Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's just started or really starting in the New Year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Everybody!

I'm just wondering about starting a thread for relative newbees like me, who are ready to try to give this their best shot now that the holidays are over. I thought it might be good for us to have a place to check in. What do you think? Also, those with more experience might pop on and have words of wisdom to share, as well!

I'm not sure whether I want abstinance or moderation, but I do want to do at least 30 days of sobriety, which I'm hoping will give me a little more clarity to make that decision, meanwhile doing the hypno, supplements and topa religiously. As well as getting started with exercise..... (I've been resistant to that part, even though I know from experience how beneficial it is!: )

I've been dosing up on the topa, and have noticed that my drinking is less compulsive than it was, but I really want to make a concerted effort to change my life and not have alcohol be a primary focus in my life.

So let me know if you think this is a good idea! Also, I'd like having an e-mail buddy or two, although I'm not exactly sure how one goes about doing that; and advice would be appreciated!

New Year's Tidings and Best Wishes!
    Kathi

PS: I'm excited and a little scared too!

Kathy,
    Great idea to start this thread!

I'm on my fifth day without alcohol. Even though I know I cannot drink until I get my health issues resolved(which may be years), it doesn't make the cravings any less. It is hard to adjust to this new lifestyle, on the bright side I feel the best I have in a long time. I've been doing the hypno and supplements. Like you, I haven't gotten into the excercise much yet, but today starts a new year, so what better time.

We can all do this if we put our minds to it and stick together!

Marcie

Comment

Hi hope everyone is doing ok.

Marcie, I think you have a great idea about us all checking in.
      Jan 1st is my 12th day sober. I am working on the rest one day at a time.

I'm not on any meds or using the program, my thoughts on that are still not settled. But if I can do 12 days(although very hard) I believe I can continue and go even further. But I know my strength comes from you and the rest of the people posting

Brandy

Comment

YoungatHeart;

I think it is a great idea for us all to check in and let everyone know how we're doing!

Brandy

Comment

Re: Who;s just started or really starting in the New Year?

Hi everyone,
          I've wondered about this stuff for some time now. When I started those first days seemed hard and I did find great encouragement from coming to this site. Even now, I still come. I find strength from hearing about people like Riga who is now over four months sober and then from people like Marcie who struggled to start but is giving it a go. I find that people like Riga give me a future and people like Marcie (no offence Marcie, I was like you also when I started and you and I know you have moved on) remind me of what not to go back to. And even though there are differences in the needs and the questions from each stage, I think that the board isnt that huge that it needs to have different stages.. so if you do start a newbies thread, please dont excuse the not quite so newbies please.

Perhaps when you get to certain stages, your posting habits change, but if the board remains open to all then at least we can all still learn from each other.

I suppose this is ALL ABOUT CHANGING HABITS.. and over my time on the board, I know I"ve changed more habits than just my drinking.. even when I come here is changing.. and what I think about with regards to alcahol is changing. I like the fact that people here are also changing and I hope we can keep sharing, and caring.

Brigid

Comment

Thanks for the offer. I have been thinking about MWO for the past several months and have read the book. Yesterday I made the decision.
            I told my husband about all of this yesterday when we had our New Years Eve discussion about what we are planning for the new year. I hardly had enough breath to get it out (I had never acknowledged a drinking problem). He was as wonderful as I expected "Can I help in anyway?", "Is there anything I can do?" and "Can I still buy wine?" (his hobby). I assured him he can.
            I cried a few tears and to assure him I said "These are not because I think I've made a wrong decision but..." "but because you told me and now you are commited" he said. Exactly.
            So this week my goal is to get all my resources organized--topa, suppliments etc. I plan to start mid month since we have both our birthdays and our anniversary in the next 2 weeks (not an auspicious time to start).
            I think it will be helpful to have partners on this journey.
            I too am excited and scared.
            Gardener56

Comment

I also would like to STOP DRINKING

hello i have read your opening letter and I myself is scared also. But I have to start somewhere and hopefully with someone I can trust and talk to when things get really bad for me. I really hope to hear back from you Theresa and Happy New Year and good luck.

Comment

Getting Started

It's so great to hear back from everyone, including an "oldie but goodie". I can certainly understand that posting changes, and people who have been changing for awhile provide a lot of inspiration for the rest of us. But it is nice to have some "newbies" around to share with, which is why I wanted to start this thread. I want to start with sobriety on Tuesday, as I have a nice long workday, and I know from experience that that is a good time for me to get a good start going. I am dreading the first weekend, because I would usually drink during unstructured time. I just was organizing my craft box yesterday (part of my resolution to literally and figuratively "clean house"!) and found a cross stitch of the serenity prayer (a little serendipity perhaps?), so maybe I will start that to try to fill some of the weekend hours (when I would have been drinking) with a new project.

Welcome, Theresa, and keep posting. I'm scared sh---less; alcohol feels like my oldest, best friend, even though it could eventually kill me. The topa and tapes and supplements are definitely helping, but the habit and the feelings are still hard to overcome. I think you have to make the leap of faith and trust that it will be okay, and that is what I want to do this week.

Comment

Getting Started

Brigid, I hope you will "check in" on us and comment periodically, I think you have wisdom to share.

Marcie, I'm so excited that you have several days sober. You were so touch and go there for a while, and so scared! You touched my heart. I'm so glad to see you on track. Brandy, you're amazing to be doing this without the support of the program itself, but it does go to show you how much your own determination can do, as well as the support of others. Got a little piss and vinegar in ya, don't ya, girl? In a few days, I'll be on your side of sobriety! And Gardner, I'm glad you "came out" with your husband. I hope that you get the materials together quickly and can get started. Meanwhile, keep posting and letting us know where you are at. Keep posting too, Theresa!

New Years Hugs!
                  Kathy

Comment

Re: Getting Started

Kathy and Everyone,
                    The first couple days not drinking were extremely hard! I couldn't stop thinking about what I normally would be doing(drinking). I didn't know how to occupy my time. I didn't sleep well and I was nervous and a litle shakey. It got a little better the past two days. I actually was thinking about drinking, but more as in how I couldn't believe I wasn't thinking about it all the time.

I used to do all sorts of home improvement projects around the house. I haven't done much of that for the past year or two. I'm going to start getting back into that. I also want to work on some certifications for my job. I need to get back into the things I used to do before alcohol became such a huge part of my life.

I started writing in a journal on day one to describe my feelings. I can read how that has changed in just a few days. I am going to write down my plans and goals to give myself something to work towards. I've never been much of a goal setter, but this sobriety one is huge. I figure if I can work on this one maybe I can think of what else I want to accomplish.

Maybe that would work for others as well? Just a thought/suggestion.

Marcie

Comment

I think this post is a great idea.
                      I too will be joining y'all for this new year adventure.
                      cpn

Comment

YoungAtHeart:

Thanks it means alot to me! I wouldn't recommend doing it my way. I yell and scream most of the time for silly reasons... The best thing about sobriety is knowing and remembering everything you do and say.

I had to suffer the shakes, crying, depression, not being able to concentrate. The program based on feedback seems to curb alot of what I went through. If I had to make a suggestion I would encourage people to use the program.

I am currently in school and looking for a job. School is good, I caught the alcohol before it destroyed me totally...I'll leave it at that...

Thank you for your encouragement, but there are so many wonderful stories of success that contributed to my struggle and the ability to survive one day at a time..But for you and everyone here A BIG HUG!

Brandy

Comment

getting started

Hi everyone,

I will also be joining you all for this adventure. Nervous and scared but with everyone hopefully we can make 2006 a happier and healthier new year. Look forward to chatting with everyone in the days to come.

Comment

Kathy and everyone,

I'll be joining you too, at one day sober. I have been lurking for a while both to get a good sense of fit and because I have been hesitant to join in. I have a tremendous amount of guilt over not keeping in touch and being a good friend (among a gazillion other things), and I would hate to let you all down by not being there. However, I believe that if I am not drinking 6-12 drinks (every non-hungover day) I will have the wherewithall.

I have ordered the program and have a Dr. appointment next Saturday to discuss drugs.

Marcie, I too made a list of goals for the year and think it is a great idea to have them to look at. I don't think I can attain any of them if I keep drinking though, so this is my priority. Losing weight, for instance. I have often given myself permission to eat anything I want as long as I don't drink, but never vice versa! ps, that never worked...I will also take your advice about keeping a journal of this journey. What a great idea!

Congratulations to all of you, and I am glad to hear from everyone at different levels.

emily

Comment

Emily,
                              I agree that the drinking issue should be the number one goal. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of what I would have or could have accomplished if I hadn't spent so much time drinking. I'm going to list the things I can get done because I am not drinking.

One other thing someone suggested to me in the past was to keep track of how much I drank. I never actually did this, but always meant to. I always under estimate how much I drank. I could say a 12 pack of beer but actually it was 18 beers. Or 2 bottles of wine when it was actually 3. I think that could be a great eyeopener for some people to actually see on paper what they have been drinking. I'm sure we all know how much we drink, but to see it on paper in front of us is a more powerful.

Welcome and good luck!

Marcie

Comment

Working...
                              X