South Beach Diet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Beach Diet?

Several of you in the 'weight loss' threads are doing the South Beach. I haven't read the book but have been reading about the diet online. I think I get the concept - cutting out all carbs for two weeks, then adding in whole grains. Lots of lean protein and veggies.

Is this all I need to know? Do I really need to read the book? If so, I want to wait til the new one comes out in about 10 days. But really... can I just go on cutting out all carbs??
    FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

South Beach Diet?

Hi MOW,
    I'm not an expert or anything, but I'd say you'd be ok just cutting out your carbs for now. I haven't read the book, just looked it up on line like yourself. I've been doing it for 6days now and i feel as though I've lost weight but I'm not weighing myself until Monday so don't know how much yet. Usually I have a lot of carbs, but I'm doing ok and it hasn't been that hard at all. Last night I had steamed salmon with steamed broccoli, asparagus, courgettes, babycorn, leeks and greenbeans with a tiny bit of grated cheese over the top.
    OMG it was gorgeous, God I'm starving now, gonna go and make my salad for lunch.

Hope this helps
    want
    :hiya:
    xx
    AF since April 8th 2008 :kudos::rays:

Snake....... come crawling,
    There's fire in your eyes,
    Bite me, excite me,
    I'll learn to realize.

The poison transmuted,
    Brings eternal flame.
    Open me to heaven,
    To heal me again.

Comment

South Beach Diet?

Honestly I've read the Atkins book, The South Beach book, and the Zone book. Put them all together and it makes sense. I think if you basically for 2 weeks cut out all carbs except veggies then only eat whole grains you'll be fine. Just stay away from the whites(white flour,white rice, potatoes and sugar)

Comment

South Beach Diet?

I think you've got it MOW. I just preordered the new book on Amazon along with a workout DVD that also went with the program and got a great deal.
        Marcie

Comment

South Beach Diet?

I think I'm gonna do that too, Marcie.
          Yeah, Dolly, sounds pretty straightforward. Tho I guess you're supposed to cut out alcohol too, eh? Sounds good to me.

And want- your dinner sounds divine!!

Comment

South Beach Diet?

The part of the book that I think we should all really take to heart and isn't covered under "cut the carbs and then add whole grains" is the idea of how carbs are digested and that as we move back toward a "real" diet you consider how food is digested together - a slice of white bread - bad . . . a slice of whole grain bread - better . . . a slice of whole grain bread with some peanut butter or other protein - best. The idea of using protein to help slow the carb absorption into the blood stream is really interesting to me. the times I've had carbs I've tried to incorporate that idea.

It is an easy diet and easy to adapt into a real life.
            Member since January 2008
            AF since August 25, 2008

Comment

South Beach Diet?

MOW,

Of all the "low carb" diets, South Beach is the sanest and is actually just a common sense diet.

Atkins lets you eat all the fat you want, which is fine as long as you are eating little if any carbs. Your body won't digest the fats, but if you add any carbs, watch out!!

South Beach has you eating smart fats, like olive oil, etc. Monosaturated versus poly.

It also has you eating leaner meats and proteins.

Yes, cut out alcohol and carbs for two weeks, instead eat low fat proteins and veggies in moderation (no carrots, potatoes, corn, peas, carby veges) and then after two weeks, start incorporating up to two servings of high fiber carbs a day. (I think 2 is the limit.)

However, he does recommend potatoes or white bread if you have just exercised vigorously, such as 2 miles of running, treadmill or elliptical, to give back some energy to your body.

I think you can start without the book, but I do recommend reading it when you get a chance.

Think Mediterranean diet kind of...

Best of luck with dieting. Try to make it a long term change rather than thinking of it as a "lose weight" thing.

Oh, and you can cook things your daughter likes, too, on this diet, so you don't deprive her.

Love,
              Cindi
              XXXV
              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

South Beach Diet?

Thanks Cindi!
                Veggies in moderation? then am I really eating almost all protein?

And does the book recommend limiting fats at all? For instance, can I have as much olive oil in my sautes and salads as I want?

Comment

Working...
                X