Mr. Pip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr. Pip

Anyone reading Mr.Pip by Llyod Jones? Ita a very good read about a little girl living on a tropical island where civil war is lurking .The only person available to teach the children on the island is a white man called Mr.Watts and the only text book he has to teach the kids with is a copy of Dickens' Great Expectations. Its a great read but im on the last 90 pages and I just know that some horror is lurking around the corner ,im almost afraid to finish it! But I will and I recommend it highly.

Mr. Pip

Thanks Limers will check it out the author i have not heard of before
    Thanks captn

Comment

Mr. Pip

Got to the horror bit last night ,went to bed last night for a good read and came upon it a few pages later and my God ,is it grizley!! It shows the true horror of war and the depths that human nature can plummet to. War really is evil in action, it took me a while to get over what I read and I had weird dreams all night .However I think its good to be aware of the horror that goes on in the world.

Comment

Mr. Pip

Great book. It was written by NZ author and came 2nd in the Mann booker prize. First place went to Irish author Anne Enright for "the Gathering" which I also read but it was not half as good as Mr Pip. It is a true classic.
        BH

Comment

Mr. Pip

Limers the horror of bloody war here on Friday we have a public holiday called ANZAC day to remember those Aussies and Kiwis that were led to there deaths fighting Turkish young men by incompetent generals including Churchill. Such a bloody waste of young mens lives so many died on that day and we will remember them> I hate war will we ever learn another way to settle our differences is it naive to think that?
          Captn

Comment

Mr. Pip

Havnt read the gathering and doubt I will,it looks very depressing. Yes Boozehag , its a book that stays with you I believe.

Comment

Mr. Pip

Hi Limers, Boozehag,

In desparate need of a good read can you list some of your all time favorites to give me some ideas. Jay has been a great help he is the best but just wondering what has stayed with you guys I love reading

Thanks
              Captn

Comment

Mr. Pip

The last book I really was mad about was the memory keepers daughter ,it was a great book!

Comment

Mr. Pip

The Gathering is not depressing but I found it very disjointed - I have no idea how it won but its who you know I suppose.
                  Have you read Marian Keys book "Rachel's holiday" (about rehab in Ireland very funny). I know its pretty old by now but I do remember it being hilarious. I actually went to school with her...and she was an alcoholic from the age of 11 as far as I remember.
                  I dont mean she was an alcoholic when I was at school with her!
                  I just read it in some of her short stories.
                  Will try and think of some other good ones.
                  BH

Comment

Mr. Pip

oh!

Comment

Mr. Pip

you went to school with Marion Keys? I read Rachels Holiday ages ago and loved it ,read most of her books ,shes very witty. Ilike to mix a meaty read and then a lightweight read. Balences the head a bit, for me anyway.

Comment

Mr. Pip

Yes we were in the same class in primary school (I think it was St Jude's primary school for really hopeless cases) but that is not my only claim to fame you know. I was also in Simon le bon's bedroom once. Unfortunately his wife was also there. And no it was not a three some. Unfortunately.... I also spoke to Eric Clapton on the phone once. I answered the phone and said hello and he said hello its Eric Clapton here can I speak to Eric (which was also my boss's name) and I said yes Eric please hold and I will put you onto Eric. Thats impressive eh! God I am practically famous.
                        BH

Comment

Mr. Pip

Yes ,b.h. , im very impressed ,are you irish by any chance? Just a wild guess?

Comment

Working...
                          X