Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what about quitting smoking also? HELP!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dear friends,
    recieved the whole program yesterday,
    i am waiting for my topa RX from my doc....but i am wondering, and really need some advice... about stopping smoking cigarettes while stopping drinking wine. I ABSOLUTELY KNOW that smoking cigs is so inherent in my habit with wine in the evenings...they are almost one unit...who else knows this in their bodies????

please, all of you...let me know how this goes with cigs as well...does Topa help curb that craving too?

want to quit, as they go SO hand in hand in my habit life...when I went to Rehab 10 years ago, i quit both,

but now that i really need to stop, i just know that the cigarettes are half the trigger...and DO NOT want to play with this after getting well...

PLEASE EVERYONE...let me know...can this program help that addication too, or are there stop smoking hypno CD's I can order somewhere? that TRULY work???

LOOKING FOR ADVICE FROM YOU ALL...

THANKS!!!

The same guy has CDs for stopping smoking too....but there is a place on the CDs where you can make your own suggestions for improvement. And yet another where you can learn self hypnosis for whatever you want. I agree, smoking is the pits. and it goes hand in hand with the alcohol. I was quit 5 years and picked it right back up with the grog.

My theory, for whatever it is worth...leave off the grog, then work on the smoking. That is what worked for me the first time, I'm hoping it works for me this time.

Good luck.

I'm not a serious artist, but more of a week end singer...have missed a bunch of practice recovering from drinking binges, makes me sad.

Comment

Hey Serious,
      I also noted in some place i read about topa.. think it was under research on MWO.. maybe even in the lancet study.. that topa also reduces cravings for smokers.
      Don't quote me on that.. but you can do your own research.
      There is a research tab up top here.. or there is always google. You also should get yourself a doctor to support you.
      Don't mess about with a serious drug like topa.. it's got to be done right the first time.. get the dosage right or you could mess it up for yourself.. also see thread under "our community" "Ask Dr Garcia".
      Also, there is www.topamax.com to look at.
      Glad you posted,
      Good Luck!!
      MFM

Comment

I quit smoking using Nicorette gum and the patch (found it hard to give up the gum, so switched to the patch, then weaned off that). My family still smokes, so when I go visit them, I get some gum as insurance. I often smoke a few when I'm with them, then "chew" the rest of the time:hat . When I come back home, I stop. It would be hard to give up both at one time, I think. Both alcohol and cigs work on dopamine, the neurotransmitter, too, so you'd be giving yourself a double whammy by trying to stop both at once, although if you can, go for it! Myself, I'd just try one at a time, but using nicotine replacement might be a good option....espec if it's such a trigger!

Best of luck!
        Kathy

Comment

Dear Serious Artist,

Congratulations on taking these steps!

I think Kathy has it right. Smoking and drinking do go hand in hand and yet, quitting both at the same time for me will be too much of a shock for my system. I discovered the site yesterday and made yesterday Day number one for stopping drinking. I smoked 5 cigarattes yesterday, all in the evening because that is my time to relax. If I was drinking, I would have smoked at least twice as many. I ordered the herbs yesterday and will see how I feel about smoking when they arrive. I think I will just try to make a conscious effort to not go over the 5 in a day until I am past the alcohol cravings. Then I will tackle quiting smoking . . . again!

I did feel proud of myself and healthwise pretty good this morning. Determination to get rid of these monkeys on my back but gently so I don't fall too hard will be the best way for me.

Hugs,
          Mary

Comment

Quitting both

Hi there,
            I quit smoking about 20 years ago and prior to that, I smoked 3 packs a day if I went out in the evening. I quit using a subliminal suggestions tape that I listened to during the whole night in another room (It was ocean sounds, so very peaceful) for a full month. I would listnen to them in the car on my way to and from work. The label was "The love tapes" but I tried to find them again to quit drinking, or slow down on my bad drinking habit and I couldn't find them in google.
            I slowed down on my coffee habit (8 coffees per day) separately from quitting smoking.
            Good luck in your journey. I would also try to do these separately.

Comment

Re: Quitting both

I would certainly not give up smoking at the same time. I'm actually thinking of starting again. Heeee!! I have been craving cigs so much just at the thought of not ever drinking again. I know it's not an option as I tried to hard to quit. However, a part of me still wishes that I smoked right now so I would have something to lean on.

Point is, Take one habbit at a time. You are trying to quit two of the hardest addictions and I think you will set yourself up for failure. When I quit smoking it took every ounce of willpower, strenght you name it. I think once you get the no drinking under your belt and start feeling good and can think clearly again the quitting smoking will come.

Isn't it wonderful......After we cut out all this crap from our lives we can start over with a clean slate. Good luck with whatever you decide. People here will support your decision. That's the beauty of this board.

TTFN,
              Nomore

Comment

I am quitting both

Hi!

I have taken Wellbutrin for smoking in the past, and it has worked for me. The only reason I started smoking again was because I stopped taking it and then started nursing school. Enough said! However, I began taking Wellbutrin 5 days ago, and Topamax yesterday, along with the suppliments, CD's and exercise. I never had any bad reactions to Wellbutrin, and I am hoping I don't with Topamax, but if I do I will suffer through it.

Since Wellbutrin and Topamax are safe to do together, why not give it a try. You don't have anything to lose. I know people say to not quit them both at the same time, and it makes sense, but I've chosen to, and I think I'm going to succeed. The Wellbutrin kicks in a little slower than the Topa, about two weeks to take effect. And then it's the same as the Topa, just as you forget to drink, you also forget to smoke.

Good luck to you!!

Jamie

Comment

Re: I am quitting both

Good feedback, asjen. I'm going to be starting wellbutrin this weekend, and looking forward to how it works. I'm still chewing nicorette sometimes, and would like to break that habit!

Kathy

Comment

Hooray! I love wellbutrin. I never had any trouble with it, other than a few restless nights in the beginning, but it's so worth it to be smoke-free. And it's also an anti-depressant! A double-wammy!

Good luck to you!!

Jamie

Comment

Glad to read this post!
                      I was wondering if the subliminal CD's would work for my smoking. It seems I have been smoking a little more since I stopped drinking. I have a scrip for wellbrutrin but wanted to wait a few weeks on the topax to see if I wanted to attempt quitting the smokes.
                      God! We all sound like a bunch from Valley of the Dolls only sober!

Comment

Hee Hee.

Vikki you are giving away your age (and mine) with the Valley of the Dolls reference! Back to the smoking. On the hypno CD, there is a place where you can add your own suggestions, I add that smoking is self destructive and something I don't want to do. Also on that same CD, you get instruction for doing self hypnosis, and I intend to use that also for smoking. Right now I am just going through a bad time with my basement "friend" (the grog) trying to come out and play so I'm not worrying too much about the smokes. I do plan on conquering tobacco, too, just taking one thing at a time!

Comment

The hypnosis fellow also has a specific hypnotic cd for stopping smoking, probably $28, if you would want to order that. Yes, I'm aware of the antidepressant qualities of wellbutrin, happy about that, also!

Hugs,
                          Kathy

Comment

Working...
                          X