when she saw me with the offending ciggie and she frightened the living daylights out of me. Needless to say I dropped the ciggie in shock so dont think I even managed a drag. She has given me such a hard time about it. She says that I cannot say I havent smoked for 3 months now that I have to go back to zero- yeah right..... Anyway next day I apologised and thanked her for saving me (from myself) and she has agreed to forgive me! So am back on the straight and narrow and clearly still need to be very careful with the AL. Think I wil go back to AF its safer.
BH

barebones
July 7th, 2008, 04:03 PM
hi ya ladies, good going lvt on the 4 months. boozebag dont bash urself to much, im sure we all would of done the same, well i know i would if i was drinking, thats why i stay AF.

here is my stats

im on my 5th month AF

I have been quit for 2 Months, 1 Week, 2 Days, 22 hours, 3 minutes and 5 seconds (70 days). I have saved ?702.09 by not smoking 2,836 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Week, 2 Days, 20 hours and 20 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 28/04/2008 00:00

keep up the good work, speak to you all soon.

Accountable for Me
July 7th, 2008, 04:30 PM
boozehag - yeah, don't bash yourself. You are doing soooo very well!! Lighting a ciggie isn't a slip or a failure. Why was your daughter so upset? I can understand her caring, but it seems like she was REALLY upset.

I slipped up last weekend. I ended up drinking.... and I even bummed a smoke off of my neighbour. Oh well such is life. I didn't beat myself up about it because I am trying to focus on the positives. Up to that point, I was doing maaaaaaaaarvelously! (and YOU were/are too!!!)

barebones and LVT way to go!!!

LVT25
July 7th, 2008, 06:37 PM
OUCH!! I am amazed how much easier it is to stay off the ciggies as long as I stay off the beer. I'm pretty sure I would be right there with you BH! I have come real close to bumming off of strangers before. It is not any reason to feel bad, but I know just how you feel! My kids would probably be the same way. They hardly noticed when I quit smoking, but boy they sure notice if I do!:)

To me the nicodemon and the AL monster hang together and keep saying--just one, that won't hurt!! :H

You guys are doing great--keep it up!!:h

biscuit
July 9th, 2008, 01:53 PM
fell off one wagon, still on the other

Ok still not smoking but last week, decided to drink and have drank everyday since last
Wednesday. Have lots of excuses but none are valid. Will start AF tomorrow again since
I am drinking today.

Biscuit:bigcry:

Accountable for Me
July 9th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Ahh.... biscuit! Try again, that is all. My hat goes off to you for NOT smoking while drinking.

My word, back in my drinking days, I chained smoked!

LookingToGrow
July 9th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Biscuit: What will you do tomorrow to go AF? I am desperate myself since May but don't want to go medical detox again. Any suggestions?

biscuit
July 10th, 2008, 06:28 PM
ok I have drank all day today.. surgeon refused my case, my sisters cancer has come back, lots of
excuses, but i choose to hide in AL.

LVT25
July 28th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Looked like some might be interested in quitting smoking, so bumping this up.

Will be 5 months for me on Friday!!:)

LVT25
August 1st, 2008, 08:40 AM
Hi there!!

I will just say, if you do give up the ciggies--you won't regret it! As time goes on, it gets easier. I am really looking forward to the day that I don't even think about it or miss it.
something I read on the Quitnet site I thought interesting:

In a technical sense you never overcome nicotine addiction--each cell in your body is permanently altered by nicotine. Brain cells don't replace themselves the way body cells do. This is why it's really easy to slip back into smoking, even after "only one" ciggie--all those brain cells "remember" the nicotine and start craving all over again. Eventually, most people stop thinking obsessively about cigarettes after the first few months and begin to see themselves as NON-smokers, so the likelihood that they will go back to smoking decreases significantly.

startingover
August 2nd, 2008, 06:21 AM
I stopped smoking about 15 years (maybe more) ago. With NRT chewing gum. Still had the "odd" one from time to time (rarely) Then about 2 years ago when my mum got cancer (how stupid is that???) i started again. Not heavily but enough to make me feel not that well and still very addicted to the NRT gum. I have not had a ciggie for 4 weeks now along with no al but I am still chewing the gum so obviously still addicted to nicotine. Feel SO much better though and don't really think about smoking but still love my gum!!! Any ideas anybody?? I once rung up a smoking helpline who didn't see the problem with chewing the gum for years and years as long as I wasn't smoking :)
I need a good reason now to give up the gum!!!

LVT25
August 2nd, 2008, 08:26 AM
Hi Starting--

Your post made me think of my mom. She was one of those that started smoking in the early 50's because there was nothing wrong with it. In her early 60's the Dr said she should quit because she had high cholesterol, high bp..........she always resented having to give them up, and chewed the gum like crazy. One time I simply asked her how long she was supposed to chew the gum, and nearly got my head bitten off!!
I guess if its working, it's a helluva lot better than smoking. Allen Carr's book helped me a lot, and his theory is absolutely no nicotine replacement--obviously because the addiction is to nicotine. So this time I didn't use the gum--it didn't really help me anyway. My addiction is probably more psychological than physical.
You might read his book "Stop smoking the Easy Way" (or something like that). I also used some self hypnosis and subliminal cd's, along with yoga and relied pretty heavily on a prayer group.
Hang in there!! :h

startingover
August 2nd, 2008, 02:13 PM
Thanks LV. Yep, I tried the Allen Carr book. I think that like any addiction, there comes a point when you say to yourself enough is enough. I said that with alcohol plus a number of other drugs but the day hasn't come yet when i say it about my gum :)
You're right it is better than smoking but still an addiction and nasty habit all the same. One day I will kick it though!!!

Accountable for Me
August 2nd, 2008, 07:57 PM
startingover;373909 wrote: I stopped smoking about 15 years (maybe more) ago. With NRT chewing gum. Still had the "odd" one from time to time (rarely) Then about 2 years ago when my mum got cancer (how stupid is that???) i started again. Not heavily but enough to make me feel not that well and still very addicted to the NRT gum. I have not had a ciggie for 4 weeks now along with no al but I am still chewing the gum so obviously still addicted to nicotine. Feel SO much better though and don't really think about smoking but still love my gum!!! Any ideas anybody?? I once rung up a smoking helpline who didn't see the problem with chewing the gum for years and years as long as I wasn't smoking :)
I need a good reason now to give up the gum!!!
Hi ya, startingover!! Welcome to this awesome thread, not to mention the website!

I am with you on the gum. It a has been a few months since I have quit. However, I think I am more addicted to the gum than I was ever to ciggies!! If I run out of the gum, I absolutely panic.

4 weeks isn't very long for being on the gum, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Like you said, it is better than smoking, by far!

Even after this amount of time for me, I wouldn't give up the gum quite yet. I think there would be a murder in the neighbourhood if I did. ;)

Good for you on the 4 weeks!

biscuit
August 14th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Hello everyone, I am day 52 no smokes, still struggling with AL but drinking way less.
I agree about Allen Carrs book I read that and it really was easy as stated in the title.
I am now reading his
book the easy way to stop drinking and hope it helps as much. Biscuit

startingover
August 15th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Hi AFM!
Wow a fellow chewer :H Never met one of those before. Ah if only it was 4 weeks that I had been chewing. It is probably about 15 years!!! This lapse with my fags I was doing both! Must say I prefer the gum though. I too get panicky when running low. Addictive personality I think. Like you said tho. better than smoking :H
Nearly 6 weeks with no fags and just over 5 weeks with no booze and feeling great !!!
Biscuit 52 days is GREAT! Good going!!! I read the allen carr book too its really good.

Little UK Star
August 21st, 2008, 06:14 AM
I quit about a month ago, the last time I smoked was probably a few nights ago, so still not given up all together. I find social smoking the hardest thing to give up :confused:

LVT25
August 28th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Hi little uk star! I was a social smoker deluxe. When I was younger I could just smoke a few at parties and then not smoke again until the next party. As time went on I was drinking more just so I could smoke. I never smoked unless I drank. So I had to give up the al along with the smokes!:)

I've been wondering how everyone is doing with their smoking addictions. Haven't seen some of my quit-smoking pals around for awhile. If you're out there, do me a favor and let me know how you're doing.

Me? I quit March 1, 2008, so going on 7 months! I was still smoking some until June 1, since then I've been totally nicotine free!:)

startingover
August 28th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Wow LV that is great!!! I am still like a cow chewing cud with my gum;)
But have not actually smokesd a ciggarette since I gave up AL. So it's good for me.
I am feeling much better but I do think the amount of gum I chew is making me jittery....so I take lots of GABA for that :H
God this addiction thing is mad isn't it? I seem to go through life taking something for the symptoms of LIVING :H
You are doing great though so well done hon

boozehag
August 29th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Hi guys
You probably picked it up from the other threads LVT but I am doing good also - same as you as long as I dont drink I dont want to smoke and if I cant smoke I dont want to drink! When I recently had realisation that I couldnt smoke now even if I wanted to so the binge drinking is also gone out the window the first thought that came into my head was well you have truly fucked yourself now! How weird is that! Who is this person and why is it living in my brain.....
BH (no more)

LVT25
October 15th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Just bumping this up in case it can help Star and others wanting to quit smoking.

wonderworld
October 15th, 2008, 09:49 AM
shit

wonderworld
October 15th, 2008, 09:49 AM
sorry. bad attitude.

kriger
October 15th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Thanks LVT; I'm on Day 3 NF!!!! I had three patches so I'll use the 3rd one today and chew the gum. 2morrow will be gum only. It is really going better than I expected!!! Come and join me guys....get your feet wet in the land without smoke. Krigs

kriger
October 15th, 2008, 10:22 AM
O2M,
I bet we'll pick up more takers as the day wears on. The patches must be working because I feel better than last time I tried to quit! KriggenBotton

wonderworld
October 15th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Im listening. okay and getting inspired.
Just so you know :cool:.

(OMG Kriger - AWESOME)

wonderworld
October 15th, 2008, 10:40 AM
deal. :cool:

(and thanx :upset:)

kriger
October 15th, 2008, 10:44 AM
I am on Day 3 so you know what that means.....30 days here I come!!! We need to pm each other when necessary. I am drinking pots of coffee....I crave coffee now!

kriger
October 15th, 2008, 10:45 AM
O2M and WW,
Don't you just LOVE my little stalking skeleton?!?

wonderworld
October 15th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Oh yes. I've been admiring it Krigs. A beauty!

LVT25
October 15th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Okay, I am here to cheer and inspire!! :yougo:

A. It is not true that you have to gain weight when you quit smoking. I've lost about 10 pounds even though I substituted beer calories for M&M calories!!:H

B. I can't begin to tell you how much better you will smell! Ciggies stink--ever noticed?? your clothes and hair and skin will thank you! :eeew:

C. You won't believe how nice it is to wake up without that camel shit taste in your mouth every morning! :crap:

D. Without all those poisons in you system you will have renewed energy.:dancin:

If this is your first time quitting, I'm not a big fan of cold turkey. Two books I read were The Easy Way to Quit Smoking and How to Quit Smoking even if You don't want to. I also used some hypnosis cd's, subliminals and positive affirmations. I'm not there yet, but I'm doing way better than the other times I tried to quit. (Without any tools, cold turkey, very little support)

I know if you all stick together and help each other through it you can do it!! It is so worth it!!!:h

kriger
October 15th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the list, LVT!
I am finding that the patch is keeping my appetite down; so far I'm not grabbing everything in sight to eat!
I am doing gum too and I just read on a website that I am supposed to chew to break it down then put it in between teeth and gums and just let it sit there. That is hard to do; I want to keep chewing!

kriger
October 15th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Oney, PM me with that book. Is it Marbella's ? I CAN'T gain any weight!!!

kriger
October 15th, 2008, 05:01 PM
O2M, You did send it to me in August; I just found it.

momof3
October 15th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Long Term Quitter

I quit smoking 20 years ago and really never looked back. I was at 1 pack per day and 2 on nights I was going out to clubs and drinking. I quit by going to a 4 week smoking cessation program and by using nicotine gum. The first month was the hardest...didn't see/feel any benefits to quitting. In fact, I felt lousy and gained weight. Then I gradually felt better and started exercising like a mad woman (lost all of the weight I gained too). Now I am one of those obnoxious ex-smokers who cannot stand the smell of cigarette smoke.

kriger
October 15th, 2008, 08:47 PM
MO3,
I quit 18 years ago and never looked back until one day a year and a half ago when I smoked a cigarette (after a big drinking night). I went quickly up to a pack a day until 10/13. I think that will help me in my quit because I only smoked a year and a half out of the last 18 years. I DO remember being smoke free. I feel pretty confident this time, for some reason. Kriger

DeeBee
October 16th, 2008, 03:15 AM
CRAP!!

Right, well here I am... ready to be inspired to say NO to my twaks!

I feel a bit like I first felt when I joined MWO, OMG, I can't give up booze... well I have and this is the next vice to tackle.

I am interested in the meds that people are using, i definetly will NEED something to stop me from climbing the walls.

Thanks for bumping up the thread!

momof3
October 16th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Kriger, Glad to hear that you are back at it! You know how to do it so that's a big plus. I'm curious to know if the new aids that weren't around 18 - 20 years ago are helpful such as the patch.

Also, to all that are quitting. Know that there are not often very immediate postives when you first quit...metabolism can slow down, appetite increases, etc. But, it does get better and you will find that you have so much more energy than you ever had before.

Good Luck to all
M03

wonderworld
October 18th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Can I please just say that I feel totally disgusting right now from smoking. My throat is dry. Me and this room both stink. I feel gross. I just lit one and it tasted worse than garbage.
I wish they would just disappear and never come back.
ww

A Work in Progress
October 18th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Aww, damn, y'all, I know it's hard. I quit the things a long time ago, thank God. WW, let your disgust fuel the quit, OK? You can do it, of COURSE you can. MAKE them disappear. Get them out of your house! And your car, your office, wherever you smoke the things! Hell, it is getting harder and harder to smoke in public, I don't know how y'all are even doing it anyhow, poor pitiful people huddled outside office doors and restaurant doors in the cold...

I'm proud of every one of you who is quitting. You will be SO glad to get them out of your life and your lungs.

wip

boozehag
October 19th, 2008, 03:29 PM
This thread has a very good sucess rate. It seems like quite a few of us who were on here before in the early days of giving up have been sucessful. I did it with champix myself so if anyone wants any info on that I am the resident expert and no they are not paying me commission! Personally I found not smoking made it so much easier not to drink. Now if only I could something about my cross addiction to carrot cake....
BH

kriger
October 19th, 2008, 03:57 PM
BH,
I was just thinking about going to the store to buy carrot cake....funny you should mention that!

kriger
October 19th, 2008, 04:04 PM
I caved on day 6 everyone....just so you know!!!! I am disgusted! Tomorrow is another quit date for me. I am not going to stop trying on this for all the reasons stated previously in the many posts above and in the past. It is truly a gross habit and needs extinguishing ( pun intended)! I can sit and watch my hubby drink beer all night long but when he lights up a cigarette it just about levels me. I can only take so many walks! Oh well, I need to work this out for myself. The patch was working quite well for me so I'll get some more (I only had three last week). Good Luck everyone! Krigs

LVT25
October 19th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Kriger--

I would NEVER have been able to quit if my hubby smoked!! Can you ask him to smoke outside???? Would that help? There have been times when it would have been dangerous for me to be within 100 yards of a cigarette, let alone in my own home!!:H

Hang in there!!

Starlight Impress Forever
October 21st, 2008, 03:10 PM
ALMOST ready :H

wonderworld
October 21st, 2008, 03:57 PM
me too! (:upset:)

boozehag
October 21st, 2008, 10:17 PM
When I stopped smoking I got fake nails - the posh spice french polish type (not a good look on a 46 year old granny but who cares) - it was my reward to myself for not smoking and as practically all my friends smoke the nails came in very useful in the first couple of NF weeks when I practically chewed the shaggin things off when I was in those smoker friends company. So my recommendation is champix and fake nails and that'll sort out all the smokers.
BH

Starlight Impress Forever
October 22nd, 2008, 03:29 PM
Day 1 for me tomorrow.........I am sooooooooo f***ing sick of saying I`ll stop and never doing it. Have made ridiculously brief attempts at quitting before. In all of 26 years........I have not gone a full 24 hrs without a fag........even had a fag on waking after day surgery despite having a temperature and blinding headache.

No more!!!! I am finally sick of it........NO MORE EXCUSES.

I shall be a non-smoker as of tomorrow morning. I`m just going to tell myself that I`m enjoying not smoking. I am not weak........this time........failure is not an option.

Am no longer allowed to smoke A-N-Y-W-H-E-R-E in house, so smoking is too inconvenient now.........am done with it.

Star x

LVT25
October 22nd, 2008, 06:03 PM
YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

LVT25
October 22nd, 2008, 06:03 PM
SMOKING STINKS!!!!

LVT25
October 22nd, 2008, 06:04 PM
WE ARE NON SMOKERS!!!!

DestinyBloom
October 27th, 2008, 09:55 PM
I smoked for years and then one day I just quit and never had the craving again. That was about 4 years ago. Don't know really why or how, but it is totally possible!!! Well, I guess watching my mom in utter pain and despair suffering from COPD due to smoking may have had an impact - ya think! Do what you can to quit. It's an ugly, painful end to life if you keep smoking.

Rachelita
November 1st, 2008, 12:37 PM
I socially smoked in Highschool and college... I smoked more when drinking and for some weird reason I never got hooked. Is that normal? I don't get why I didn't get addicted.

LVT25
January 6th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Bump for LTG and others!

Accountable for Me
January 6th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Yes, this was a great thread. I did well for several weeks in 2008 with the quitting because of the support here. Good idea for bumping this, LVT.

Reading back on my posts I wonder why I started again. That p's me off.

Anyway, round two - ding! ding!

MissDoodleBug
January 9th, 2009, 08:12 AM
I quit a 30 year 3 pack a day chainsmoking habit 1.5 years ago, never have wanted one since. I used Chantix for two weeks then read Allan Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking. And I made sure never to be around smokers, I think that is a major part. It's funny, now I can "taste" cigarette smoke from a block away; it leaves an awful metallic taste in my mouth. I hate to be anywhere near it.

It is just too bad, considering that 90% of the population drinks alcohol, that we can never get away from drinkers!

Stay strong!

Love,

Doodlebug

Seacailin
January 9th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Thanks for bumping this up LVT. I am on Day 5 of the Chantix. I am nauseous and tired but I don't want to stop it. I have to quit smoking, whatever it takes. Thanks for the support everyone. I really need it!!

5thaday
January 9th, 2009, 03:16 PM
I quit cold turkey in November, 2000. I smoked about a pack a day for 6 years, although much more when I drank. I only had one slip earlier this year, but I don't count it because I was very drunk and didn't have a cigarette due to any cravings; just random drunken decision-making. In fact, after about 1 year I noticed that my cigarette cravings completely disappeared. Now the smell of smoke disgusts me.

doubter
January 13th, 2009, 06:48 AM
one month since the fresh quit

Hmmmm. Should count as one of the most painful posts I've ever put up. Or is it relief?

Anyway, just finished one month of not touching a cigarette. Had my last fag on 13th December at 7 p.m. and then quit cold turkey. I had a wonderful quit going for more than one-and-a-half years from Jan '07 and stupidly, moronically, idiotically, imbecilely, brainlessly ( add the other synonyms..) lost the quit when I violated the Law of Addiction and sneaked a puff. I thought I could get away with recreational smoking. Learnt the hard way that I can't. Smoked on and off for a month plus, and more importantly, did it on the sly. Keeping it a secret from all near and dear. From family- from friends. And was feeling guilty all along. Confessing up to the indiscretion, almost feels like catharsis.

For me, smoking was a far, far more serious addiction than drinking. For about 18 years, I averaged a pack a day. And when I first quit smoking, that was a major trigger for other positive changes in my lifestyle.

This present one month quit has not been that difficult, truth to tell. For the last one week, I have fallen sick and have been diagonised with bronchial asthma, so have been too busy tending to myself. And yes, have a sneaking suspicion that the present bout of illness has been caused by smoking.

I am fairly confident I have quit smoking for good now. And I also know that complacency has always been my biggest enemy.

I am putting this up as a marker of my resolve to stay away from both smoking & drinking in this calendar year.

Thanks for the thread LVT.

Thanks Angel for all the support.

:)

Karmayogi

swans
January 13th, 2009, 07:05 AM
I quit on Oct 2 2008, thanks to reading a book by Allen Carr called "The easy way to quit smoking". I know other people who quit using the same method, it was painless, no drugs, no patches, nothing but reading the book. I was a pack a day smoker, sometimes more for over 20 years.

sunshine_gg
January 13th, 2009, 11:41 AM
I'm on day 6 smoke free 25+ cigarettes a day most of my life.... I'm using Chantix, though.

I'm curious.. how can a book make you give it up... with no cravings, etc?

changemylife
January 13th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I'm on day 2 of smoke free. I am physically feeling the withdraw but also generally feel better. I don't feel like I have a lead weight in my ass.

I quit 4 years ago for 6 months and then foolishly went back due to the stress of buying first house.

I know what I need to do. Can't wait to be free of the NIC.

FallenAngel
January 13th, 2009, 07:20 PM
doubter;518545 wrote: I had a wonderful quit going for more than one-and-a-half years from Jan '07 and ...... lost the quit when I violated the Law of Addiction and sneaked a puff. I thought I could get away with recreational smoking. Learnt the hard way that I can't. I know all too well how it feels my friend.... I too lost a 2-3 year quit many years ago thinking those same thoughts. But unlike you, I continued to smoke for 8 long years, until I finally had enough & quit for good this last time. I commend you for getting back on track so soon! :goodjob:
I'm sure the emotional lashings you have been giving yourself (oh yeah...and the ones from me too LOL) are far worse than the physical damage from this slip. You gave your body a year and a half of healing time...your body has benefited from that greatly & you are still reaping those rewards....so don't you be worrying about what damage this slip may have caused, okay?? :l

It seems like one of the things we really have to look out for in our recovery quits (smoking, drinking, etc) is complacency. Our addiction, which will live with us for the rest of our lives, is patient & cunning. Even though you may think you have locked it up in some far recess of your domain, never forget that you & it still dwell under the same roof... and silently it waits...patiently waits for the perfect time to strike. Be vigilant. Be alert for signs of it awakening from its slumber. Check daily for cracks in your armor. Always be on guard & ready with a battle plan...because my friend, this is no game... we are literally fighting for our lives.

swans
January 13th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Hi Sunshine, you have to read the book of course, the author is brilliant. He actually makes you think of all the reasons why you smoke and eventually you come to the realization that the cigs do nothing for you, and you start to not want them. Of course like everything else you have to have some desire to quit.

sunshine_gg;518832 wrote: I'm on day 6 smoke free 25+ cigarettes a day most of my life.... I'm using Chantix, though.

I'm curious.. how can a book make you give it up... with no cravings, etc?

FallenAngel
January 13th, 2009, 07:58 PM
sunshine_gg;518832 wrote:
I'm curious.. how can a book make you give it up... with no cravings, etc?First of all...congratulations on making it through the hardest week of your quit! :goodjob:

I didn't read Carr's book, but I took an online course that is very similar to his method.
To answer your question simply, would be to say "knowledge". Knowledge in learning the facts about our nicotine addiction, knowledge in understanding how the brain & body react to nicotine & all the chemicals in cigarettes, knowledge in knowing exactly what to do when a craving happens.
My last quit was an educated quit, and that has made all the difference. I know my enemy now..I know its tactics & I will not be caught off guard.

Knowledge is Power

You asked about cravings, so let me share an experience I had in about my 3rd month of my quit.
Yardwork was always a trigger for me to smoke... mow the lawn, have a smoke.... rake the lawn, have a smoke. I used cigarettes as my reward to get tasks done. In the fall of my first year I was out raking leaves...suddenly out of the blue I got such an overwhelming craving that it felt like it was totally consuming me. Between the usual trigger that yardwork would bring on & the smell of dried leaves, I was put into a state of craving that I had not had since my first week. Similar triggers had happened to me in previous quits, which sent me running to the corner store for a pack thinking that I would die if I didn't have one... and hence, another attempt to quit always ended in failure. This time I knew what to do, because this time I had the knowledge that I needed to get through it.
I stopped what I was doing, sat down & closed my eyes...I did not resist the crave, but rather, leaned into it... like letting a wave wash over my body. When we don't resist and let it happen, and pay full attention to the real feeling, we come to realize that a craving is not painful at all...it is merely a sensation that washes over the body...and in fact, can be quite an amazing feeling. I sat there for a few minutes with my eyes closed, taking it all in. When I finally opened my eyes, I was calm, the craving was gone...I felt renewed, and was ready to get back to what I had been doing.
Not only did this technique save my quit that day.... it gave me the winning edge to take on whatever this addiction could throw in my direction.

doubter
January 14th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Angel, as you rightly say, complacency is what we have to guard against in our chemical addictions.

I also realise the truth that we have only arrested the addiction. The addiction is hardwired into our brain.

changemylife and sunshine_gg, great that you both have quit smoking too :goodjob:and I wish you both the very best. Just remember, the craves ease out with time. As you both are in the early stages of your nicotine quits, I would like to add that the knowledge I'd gained at the website whyquit.com was very helpful in my smoking quit. Really opened my eyes for all the real reasons for which we smoke, why we should stop, how to quit and how to keep the quit. Do take a peek, you may find the site useful.

(the usual disclaimer : hope I'm not violating forum rules, referring to another website. )

changemylife
January 14th, 2009, 09:46 AM
My Biggest Problem is getting through the Anger. I am Mad. I want to Rip into people for just being there. I hope this passes.

FallenAngel
January 14th, 2009, 10:02 AM
changemylife;519681 wrote: My Biggest Problem is getting through the Anger. I am Mad. I want to Rip into people for just being there. I hope this passes.
Don't worry...this will pass, as do all things. Our brains are actually rewired in some areas by nicotine & it takes time to heal the damage. Many of our emotions were numbed by these chemicals & we are now feeling raw emotions that we haven't felt in years (maybe never).
Just try to realize that this is a stage that you are going through & be gentle on yourself. Soon you will be feeling great & will see how worthwhile this withdrawal process is.... just hang in there for the time being, okay?? :l
Come here & vent...let out a primal scream...do whatever you need to do...just DON'T SMOKE :)

LVT25
January 14th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Just a quick hello to "FallenAngel". You were one of the very first to welcome me here at MWO and very helpful in both my "quits". Great to see you and thank you!!:h

changemylife
January 14th, 2009, 10:50 AM
I wish I could do some physical work/exercise. I'm stuck behind a desk right now.

sunshine_gg
January 14th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Thanks guys for the insights... and doubter.. thank you, I will check it out! And swans, I think I may get the book after all. I'm much more concerned with STAYING quit. I'm assuming it would assist there, too.

Angel, if the first week is truly the hardest, then I don't know why the hell I haven't done this ions ago. Honestly, it wasn't/isn't as bad as I had feared.

Change - thumbs up! You'll get through it. Keep a pillow to beat up on close by :)

changemylife
January 14th, 2009, 06:41 PM
I think I got past the nicotine withdrawal. Not as angry and feel pretty good. We will see tomorrow.

FallenAngel
January 15th, 2009, 09:15 AM
LVT25;519769 wrote: Just a quick hello to "FallenAngel". You were one of the very first to welcome me here at MWO and very helpful in both my "quits". Great to see you and thank you!!:h
Hello LVT25 & a Happy New Year to ya! :)
My thanks go out to YOU for starting this thread & keeping it going...so many of us had that dual addiction of smoking & drinking, nice to have a place where there is support from others that know how these addictions can be so interwoven. The very cool part is, once we learn how to overcome one addiction, we can use many of the same tools & strategies for the other... and the pride & confidence we gained from the first victory gives us added strength to take on more... and settle for nothing less than what we set out to do. :) :) That's what I have found to be the real joy of recovery...it puts positive momentum into all aspects of my life...I see that anything is possible once I set my mind to it, and believe with all my heart that this is what I want. :h

FallenAngel
January 15th, 2009, 09:55 AM
sunshine_gg;519840 wrote: Angel, if the first week is truly the hardest, then I don't know why the hell I haven't done this ions ago. Honestly, it wasn't/isn't as bad as I had feared.
When we quit cold turkey, the first week is the hardest because it takes @ 72 hours to purge the nicotine from our bodies. From there on, it's basically a mental issue of us battling our emotional desire to smoke. For those that use other methods (medication, gum, patches), the quitting process is much different. Everyone must decide what method suits their personality type the best.
What I have witnessed over the past 2 1/2 years is that the people that chose to quit "cold turkey" seem to find their "peace" from smoking much sooner than those that use some form of supplement. When we first quit, we are mentally fired up to do whatever it takes to stop smoking...our willpower is kicked into "high gear"....this is the time to take full advantage of that.
What we have to realize is that willpower is somewhat like adrenaline.... it is a powerful force, but it is not meant to be used for long-term results. When we understand this, we can use it to our advantage and use that fire that we just ignited under our ass to get us through the initial short-term physical withdrawal stage. When willpower (think of it as the part of us that can say "no" to that voice inside our mind that wants instant gratification) begins to level down from it's temporary high point, that's when our established new mindset & habits start to take over...and that is what keeps us quit, not willpower. Nobody can be happy in a constant state of denying themselves of what they think they want...we HAVE to WANT to be quit.... & be happy that we no longer smoke (or drink, overeat, etc). Remember, what we resist...persists.

I have seen many people that took Chantix so exhausted & fearful that they couldn't stay quit at the end of their prescription, that they gave up & went back to smoking. I always felt so sorry for them... they were so worn out from quitting at about the same time that the people that quit cold turkey were starting to find their peace & freedom from their smoking addiction. (I also want to add though, I do know people that have quit on Chantix that never had ill effects & that it helped them tremendously.... and they are still quit after several years).

We are all unique & we must figure out what method will work best for us.

FallenAngel
January 15th, 2009, 10:13 AM
changemylife;520210 wrote: I think I got past the nicotine withdrawal. Not as angry and feel pretty good. We will see tomorrow.Good morning!
How are you feeling today??
You will find as the days go by that you will be having more good moments than bad. And before you know it, one of these days you will realize that you went the entire day without thoughts of smoking... and then as more time passes, it will be hard to remember yourself as a smoker...the physical act of smoking that was so ingrained, will now feel totally foreign to your nature. That's one of those great moments when you get a glimpse of what it feels like to really be quit! :)

changemylife
January 15th, 2009, 02:21 PM
I feel much better FallenAngel. Thank You

The Nic is Definately out of the system now. Now I start ODAT.

I have a new Avatar which equals my new goal of getting six pack Abs.

I havn't had any AL since the new year and I expect to remain AF until smoking is a thing of the past.

Man, I'm gunna be rich without Smokes & Booze.

Beaches
January 15th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Wow change that is quite the six pack!! Very nice goal.

I have been Nicotine Free since November and feel better already. I still chew the gum though.

sunshine_gg
January 15th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Beaches... NF since November and you just now feel betters? :confused:
I was hoping for major dunno.... uplift, something after a couple weeks or so? NO?

changemylife
January 16th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I guess everyone is different. I feel normal right now. I feel clean & detoxed.

changemylife
January 27th, 2009, 12:47 PM
It's been 2 weeks and I am very Depressed and Moody. I feel as if I am stuck being an Angry/Moody/Depressed person. Anyone have any ideas or experiences?

LVT25
January 27th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Well, I'm no expert for sure. Are you taking any supplements? Any kind of detox for the body? I do think these things help. Do you exercise? I took a lot of GABA when I first quit, plus some supplements I got OTC. I'm still pretty moody and irritable, but with me I think it's hormonal. I can tell you it does get easier. At first I missed smoking, but now the thought makes me kinda sick. Hang in there!:h

rubywillow
January 28th, 2009, 06:13 AM
I've cut back drastically on my smoking (down to 3-4 a day) and plan to buy no more when these are gone. I can already feel the change, and because of chronic health problems, quitting is a must! I have always used nicotine as a crutch to help me deal with the problems in my life. Now it has BECOME a major problem, or was, and I look forward to saying 'I'm don't smoke'. I've used Chantix, and I also have been substituting activities and busy work when I otherwise would be smoking. My sister-in-law's mother, a 3-pack-a-day smoker for 40 years, and my brother-in-law, a heavy smoker, drinker, and absolutly the laziest man I've ever known (I still love him, but true's true!) have a matter of weeks to live from cancer. I don't want to inspire anyone that way! Good luck to everyone else!!

DeeBee
January 28th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Rubes, I'm so happy you revived this thread -- I was thinking of it today.
I am on Zyban and my quit date is this Saturday -- eeeeeeek!! I was super excited initally but now I am pooping myself.
My Aunt has terminal cancer and I don't think she has long to live either, which was one of the biggest reasons my Mum quit last year. I figure if she can do it then so can I right?

DeeBee
January 28th, 2009, 07:21 AM
I have heard so much about Allen Carr Oney, I think I must hunt down a copy for myself.

Are you also giving up the twaks this weekend? Yay, I have someone to count the days, or rather hours with.

LVT25
January 28th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Allen Carr's book and program was a great help for me. A program for Nintendo--how cool!
I'm rooting for you guys--it's hard at first--but it gets easier and it is so worth it. My youngest son told me last night that my hair smelled good--not like smoke.

DeeBee
January 28th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Thanks LVT.
I am hoping to get that fresh smell back in my car:-)

sunshine_gg
January 28th, 2009, 02:43 PM
This weekend!??? :goodjob: I'm so rooting for ya, gals!

I'm 3 weeks NF now :)

sunshine_gg
January 28th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Lean away Sista! We're all gonna become healthy goddesses here... and if it kills us, dammit! :H

startingover
January 28th, 2009, 03:08 PM
....and maybe I can give up my gums too....
Good luck guys, I am right behind you

MissDoodleBug
January 29th, 2009, 11:46 AM
If you want to make it easy on yourselves ...

I quit a 3 pack a day 30 year chain smoking habit 1.5 years ago. I quit the day I finished reading Allen Carr's book, The Easy Way to Stop Smoking. I stomped on and threw away the carton and I have never wanted one since . . . In fact I can't stand to be around the smell now.

The physical withdrawal symptoms are minor, it's the mental part you have to deal with. The key, as explained by Allen Carr, is to finally realize that cigarettes provide absolutely no benefits whatsoever; you are not "giving anything up."

Once you realize that all the so called "benefits" of smoking do not exist, it is easy to quit. For example, the only reason cigarettes "relieve stress" is because they reduce the nicotine withdrawal symptoms caused by nicotine addiction. Nicotine exits your body very quickly and you suffer withdrawal (jittery, empty feeling) and want more, naturally, because it is an addictive substance. So, it's smoking that is causing the stress that smoking relieves!

Cut out the cigarettes and you will feel so healthy and alive you won't be having stress! You will also look 15 years younger, lose the puffy face and eyes and pasty skin. No joke, after 2 months smoke-free people will think you had a face lift! Your energy levels will also go through the roof, because you are no longer poisoning your body with a harmful addictive drug.

Every time you get a little twinge or a craving, do not let yourself feel sorry for yourself. Smile and cheer and say loudly, it is so marvelous to be smoke free, thank goodness I have escaped from the nicotine trap!

It is 99% mental. If you are serious about quitting and want to make it easy on yourself, read the book, it costs a lot less than a carton of cigarettes.

Good luck, love and hugs,

Doodlebug

1.5 years Smoke Free
6 weeks Alcohol Free

LookingToGrow
January 29th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Doodlebug, thanks for the encouraging post!

sunshine_gg
January 29th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Hey, I just realized.... I'm into week 4 NF now! Whoohoo! Damn, time flies!

last call
January 29th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Quit smoking

Oh man! I wish I could give up smoking. I try everyday, but it just doesn't happen. I'm going to get some more AF time in B4 I really make a serious commitment to myself. 12 days AF :happy: :elk:

changemylife
January 30th, 2009, 09:43 AM
mary ann;532372 wrote: Oh man! I wish I could give up smoking. I try everyday, but it just doesn't happen. I'm going to get some more AF time in B4 I really make a serious commitment to myself. 12 days AF :happy: :elk:

I agree that it is good to have more AF period before going NF or SF or FF or BF or CF.

(Nicotine Free, Smoke Free, Fag Free, Butt Free, Cigarette Free)

:goodjob:

startingover
January 30th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Oney, you can help me too please...tomorrow is it for me as well.....

sunshine_gg
January 30th, 2009, 03:02 PM
I agree that it is good to have more AF period before going NF or SF or FF or BF or CF.

(Nicotine Free, Smoke Free, Fag Free, Butt Free, Cigarette Free)

WHEW! Glad you clarified that! I had it pegged for Nicotine Free, Sex Free, Food Free, and I couldn't figure out the last one for the life of me! :H That truly would have been depressing!

Oney, let's make a deal! You're my 'sponsor' for next week for AF and I'm your support for NF! Starting, are you in, too?

changemylife
January 31st, 2009, 12:05 PM
Sunshine_gg are you giving away Free Sex And Free Food? I'm be there shortly! http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/160/160292/folders/275368/2269873Emoticon(31).gif

sunshine_gg
January 31st, 2009, 10:06 PM
Hahhaha.. no I thought you were advocating for NO SEX and NO FOOD!
That would truly have me suicidal! LOL

changemylife
February 2nd, 2009, 08:54 AM
Well, I'm halfway through Allan Carr's book and I feel much better. Reading the book after 3 weeks NF has helped me to put things into perspective. I am not depressed anymore. I am not feeling like I am sacrificing. I am goinng back to the way I was before smoking. :)

sunshine_gg
February 2nd, 2009, 11:04 AM
Funny, I was actually wondering if it might still be worth it getting that book.
You say, it is, hm?

changemylife
February 4th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Ya know, he has a book on drinking also, I was thinking of reading that one also. http://www.sexforums.com/images/smilies/popcorn3.gif

CS04
February 4th, 2009, 10:19 PM
I read Allen Carr's book on drinking. It was OK....... (I am not a smoker.)

changemylife
February 4th, 2009, 10:22 PM
CS04;538359 wrote: I read Allen Carr's book on drinking. It was OK....... (I am not a smoker.)

I figured it couldn't hurt! Maybe it will help reinforce my current plan. http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/160/160292/folders/216301/1906985fencing.gif

startingover
February 5th, 2009, 02:49 AM
Allen Carr's books are very good, I have read both....

MissDoodleBug
February 5th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Allen Carr's books saved me, yes they are both that good : )

Love,

Doodlebug

startingover
February 7th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I am on day two of no nicotine...I feel like I have flu and am completely exhausted. Has anyone else ever felt like this? And if so, for how long?
thanks

kriger
February 7th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Hi All, I am on Day 3 of not smoking- using the patch. I bought Allen Carr's book 4 months ago but didn't start reading it until today.....I don't have an opinion about the book yet. I am not having any trouble so far in the quit but I am using the patch.....so far I am feeling pretty damn good. I plan to ween off the patches much more quickly than the 8 weeks suggested....maybe dropping that to 4 weeks. Does anyone have an opinion about that? Krigs

kriger
February 7th, 2009, 12:29 PM
My best to all in this fight against AL and Nic. Let's all train our thinking to "freedom from" instead of "fight against" AL and Nic. The positive approach will always prevail....Krigs

startingover
February 7th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Well, I think it entirely depends on how you are doing krigs...I guess the quicker you get off the nicotine the better, but patches are better than smoking so you need to see how you are coping with the reduced strength patches to give you an idea of how you are feeling...
My stop smoking group said that they now recommend a 3 month programme with the strongest patch for 8 weeks, and then reduce...It really is up to the individual...I guess thats why I have chewed the gum for 18 years. lol