My Brain Hurts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Brain Hurts!

I was starting to think my brain has gone ta ta's. I was feeling as if my brain was flopping about in a fog of fug.

Anyway, the point of this post is to see if anyone thinks anything strange will happen to me as I have decided, as of yesterday, to stop taking the topamax for a while to see if I can get rid of this headache that has been hanging round since the beginning. I was, quite frankly, getting sick of having a headache every day from morning till nighttime. Also, I have been very tired every afternoon and by evening only existing in body. Now, I'm not knocking the topa but even though folks might say it's the withdrawal from alcohol that's causing these symptoms well, it's been two and a half weeks now and instinct is just telling me it's the topa. So, for an experiment, I didn't take it yesterday, I must admit I felt really worried about not taking it BUT the result was - no headache last night, no headache this morning, my brain feels a lot sharper and I feel as if the fog of fug has gone.

I am going to go a few days without the Topamax, only using the Kudzo, L-Glut, Milk Thistle and Evening Primrose Oil.

I guess all I'm doing is what y'all call "tweaking"! Anyone else "tweaked" to the point of stopping the Topa?

My Brain Hurts!

I've just recently gone from Topa to Campral. I was petrified initially as I was doing so well and didn't want to upset the apple cart. I was getting the headaches, fogginess, etc that you described above but thought I'd rather be dealing with that than drinking! Anyhooo, I had nothing to worry about as the Campral seems to be working for me (early days) and I'm actually starting to feel normal. Clear headed, typing is much easier! No headaches and a lot less tired. So all in all my head's stopped hurting and I'm feeling much better! I'm inclined to agree with you that it is the Topa not the withdrawal (although maybe a combination of the 2?) that was causing your symptoms, at least I'm certain it was causing mine!

I take Evening Primrose, Milkthistle, Vit B, L-Glut and Kudzu so other than the Campral you've tweaked the same as me, more or less. Good Luck, I hope you feel better now your head is clearer and if those cravings get too much at least you know the Topa is there.
    --Michelle x

Comment

My Brain Hurts!

Annie,
      How much topa were you on? I know that the topa is not a prescription you are supposed to just "stop", rather titrate off, but if at 2 1/2 wks, you were only at 50 mg, it's probably ok. I think that warning is only if you are on a higher dose. I'm sure going from 50 mg to 0 must be ok, just making sure you weren't on any higher.
      Anyone else have input on this? Just wanna make sure Annie is ok with this tweak.
      Sorry about your headaches. That stinks.
      Hope you are feeling better!
      Bec

Comment

My Brain Hurts!

I was still on 25mg of topa. I upped it to 50 mg in the 2nd week, as per the plan, but had to reduce it back to 25 mg as I felt a grenade had gone off in my head!

Unfortunately, 2 days of no topa = 1 litre of wine consumed last night :eek

It just goes to show the power it has. Obviously I have no will power and need something strong to stop the need to consume so much wine so I will go back on the topa today. I hate that I drank so much last night. Nothing bad happened but woke up this morning with that familiar feeling of self loathing for drinking so much and feeling like you know what. I had a lot planned for this morning - one of the things I had to do at 8am, I missed. God, I'm mad at myself.

Thanks for your input everyone. This site is a real help to me (understatement!) X

Comment

My Brain Hurts!

Hi Annie,

Some people have to start very slowly with the topa and even have to cut the 25 mg pills in half to begin. Why not try it and start at 12.5 mg. Even if it takes much longer, titrate up at half the recommended speed, i.e., 12.5, 25, 37.5, 50, etc., etc.. Hopefully, this could make it bearable for you.

If not, perhaps campral might help. Good luck, kiddo. Sounds like a b*tch!

All the best!
          Kathy

Comment

My Brain Hurts!

Thanks Kathy that sounds like a workable solution! I had never thought to cut the tabs in half!

I'm tee heeing at me saying nothing bad happened after my night of debauchery! Well, if it wasn't me, it must have been that friend of a friend of mine who phoned up Foxtel at almost midnight and ordered the Adults Only chanel and had a steamy night of steaminess with hubby!!!! :eek :eek :eek Maybe not such a bad outcome!! :hat

My God I wouldn't even tell my best friend all of this!! X

Comment

My Brain Hurts!

Hey Annie!
              Is that why my Dish Network bills are like $30 dollars less these days????:rollin
              I didn't say earlier in this thread, but when I titrated back down quickly, I, too, had a BAD drinking experience which I wish ended in a naughty night. Instead it was a nightmare...
              Anyhow, back on the Topa now 50mg. I did the cut the 25 mg pill in half thing. Started with 25mg for a week, then 37.5 for a week, then 50. Been on that for 2 weeks now, and currently feeling no need to go higher. I'm sure I may eventually, but for example, Thurs nite, I poured myself a glass of wine (just because I thought I "should"), took maybe 3 sips, left the entire rest of the glass in the sink. Dumped it out in the morning.:eek Shocking.
              This is from the chic who would normally finish the bottle then maybe pop the cork on another one...
              The topa is VERY effective on me. I think I'm VERY sensitive to it. GOOD! Sounds like you are the same way.
              Stay in touch, ok?
              Good luck!!
              Becca

Comment

My Brain Hurts!

Thank you Becca. I'm still feeling like a bit of an idiot for last night not to mention feeling really sick. A litre of wine is a lot but not a bucket-full if you know what I mean and yet this is one of the worst hangovers I've had (I suppose we all say that!) but here I am up in the middle of the night, 24 hours later, feeling sick, horrendous indigestion and just feeling yucky both physically and mentally.

I felt really depressed about the whole thing as I don't want to be like this. Anyway, I thought I'd come on to this site and when I read your message it made me realise that this doesn't have to be the end of the world and I can put it down to experience and tomorrow start afresh with the half tabs.

Well, it seems to me there's a thin line between feeling fantastic (ie sticking to the plan) and feeling like an inch tall and s***t (ie drinking again).

Hopefully things will look brighter in the morning! Thanks again I really appreciate and needed that particular support right now.

Comment

My Brain Hurts!

Youre going to be ok. WE all make mistakes, and hopefully they crystallize and validate our intentions.

you can try to get through the early side effects , or switch to another med. Or try to do it on your own,....But it sounds like you dont want to keep on drinking.

I remember having pressure in my head and a real edginess and tense jumpy feeling that i had to be hyper careful not to forget anything on my multi task list,......and it was definately physically and mentally the worst between 50 and 100 mg. then when I got past that, or stayed with a certain dose long enough, my body would adapt, and I felt good again. like at 150 (after several days) and from 175 all the way through 200 I felt the best. (right now I am at 225mg. (I use a pill cutter, and never increase by more than 25 mg) No headaches or fog at all any more. Except maybe an occasional smoky smell in my nose. It was sure hard at first.....But It was really worth waiting it out, at least for me.

Comment

My Brain Hurts!

Annie, I think everyone has a different sensitivity, as others have suggested to Topamax. The first few days were really tough on me at 25mg, but I continued to titrate up at 25 per week. Now at 100 per day, I'm doing pretty darned good, not near as sleepy or foggy as I was 3 weeks ago. In fact, I almost feel normal. Cutting in half sounds like a good idea if your doc goes along with it. Good luck

Comment

My Brain Hurts!

Hey Annie what a great idea with the foxtel! I'll keep that one up my sleeve... I'll tell you a big secret too - last night my husband and I were alone as the kids were at Nannas and I said "Well are we gonna get busy tonight - dont you think we should after two months dry spell?" He said "WHAT are you talking about, we got busy in Saturday night after you came home from next door!!!" I CANNOT REMEMBER ANY OF IT! He was shocked and thinks I might have Alzheimers like my dad but I said I just had a couple too many - but the fact that I remember absolutely NOTHING is scarey...

I know how you feel about the litre though, that would be like a thimble for me on some nights. I bought the L-Glutamine 500mg tonight and hope it is the right one, there were two different types L and just plain Glutamine. Do u know what the difference is?

Like they say, a new wagon comes along every day!

Comment

My Brain Hurts!

I just found this thread and so glad I did. I upped my dose this week and have been dealing with a headache like you cannot believe. I had no idea it was the topa. ANd oddly enough, the exuberance i felt initially from the topa is gone. I initially felt mental clarity, focus, excitement, and less depression. I still feel less depression, but boy oh boy the fuzziness and headache is HUGE. I actually had tinlglyness in my extremities, which my dr. said probably would NOT happen. He downplayed ANY side affects big time. My speech is getting difficult, and my ability to spell is horrible. I am so glad to read that the body does adjust. The bad thing is I have had absolutely no benefit what so ever as far as reduced cravings , so if this does not kick in within the next 6 weeks I guess I am not a candidate for this medicine. I do like the weight loss benefit, but as far as my drinking, nothing. I am on the supps, and doing the CD's. My belief was if I had a beer for instance, I wouldnt want that second one. That hasnt been the case, No way. Still want the second, third foruth , fith and 6th. Soooo hopefully those cravings will stop soon!!!

thanks for the ear
                        syd

Comment

My Brain Hurts!

Hi Folks, Well, after 3 days of taking half a tab (12.5 mg), feeling good again!!! No headaches or fogginess! The only thing that remains of the side effects I was experiencing is a bit of a dry mouth but I have upped my fluids (WATER!!!!) and seem to be going okay. Mind you, this is Wednesday morning - easy peasy - soon be Friday again!!!! As I seem to be Miss Perfectly In Control of This Thing weekdays I will tell you my Virtuous Thought for the Day - Alcohol is a short lived pleasure, long term misery, a time waster and a money waster. There. Let's hope I don't turn into Supa Vamp again on Friday night!!! :eek

Comment

My Brain Hurts!

Jools .... Re L-Glut .... I don't know if there's any difference between L-Glut or just Glut!!! I'm taking Nature's Own L-Glut 500mg if that's any help.

Re Foxtel ...... it seemed a great idea at the time. Especially when I had to get put on to Technical Support as it wasn't connecting straight away!!!!! There I was chatting away, trying to be all mature as if I was ordering a subscription to "Gardening Weekly" and there was this scared sounding guy at the other end of the phone asking if I had a picture on the screen yet!!! I'm glad he didn't ask me what the picture was of! I would have probably told him in detail, with glee! CRINGE!

Re Your Memory loss ..... thanks for sharing! I hope your man wasn't just winding you up!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X