How Things Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Things Change

It's amazing how much life changes when you are first sober. The first 30 days, 90 days, 120 days - after that you stop counting days - then it is months, etc. At the very first, it is struggle - great struggle and confusion. Then it is a feeling of cleanliness followed by peace, almost euphoria. That is in the first few months. And that sense of well being continues month after month into years upon years. That is really what we want to achieve. A lifetime of sobriety.

But along the way, changes do occur. Rapid ones at first, and then more subtle, slower ones later on the journey.

I don't have exact dates, but I know this is April so I know I am three years now sober. I am feeling the changes from the sober life from the drunken life so much more this year. Not bad changes at all. Just very noticable ones.

Like many other alcoholics, I suffer from some psychological disorders, in my case, depression and anxiety. That is one of the reasons I drank and I know that. But when I stopped drinking they did not go away. But I could not just booze them into la la land anymore like I used to. So, I have been working with my shrink to learn to deal with then in other ways,but let's face it, they don't always do it like a bottle. So I have had to learn to live with a lot of pain that I didn't expect to have to feel after going sober. I thought life would be a bed of roses.

I guess that all I am learning now is what the rest of the world - the sober world - has had to learn all along. That is how to deal with issues that are difficult without climbing into that bottle. But you know, it can be done. They do it. Most people do it. Now I am learning I can do it also.

I am still learning how to. It is new to me after so very many years of giving my problems over to the cloud of alcohol. But I can do it.

This is not over, but I have done it and will do it.

My best wishes to all,

Mags
    Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

How Things Change

Mags

This is a really good post. Lots of insight. I agree, that we have to learn what the sober world knows, and that is how to face life on life's terms and not resort to alcohol. Simple but not easy. Guess I was around AA too long as I hear them coming out in my posts.

Your strength is a good thing for me to witness.

Myra

Comment

How Things Change

thank you Mags. you are a real life heroine of mine. XXXX
      nosce te ipsum
      (Know Thyself)

Comment

How Things Change

Great work Mags!
        3 years AF,fantastic achievement...
        Good luck with your ongoing challenges Mags,I'm sure you'll master these soon also
        Love
        Victoria xxooxx

Comment

How Things Change

Great post, Mags....

Congratulations on 3 years...that is fantastic. You are a great asset here...we all admire and love you...:l

Don

Comment

How Things Change

Mags, congratulations on your 3 yrs! I hope I can follow you on your path. Those are some big shoes to fill.

I love your post. Those words are so true and really ring home for me. It was so easy to grab a beer when I got stressed. Only those stresses aren't nearly as bad as I built them up in my mind. Those "stresses" were just everyday life. And I chose to drink that everyday life away for way too many years and no matter what I do, I'll never get that time back. But reclaiming the future is such a motivation!!

Thank you for your post. I really needed that today.

Love, Me
            :l
            Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

How Things Change

Mags,
              first let me congratulate you on your wonderful achievement of being 'THREE YEARS SOBER'. WOW...WOW...WOW.
              Like thankful said.........these are mighty big shoes to fill.
              And last but not least, thank you for sharing your journey with us and for being our beacon in this endeavor.
              Love ya Mags.
              Lori
              *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Comment

How Things Change

Mags.. that was wonderful. Thank you for sharing that with us. I especially like it when you said " So I have had to learn to live with a lot of pain that I didn't expect to have to feel after going sober". That for me is a crucial bit of advise. I think many of us are so used to not having any sort of pain that sitting through it is a new experience. And like you it wasn't pleasant. But, I have learned by very close observation that those periods of pain do indeed pass. So, the more I go through these periods the stronger I get and the more I am confident that, even though I am in the midst of pain, it is not permanent.

Thanks again, Mags. You are truly amazing.

Namste, my friend.

MM
                Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

How Things Change

:thanks: for the post. :new: and life is better without crawling into the bottle.

Comment

How Things Change

Sobriety Works..

Not counting days as much..all is moving on to better and better days. Am gratefull i started this journey last fall, now it is spring and the worst seems to be behind! ull My happy hour now is waking up clear minded early not going out dizzy late and waking the next day at noon..Clean works for me! :dancin: Life is good!

Comment

How Things Change

Mags,

Congrats on 3 years.

Thanks for the post - very timely for me. I've been sober almost 80 days and just yesterday it occurred to me that now I have to deal with the "why" of my drinking. I had thought it really didn't matter and wouldn't resurface. It has. Damn. Now I get to deal rather than avoid. I'm afraid that getting sober was the easy part...staying sober is going to be much tougher than I thought.

Beck
                      Beck

Sometimes you get there in spite of your route, losing track of your life and what it's about, the road seems to know when to straighten right out...Mary Chapin Carpenter

Comment

How Things Change

Beck

Congrats so much on 80 days. That is a huge accomplishment.
                        Yes, I know what you mean about the now asking WHY. Many old demons come back to haunt when we are sober that didn't we were drinking. All I can say is be strong. Not very original, I know. Sometimes they used to buzz around my bedroom at night like phantoms. I know it sounds crazy, but they did. And I was sober. But those first few months of sobriety make you see all those old monsters sometimes. I really saw them. I was psychotic. But it does go away with time.

You'll be fine. You have lots of time under your belt, so you are prepared for whatever happens next. It is different for everyone.

God bless you for your sobriety for this long time. AF is the only way for me. I thank all my fellow travelers who make this so much easier.
                        Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

How Things Change

Mags, it will be four months tomorrow since we had dinner with WW in NYC.......So that means that tomorrow, I will be four months sober! I understand what you are saying about all the changes. But, I can tell you this, I am learning to live a normal life, a life with anxiety, discomfort, sadness etc, but even more, I am feeling freedom, joy, peace etc !! Yep.....I am beginning to truly feel my life and I am greatful for all of it!

Mags, you are an inspiration, three years is amazing! I am so happy for you........I wish we were having dinner again right now!!

Much Love,
                          XXX Kate
                          A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

How Things Change

mags 3 years is something very proud to be. and beck so is 80 days.kate kate i knew you were right there with me with 4 months. yes it is good to feel all those feelings. i'm having feelings. i'm also not this person that is reactivated or escalates problems or creates them. no drama zone. and i'm loving that sane thinking. i do sleep alot and chocolate for now only has become one of my closest friends. well temporary but that's okay. love you all madly
                            :welcome:

Comment

How Things Change

Mags: I haven't been sober very long (single digit days) though I've had a few fairly long AF stints. During those stints, I got a glimmer of what sober living could be. Ups (very nice sober ones) & downs (confusing because I didn't know how to deal). I think that I, as an alcoholic, must face the fact that life isn't always going to move along the path I want it to. I must deal w/everything that I avoided all those years I drank. I know I have non-alcoholic resources at my disposal. I have to do the daily work of NOT DRINKING & start living a normal life. Thank you so much. Mary
                              Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                              October 3, 2012

Comment

Working...
                              X