A Virgin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Virgin

Hello all. I downloaded the book and did a little reseach about Topomax. It sure does look like it is worth a try!
    What really appealed to me was an alternative to 12 step and meetings. From the looks of the posting, you all have meetings quite frequently.
    I am 47 and have been considering myself a 'heavy drinker' for the last ten years. It has taken a toll on my body and mind. I am really at a point where I need to get control. I can't believe how I let my drinking get so much control
    One concern is that I just started back on wellbrutrin. Should I quit if I go on the Topomax
    I look forward to your support:lol

A Virgin

This is the place to be. I started a week ago after a bad night out and some very embarassing moments. I've been thinking of downloading the book. There are alot of great stories in here. These boards have become my new addiction and do help with the control. I personally would talk to my doctor (if your compfortable) or even the pharmasist before mixing drugs . I'm sure someone else reading your post will have more info on that matter. You take care and remember that we are here and we are from all walks of life. No judging in this group. You can even show up in pajammas....heeee..

TTFN

Comment

A Virgin

Welcome Vikki!
      Just to be sure about mixing meds, I would ask Dr. Garcia, which you can do right on this website. But I know I for one, and many others take anti-depressants for depression/ anxiety, etc. and have been cleared by the doc to take Topamax as well. But I dont know your medical history, and if you have any other conditions such as high BP, etc. I guess that could factor in, so just check with doctor to be sure. But my guess is that as long as you are in generally good health it will probably be fine.

You will find a lot of support here, so we we look forward to getting to know you.

Good luck!
      Allie

Comment

A Virgin

Wellbutrin and Topamax

Hey Vikki,

Wellbutrin and topa are safe together. Two cautionary notes: wellbutrin and drinking are related to a somewhat elevated risk of seizures, so be careful about drinking while taking wellbutrin. Also since wellbutrin does work on dopamine, which alcohol also elevates, there is some risk that wellbutrin can increase cravings, although this is generally not the case. So just try to be aware of these things.

I'll be watching with you, because my psychiatrist has just allowed me to start wellbutrin. He wouldn't prescribe it to me before because I was drinking too much! Now he will, so I'm looking forward to trying it! I'm pretty sure I have a dopamine shortage in my brain!

Welcome!
        Kathy

Comment

Working...
        X