Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday 21st April

Morning everyone,

I didn't get a chance to post on Saturday I had a really busy day (I had my sons 7th birthday party)

Thanks for all your comments last week about the AF beer both for and against - I decided I would get some on Friday - my in laws came for the full night for a few drinks so I thought it might help. I found that it did help me (I only had one and a bit!) I think its something that I will use in the short term to help me out. I also found that it wasn't so bad not having a drink while others were drinking - they just talked a bit louder than me!

As I mentioned yesterday I drank on Saturday - I didn't plan to but we had some friends coming over after my sons party for the night> I was a bit stressed out after the party - it was hard work! and a few things went wrong - I think I was just tired and went along with it for the sake of habit.

I'm not too cross with myself because I think I am learning all the time - I jumped straight back on the wagon yesterday and this is the start of Day 2 again for me.

Does anybody else have people fighting them to carry on drinking - it's unbelievable! When I mention that I'm trying to stop drinking people are amazed - my friend said on Saturday that I wouldn't have any friends if I didn't drink and she was only half joking! This comment annoyed me but I bit my tongue and thought how sad she was for saying it - she obviously thinks its ok to drink yourself unconscious.

On the plus side though - my husband is the only one who really knows how I feel about drinking and he seems to be thinking about his own drinking habits - he would always drink on a Sunday but he didn't yesterday so I do have one ally!!

Wish you all a good week Janice, Cindi, Wantrealmeaning, aquamarine, lorelei, retteacher, vinophile and all the others who might follow today (I know I haven't said you all but I'm getting there) xxxxxx

Monday 21st April

Morning Seenthelight and all to follow,

Seenthelight, glad you're not too cross with yourself, it really doesn't help and yes you are learning all the time.
    So sorry about your friends attitude, it is sad and shallow. I have lots of friends who drink themselves unconscious, it's the norm for them. The drinking culture is massive here in England isn't it? I think people don't like losing their drinking buddies and it makes them look at their own drinking which they'd rather ignore. The people that matter will stick by you whatever their habits are.
    So pleased you have your husband as an ally, he will be your most important one, that will help you a lot.

I'm getting ready to do the school run, they've just had 2wks off here. Then I've got a busy day ahead of me house cleaning and gardening. I've been on the south beach diet for a week now, when I've dropped the kids off I'm going to weigh myself at the local swimming baths (I haven't got any scales, these ones work out your BMI for you). I can tell I've lost some, can't wait to see how much.

Hope everyone has a lovely day
    I'll check in again later on and see how your all doing

love
    want
    :h
    AF since April 8th 2008 :kudos::rays:

Snake....... come crawling,
    There's fire in your eyes,
    Bite me, excite me,
    I'll learn to realize.

The poison transmuted,
    Brings eternal flame.
    Open me to heaven,
    To heal me again.

Comment

Monday 21st April

Hi everyone

Had a busy busy week-end so did not get near the boards. Day 22 for me so I am approaching the last week of the month. This is when I need to be careful, I have rewarded my self a few times for achieving 30 Days with Al of all things!! Going to keep going this time.

Well done on the diet Want, I was doing really good but then had two confirmations. Did not drink at the parties but the diet went out the window. Oh well, one thing at a time.

Have a great week everyone.

Rustop

Comment

Monday 21st April

Hi Everyone: Seen, our friends (my husband included) are very moderate drinkers. So, now they see me as normally having soda when they drink their one or two wines. It feels good not to be the only heavy drinker in the crowd.

I'm doing well this weekend. We're waiting for hubby's tumor removal until he gets over the sinus infection he had. Yesterday I had a quiet, productive day...cleaning, cooking, etc. I tried not to wear myself out, because that's an excuse for me to "relax" w/a drink. Didn't do that & am glad. Mary
        Wisdom, Courage, Strength
        October 3, 2012

Comment

Monday 21st April

Good morning all,

I'm up late today because I took a muscle relaxant for the muscle I pulled in my back and wow it really knocked me out. I probably won't take any more because the back feels better this morning than it did yesterday. Plannning on doing some stretches throughout the day to see if that will help.

rustop61-I also "rewarded" myself with alcohol after my 30 days. I actually wasn't bad at first but eventually I got to where I think I was drinking too much.

seen - there are going to be times where we slip, I think its awesome that you got right back on the wagon!!

To everyone else - I hope we all have a good day today!

-lorelei
          Suddenly I see
          This is what I want to be
          suddenly I see
          Why the hell it means so much to me.

-KT Tunstall

Comment

Monday 21st April

Good Morning All,

A rainy day here. School run completed. Have a mountain of laundry to do - 4 kids - what was I thinking?

I had a great weekend - tough but in hindsight - great. I am actually learning to deal with problems rather than avoid. Big step for me in staying sober. 2 big fights with my husband over the weekend and a huge trigger. I recognize that he is not angry with me just with the builder (we are having a home built) but he does take it out on me. Really Angry... raised voices. In the past, this would have been a truly ugly scene. (I would have either been drunk when it started or proceeded to drink immediately afterwards.) I diffused both situations by not rising to his anger. And a few hours after yesterday's fight - he actually apologized! I cannot ever recall him doing that before and we've been married almost 18 years.

Seen, I have tried twice to tell best friends about my drinking problem. Problem was that it made them really uncomfortable - they were my drinking buddies and not one of them really knew how much I was drinking. They seemed to think I was only drinking when I was with them! Good for not beating yourself up - just learn from it. Your husband's support is the most important - good for him.

Want, I started drinking heavily while I lived in England - it is so much more acceptable there than it is in the States. Unfortunately, I didn't leave the drinking behind when I left the country.

Rustop, good to know where your pitfalls lie...

Mary, hope your husband gets better soon so that he can have that op.

Lor, hope you are feeling better today.

Hello to all to come,
            Beck
            Beck

Sometimes you get there in spite of your route, losing track of your life and what it's about, the road seems to know when to straighten right out...Mary Chapin Carpenter

Comment

Monday 21st April

Hi all, I really disappointed myself this weekend when we went to NYC. Had four drinks in two days; not happy. So, I'm back to AF, and as I can't yet take any supplements (minor surgery this week), I'm really trying to make this work thru dint of willpower alone. Any tricks for evening AF time would be appreciated. Thanks, and have a good week!

Comment

Monday 21st April

Happy Monday all--Late as usual, I need to start here once in awhile instead of the top of the forum board!

STL--Seems like when I tell friends I'm not drinking, they just look at me like :yeahright:!

If I tell them I had to do it in order to quit smoking, they are a little more understanding, cause it's cool to stop smoking.

Hello to everyone here today!
                The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Monday 21st April

Nellie,

I know its going to be hard but the first thing to do is to not dwell or overanalyze the drinking you did this weekend. Draw yourself a bath this evening and use some really nice bubble bath or bath salts. Don't use the cheap stuff go get you some nice stuff from Victoria's Secret, Yankee Candle or Bath and Body Works. Make sure its a nice relaxing scent for you and float away for a half an hour or so. This usually helps me. Drink lots of water and try and moderate on the caffiene.....sometimes if I drink too much caffiene its a trigger cause I get all jittery and need to "relax".

-lorelei
                  Suddenly I see
                  This is what I want to be
                  suddenly I see
                  Why the hell it means so much to me.

-KT Tunstall

Comment

Monday 21st April

Nellie,

I wish I had a a better response for you. I have done this without the supps/meds. To give you some perspective - my worst hours were from 4-7 - stress release as I have 4 kids. I just get through my (formerly) drinking hours the best way I can - most days that includes herbal tea, a few minutes alone to regroup when those thoughts hit. Sometimes I just put on the ipod and do some mindless chores after dinner. Don't know what your triggers or situation is but best to develop a plan for how you will handle it today. Once you get through the first few days it becomes easier.

Wish I could be of more help, Beck
                    Beck

Sometimes you get there in spite of your route, losing track of your life and what it's about, the road seems to know when to straighten right out...Mary Chapin Carpenter

Comment

Monday 21st April

Hi everyone....late today, the schools in England are back this week but we've got two days inset training before going back with the children on Wednesday.

Don't know why but I'm a little apprehensive....feel as if I've lost a lot of confidence when it comes to work. Maybe its just the thought of a new classroom, new teacher, new year group and new child to work with. I'll see how it goes.

Hope everyone has a good day.

love Janicexxx
                      AF since 9 May 2012
                      Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

Monday 21st April

11 days AF. Last night was difficult as my wife was away for the weekend. I was bbq'ing ribs when she got home and really felt like having a rye and seven. The feeling went away after a few minutes (and reading a little bit here).

Good luck to all.

Comment

Monday 21st April

Hi Everyone. I am amazing myself and continue to feel good. Not letting my guard down though. I'm really trying to lose some weight and get in shape so maybe that is a good distraction.
                          Nellie- Evenings used to be brutal for me. The only advice I can think to give that helped me is to keep busy. Take a really long walk. Or do a small project in the house that you can accomplish in an evening. Plan ahead what you will do so you won't be scrambling when the evening rolls around. Also, come on here. I have found in the past that coming on here and reading and posting has actually stopped an urge to drink for an evening. It does get easier though. Just hang in there.
                          Beck- Sorry to hear you had an argument with your husband, but, isn't is nice that if you do argue you are not drinking so you can be taken seriously. And you don't have to worry if you overreacted or didn't have the right perspective on things.
                          Janice- Good luck with work. I bet once you get in there and get working your apprehension will go away.
                          Got to run, hello to everyone else and everyone to come. Stay Well and Stay Strong! Aquamarine
                          NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF YOUR OWN DETERMINATION
                          AF SINCE 3/16/2016

Comment

Monday 21st April

Good very late morning to all!!

Mohun, Mary, Beck, Janice, Seen, WRM, Rust, Lorelei, Nellie, LVT25 and Aqua. Been some time since I?ve had adequate time for a good post. Kids had a school delay this morning so more craziness. My cold seems to finally be ebbing. I have not gone for a run in more than a week. Today is lovely, so I?m dressed and ready to go. Day 23!! I had a great weekend, 4 soccer games and couple of ball practices. Love to watch my kids play sports?it?s a major inflator of my parental ego.

Nellie, I seem to have the same take on trigger time as a few of the others. My times are 5pm to 8pm. I will load the dishwasher with the ipod on?some dancing included. (mainly to embarrass my teenagers). I drink a lot of tonic water with lime. Ginny used to be my best buddy so this helps a bit. Early on I thought drinking a part of my former vise would take me back to the slippery slope, hasn?t happened. Keeping busy helps but most of all, I try to keep my liver in mind. I feel better and look better on the outside. I know reason being~ I?m healing on the inside.

My circle of friends is basically a bunch of drinkers. We get together a least once a week. The attitude they have is no holds barred drinking. Ironically, 2 are UK natives. I have not mentioned anything about abstaining from AL. However, I have been taking a prescription for 2 months that recommended limiting AL consumption, so that seems to be good enough for them. Also, they have a designated driver now.

Janice, good luck in your new position: I have a child who is autistic; he did not speak until he was 5. We held little hope for him ever speaking but now he will converses in multi word sentences. I give a lot of credit to the professionals we have hired to work with him. There have been a few who have made a world of difference in his development. I am grateful to them and their diligence; it is not an easy job. The improvements are sometimes so small they are hard to notice but they all add up. We are fortunate we had some wonderful guidance early. Without the help who knows what my sons prognosis would be now. His milestones are absolutely brilliant in my eyes.

Mary, hope Hubby is well on the mend!

Mohun, ribs sound fabulous!!

Now that it is now lunch time, I should feed the kidlets that are still home?before they help themselves.

On my way
                            Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

Monday 21st April

hey all!

Happy Monday to you all!

Seen, all my friends are like that too, and family!! I cannot stand it at times, but I have to be selfish and think about myself, my liver, my program........

Nellie, triggers are rough, just about EVERYTHING is one for me, being happy, sad, stressed, relaxed, it being Tuesday 7:00AM, :H:HH*LL anything can be justified in this crazy girl's mind!! good luck, I find keeping busy as others have said works, eat a nice big healthy dinner, treat yourself to a hot bath................yum, that sounds like a great idea!!

Everyone else, you all sound so positive and upbeat,full of good advice, Janice, I hope your day went well, probably over by now as I am posting so late.

love you guys, thanks for always being here!!!!:thanks:

MA:l:h
                              :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

Working...
                              X