Another newbie..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another newbie..

Hi all, I'm really excited about this! I'm a 38 year old male and have been drinking progressively heavier over the past 7-8 years. My problem is that I am an absolute beer snob, homebrewer, micro, ect. Well, it started to get the best of me. I am now at about 6 drinks a day (on average). Most people I know would be shocked to know this. I'm kind of a closet drinker; I don't sneak, but I don't drink and drive and am never seen drunk (or even buzzed) by most of my friends. I'm sick of walking around droggy, and you all inspired me to take action (I've been lurking here for a couple weeks). I've got my topa (my FNP thought this was a really exciting way to treat problem drinking), ordered the CD's and am going to get the supplements after work.. I'll stop rambling, just wanted to introduce myself(my name is Marty).

Another newbie..

Welcome Marty! Looks like you are finding the site as motivating as I am. All the best to you.

Comment

Another newbie..

welcome marty!!

I am a beer snob too...

and a wine snob too, for that matter,

but hey its still a problem if you drink too much for your own liking, even if its ONLY at appropriate times, and ONLY expensive particular wine or beer and youre a conniosseur, and you've never bothered or hurt anyone else. What matters is if the costs of over doing it all the time,....to YOU and your own life or soul or body or peace of mind have outweighed the benefits and you have had enough!

All of us here have tried and tried other ways of cutting back or controlling and not been successful. This program works like a charm. My advice is dive in whole heartedly, it is wholistic, it is not without some difficulties, but SO WORTH IT!!!!!!

Any questions, we are here!

Good luck!

Comment

Another newbie..

Hi Marty

Hi
        and welcome I am new to this as well , not at all shocked by your 6 beers a day ,2 years ago used to drink 3 litres of white lightening cider (7.5%) a day , ended up in hospital with liver faliyre, went dry for 14mths now drinking again . This bunch are really good they have inspired me to buy the book and make a doctors app to get some topa. Where u from ? I am from the uk ,40 years old mum with a 15 year old son. Good luck with your mission.

Whitestar

Comment

Another newbie..

Thanks

Thanks for the welcome.

Whitestar, it really isn't that hard to start I read the book and the day I finished it (yesterday) I got an appt with my doc, got the Topamax, and hunted down all of the supplements. I started the supplements today and my first dose of topa will be this afternoon.

I'm excited about this program. I especially liked the perspective that "Roberta" put on alcohol (most people view it like butter). I hope I'll see it that way soon!

Whitestar, I'm in Klamath Falls, Or, US. I have a 15 year old son also!

Comment

Another newbie..

welcome Marty

Hey Marty, Welcome aboard from a fellow Oregonian! I'm just a river or two over from you. I'm on the Rogue, near the mouth(in more ways than one! Ha!) Aren't we all? Anyway I'm on my lunch break, gotta get back down stream to work...
            later....Hugs, Judie

Comment

Another newbie..

Hi Judie!

You're in Gold Beach? Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome!

Marty

Comment

Another newbie..

Mouth o Rogue

Hi Marty, Well I'm not in Gold Beach, right now, but that's the nearest gas station...There's a couple of small grocery stores between here & there. But not much, besides, river, houses, & mts! We live upstream about 10 mi.... Love it! Just far enough from all the relatives...Ha.. small world sometimes, huh? We probably know some of the same crazies...
                later, Judie

Ps day 9 and feelin fine. Today went so fast I couldn't believe it! This is wierd. Hope I don't get over confident...
                My Hubby went to town for smokes...I'm sure he wanted a beer tho. I called him from town earlier to see if he needed anything... Glad he's not drinking it here , that really helps.
                Hugs Judie

Comment

Another newbie..

re-ps from last post

whoops I thought I was still on the day 9 MM check in thread w/ that PS ... Duh Oh well

Comment

Another newbie..

Re: re-ps from last post

Well, Judie, that sounds even nicer. I'd love to live on the coast. Maybe a vacation house later on

Day 9, cool! I just had my first alcohol free day (that I can remember) yesterday. I feel sooooo good this morning! Haven't felt this alive in a long time. Really really wanted a beer last night, though!

Comment

Another newbie..

NA beer

It's Friday night, & I'm gonna get wild and have an NA Busch Beer! Livin on the edge now! It actually tastes pretty good.
                      Better stay home though, might end up dancin on the table or something! Ten days & still going... Yesterday was a bit challenging for a while. I got paid & went to town to cash my check, started thinking, "Hey I should celebrate, it's been over a week now... and I've got cash!" But I didn't... I was a good girl & came straight home. Don't quite trust myself "out & about" at this stage. Self discipline isn't one of my strong points... Who'da thunk? later, and good luck, congrats on
                      that first day! that's a tuff one! Judie

Comment

Another newbie..

Re: NA beer

Hey Judie! All or nothin' right? I'm on day 5 of the program now and haven't had a drink! Cool, huh? Wanted one, but it hasn't been unbearable. Did get a six pack of O'Douls non alcoholic beer; is that cheating? Tastes good in a pinch...

Comment

Another newbie..

might join

Hi!

I haven't started this program yet. is it really working? I have a beer problem. and was wondering rather or not to join

thanks

Comment

Another newbie..

why not

Hey Barb, Why not join? What've you got to loose?(besides everything in your life that you care about...if you don't get a handle on the drinkin'- at least, that's how it is with me!) And it's OK if you're from Texas, we'll still let you join......just kidding! No, really, Welcome aboard.

And Marty, I sure hope NA beer isn't cheating... I broke down and had a few this weekend. Tasted pretty good. And I didn't get up on tables or loose my clothes or nothin'! Guess that's a good sign...Ha.
                            Hugs, Judie

Comment

Another newbie..

Re: why not

Judie, glad to know it ain't cheating! I'm shooting for moderation, but figure I gotta abstain before I can let myself try to drink like a normal person. Also, I wanna let the topa do it's thing for awhile.

Barb, my problem was just beer and wine too. Lots of beer and wine.

Comment

Working...
                              X