not even sure I want help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im 37 mom of 3. Have been drinking for last 10 years. I drank all through high school started at 13. I quit at 19 for years only had the occasional drink. Then at 27 I met a group of people that I just went wild with. Drinking until I blacked out or threw up 3-4 times a week. After meeting my boyfriend of 4 years, I slowed down, I only drink at home now and no more throwing up or blacking out, but I do drink about 1/2- 1 bottle of red wine a night, I don't even usually feel drunk, I usually realize the next day that I was a little buzzed, but I don't even get a hange over. The other night I told my boyfriend "I don't feel like I'm gonna die when I drink, I just feel normal" he thinks there's a problem there, and he's a drinker- about a 6 pack a night. All I know is all my life I've felt like there is something physically wrong with me and I only feel normal and healthy when I drink. I only drink at night and I never miss work. I don't know, I'm scared to say I have a problem, I'm not sure I do.

Hi gofigerr,

I'm reading a book called "Under The Influence" by James R. Milam, Ph.D. and Katherine Ketcham. This book has explained to me what alcoholism vs. problem drinking means as no other thing I have researched has.
    Highly recommend it to you. It might help you see just where YOU are at. It sure helped me make some decisions.
    Take Care,
    Helen

Comment

Thank you, I've seen other posts recommending the same book I'm big on reading, I read everything, I'll be picking it up today

thank you

Comment

You have to decide for yourself. What would happen if you didn't drink at all for a couple of nights?

Comment

Every night I have a different reason why, even before my I leave the parking lot at work, there is always an excuse. I'll make a goal of nothing Sunday or Monday and see how it goes. At leat I'll get a chance to see how I feel.

Thanks
          Gina

Comment

I had a long talk with my boyfriend Saturday morning and he told me he's a little grossed out by my drinking. It felt good to have him say it, he drinks, but he said he used to finish his beer long before I would finish my drink, now he's just keeping up, and some nights feels like he's waiting for me to finish my bottle before I get in the "happy place" the drinking used to get me to after 2 drinks. I didn't have one drink last night, I spent the whole night playing cards with him (as he drank) and enjoying a great meal with no wine. My first day with no wine in I can't remember because it has literaly been years. I'm going to give it a month with no drinking and then I'll try only on the weekends or only on his days off. I just feel like I have to do the month first or I won't be able to do the weekends only right now if that makes sense.
            Thanks to all that post here I'll be here every day I know.

Comment

Working...
            X