Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ready to quit smoking? or Have you already Quit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's been some interest expressed in a place where us ex-smokers and wanna be ex-smokers can discuss this addiction. Please feel free to hop on board for some motivation, inspiration and whatever else comes up!

I'll start....

I quit smoking (again) on March 1, 2008. I decided this time to prepare and educate myself first. (what a novel idea!) So, I got on my favorite website and started searching for books on the subject of quitting smoking. Holy crap!!!! I settled on :Allen Carr's "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" because, hey, I'll try anything that's EASY! No kidding, I wanted to be able to quit smoking and not spend the rest of my life wishing I could smoke, like so many people I know that have quit. This is a VERY good book. Buy it. The other book I bought was by Barbara Miller called "How to Quit Smoking Even if You don't Want to." I thought--YES, this is for me! It is also a really good book, some good exercises (mental) that do help in preparing to quit. Something else I decided to try was a set of self-hypnosis cd's (very similar to MWO) called Forever Smoke Free! And another cd called Stop Smoking Forever for Women-subliminal self help. I love it!
    You're probably thinking, how in the hell did you have the time and money to do all this? I asked myself that too, but decided it would be money and time well spent if it did the job.
    Did it, you ask? I don't think I know yet is a very honest answer. My smoking I would call more of a very well ingrained habit than an addiction to nicotine. This brings me to why I found the MWO site. Since my smoking was so TOTALLY linked with my drinking, back to Amazon.com I went. MY Way Out?!! Moderate drinking?!??! Hooray!! So, I added the supplements and the MWO cd's into my Quit smoking plan. AND...so far, so good. I had planned my quit, then had a bunch of stress, so postponed it a little, and cheated a little at first. But I am proud to say that I have had only 1 cigarette since March 8th, and that 1 cigarette was over 2 weeks ago!! I have gone from drinking probably 6-8 beers almost every night, to a few beers a couple of times over the past month.
    I'm going to quit rambling, but I am pretty excited about this, I have so much to share! If I could start with just one piece of advice, it would be--don't quit cold turkey, educate yourself on ways to quit. I've heard good things about the new stop smoking drugs also. I've "met" a couple of members here that have inspired me with the NF and AF, so You guys better show up here as well!!!

:welcome: All Wanna Be ex-smokers and Ex smokers!!
    The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

I quit this January. I've been smoke free for 3 1/2 months! I did it using Chantix which I think is a great drug.
    Marcie

Comment

Going on the Chantix next week. I have no problem going all day at work without one but the minute I get home I more than make up for it!!

Comment

I'm the same way. Of course if I drink then I smoke even more.

When you have so many things you want to change about yourself which one do you choose first and how do you keep from getting distracted? Any techniques for managing these things would be much appreciated.
        Suddenly I see
        This is what I want to be
        suddenly I see
        Why the hell it means so much to me.

-KT Tunstall

Comment

Quit smoking 19 years ago. Tried many times. But finally successful with hypnosis (duh, why am I not committed to that now?) and a strong desire to stay smoke free.

Myra

Comment

Anothe ex-smoker here 16 days now on chantix. No cravings no desire whatsoever it worked from day 1 with no bad side effects. Seeing as it worked from day 1 on the initial .5mg per day tablet I havent increased the dose as per the instructions. It has also completely stopped me drinking too. I have come to the conclusion that in my brain the nicotine receptors (which it blocks) and the alcohol receptors are one and the same seeing as I have always done both together and if it blocks one it also blocks the other at the same time. Two of my friends who are heavy smokers are waiting for me to make it 30 days as we have a bet that if I can do 30 days then they will give up too. They are getting very worried now because they didnt think I could do it and now I am on day 16 they know its going to happen. They have been smoking around me and it has not bothered me at all other than the smell making me feel sick.
            BH

Comment

I really want to try the Chantix, but my doctor has failed to call me back, so I may try another route. Has anyone heard of Lobelia? It is an herb and supposed to take away the cravings.
              Goal 1: Today
              Goal 2: Tomorrow

Comment

Yes I would love to join..... I quit in June of '06, after 20 year, 2 plus pack a day habit.... with wellburtiun and stayed quit for a good 10 months then stress and major life hit and I decided to buy "one" pack.....well 1 year later here i am still smoking again! Granted alot less, but back again...and drinking again too! Would love to give up both!

Hugs, Bambi
                "When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable." -- Walt Disney

Comment

Thanks everybody for jumping in!!!

Secondchance & Myra--you are my heros!

Boozehag & memarcie--you could do some commercials for Chantix!!

Those who are new to quitting like me--hang in there with me!!

Those that want to quit--we'll try to help, right guys?

I just had a couple of beers, a friend came over, and not realizing I quit smoking, he lit one up!!!! As I explained it was still very hard to resist when I have a beer, he put it out. But in the past, I would have given in and had one with him. Good news is, only 2 beers and 0 ciggies!

Maybe a good question would be---what makes (made) you want to light up?
                  With me it's talking on the phone with a friend, ( and of course a beer)
                  Working outside when it's nice for a reward (and a beer)
                  Cleaning house for a reward (and a beer) see a pattern developing?
                  Socializing.

The last thing I want to do here, is jeopardize anyone's quit on smoking or AL, so please let me know if this thread brings that to the surface, please, ok????
                  The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

well my quit date is 4/28 and in the next two weeks im cutting down to 30 and then 20 a day, will be more if chamtix helps more.

ive been a heavy smoker for 15 years, well at begining i guess wasnt as much as it is now, i did smoke more when drinking and stressed. i am addicted to smoking aswell have the habit so i will need to change things. which im trying to do in this 2 weeks. i am only 46 AF but im confident that it wont effect my sobriety. so im up and totaly in doing this challenge, i have all ready saved money im saving from cutting down.

so i think lets do this girls! hehe and for the long term no smokers, is i hope they can help us

take care everyone.

Comment

OMG the phone thing when I'm home is a killer. So what I'm trying to do now is when the phone rings and it's someone I think I may be on with for a while I empty out a kitchen drawer or cupboard and rearrange it. I also think that I'm going to take up crocheting again to keep busy in the evening. Boredom(even though there is plenty I could be doing) is a real trigger for me with both aAL and smoking. Great thread btw. Thanks.

Comment

Dolly, that is a great idea to clean a cupboard or drawer while on the phone!!! I have been reading lots, but that is not very productive and can't do that while on the phone. I will admit, I screen my calls, and if it's someone I used to smoke with, I will call them back in the morning when I know I won't feel like a smoke.

Something I noticed this morning also, and this may sound weird to some, but I can actually wear my clothes more than once now between washings--BECAUSE THEY DON'T SMELL LIKE CIGARETTE SMOKE!!!!!

Have a great day everyone!!

:rockon:

Comment

Helpful websites

I saw this advertised on TV just now..looks pretty good:

Become an EX

I used this one when I first quit:

Site map

There are lots of them out there if you google it.

Comment

I know exactly what you mean about the clothes LVT. Last month I went out to a bar with my friends for dinner and I had to wash my coat when I got home because it smelled so smokey!
                            Marcie

Comment

Thank you for starting this thread.. and the great info!! One of the main reasons for me to stop drinking was to be able to stop smoking... Well, not drinking automatically decreases my smoking... but I need to work on the smoking next..

I will check out your resources... also another online tool is quitnet.com.. anyone have xp with this?
                              P.S. You can't love if you don't love yourself... :heart:

As you wander through life, sister/brother, whatever be your goal, keep your eye upon the donut, and not upon the hole.
                              - Sign in the Mayflower Coffee Shop, Chicago

Comment

Working...
                              X