South Beach Diet - is it just me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it just me or do other people on the south beach diet find that it has helped with alcohol cravings? I'll have been on it for 2wks tomorrow, my physical cravings are virtually none existent :yes2:. Phycological cravings are still there but they're not triggering physical ones like they have in the past. Was just wondering what others were experiencing with regards to cravings.

19days AF and feeling bloody marvelous :jumpin:.

Want
    :h
    AF since April 8th 2008 :kudos::rays:

Snake....... come crawling,
    There's fire in your eyes,
    Bite me, excite me,
    I'll learn to realize.

The poison transmuted,
    Brings eternal flame.
    Open me to heaven,
    To heal me again.

Want,

It is funny, this corresponds to Gelgit's thread about dry drunk and some postings there.

The South Beach diet is a low carb diet. Us drinkers tend to be hypoglycemic. That is why L-Glut can help so tremendously with cravings. Keeping your simple carb intake to a minimum helps with alcohol cravings because it controls sugar cravings. (Alcohol is a sugar.)

I am so glad you are doing so well!! Stay with the South Beach Diet for a while and see if it keeps up.

Love,
    Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Yeah I found low carb really helped with the cravings big time.

Comment

Me too! I find that cutting carbs and sugar out of my diet not only reduces cravings, it gives me a LOT more energy after a few days!!!

Comment

Can someone explain the difference between a physical & psychological craving please?
          The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Hi LVT25,

Physical cravings are when you get the shakes and sweats, like with withdrawal, then that persistent feeling that you need a drink, like craving a ciggarette. I have an empty feeling around my chest and stomach that I need to fill. That's me anyway, hard to describe but it's an actual physical feeling as apposed to a thought.

Psychological, thinking drinking, that insane voice that tells you it's ok to have a drink
            :teeter: :stomper: :tempted: :lordhelpme: :headbanger: :chute:

for me they both kind of feed off each other. Cutting all the carbs and sugar out of my diet has helped me with sugar/AL cravings so the physical cravings aren't there as much to feed the psychological cravings which aren't as intense.

I'm not sure I've explained it very well, hope this helps.

want
            xx
            AF since April 8th 2008 :kudos::rays:

Snake....... come crawling,
            There's fire in your eyes,
            Bite me, excite me,
            I'll learn to realize.

The poison transmuted,
            Brings eternal flame.
            Open me to heaven,
            To heal me again.

Comment

When I started getting serious with MWO and South Beach in January, there were several on these boards who told me I was over doing it and setting myself up to fail to try to lose weight and stop drinking at the same time. I kept trying to explain that when you are doing a low-carb diet it really HELPS the efforts to not drink and it works best together but they wouldn't believe me.

So - I'm glad y'all are seeing the benefits too. You can get in a groove and really see the change.

I often wonder if I ate a huge bowl of pasta or potatos or something how quickly it would affect the craving for sugar or al? I'll just avoid it.

I made BLT's for my family and some guests on Saturday and I looked at the bacon, lettuce, tomato, avocado and green chile on the counter and wondered how to do that without bread! I rolled up bacon, tomato, avocado and green chile on a big leaf of lettuce with a little light mayo and had BLT lettuce wraps. You can do all things with creativity and the willingness to have a little drip on your arm!
              Member since January 2008
              AF since August 25, 2008

Comment

Thanks want---

I used to get "cravings" around 4 or 5 pm, especially after work. I know now that it was really helpful to eat instead of drink and smoke. So I agree it's a "sugar" thing. I still get that "taste" in my mouth, but reach for a diet soda or eat something instead of AL.
                Tired--the blt lettuce wraps sound great! I am still so amazed at how many things have sugar in them!
                The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

:butterfly:

Want Real Meaning - if you are still on the SBD - I would love an update on how this is working for you!! I think it's worth checking into!!

Liv
                  AF since Jan. 1, 2008 .... It all began right here

Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice, you made it now.

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

Absolutely low carb helps! I am doing Atkins not only because carbs make me gain weight (so does a bunch of wine, lol) but because I used to get insane sugar cravings as well as alcohol cravings whenever I did 3-week alcohol detoxes. I have had that kind of empty pit that something needs to fill, but this time after kicking sugar, there is no voice screaming from the pit "GIVE ME A MARS BAR!!"

I got 3 weeks of horrendous headaches, but it was worth it to get the cravings under control as I am shooting for at least a year AF and could not have done that with the cravings being so intense.

Perhaps with South Beach, you won't get the headaches quite as bad because you are allowed more carbs, as my understanding is. However, it should mean fewer cravings. SOOO glad this is working out for you guys as well- keep it up! :-)
                    Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

Where in the heck is 'want' anyway? I haven't seen her around lately.

Comment

AFM and Liv,

"Want" used to post on the daily ABS thread but went MIA a few weeks ago.

Beck
                        Beck

Sometimes you get there in spite of your route, losing track of your life and what it's about, the road seems to know when to straighten right out...Mary Chapin Carpenter

Comment

Thanks Beck - hope all is well with want.
                          AF since Jan. 1, 2008 .... It all began right here

Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice, you made it now.

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

Working...
                          X