Another Newbie - clear out the house!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all, have had 7 good days and just discovered this site and all the people with the same problems as me. Seems like it could be me writing the posts! White wine is my major demon but anything will do from margaritas, white russians, red wine, anything but scotch or beer for me. I have even been known to down sherry with a dash of blackberry cordial in a pinch. Shameful me looking for the anaesthetic again.

Social situations, boy if i told u what i did at my bosses place during a big night out, two years later and i havent lived it down. Has something to do with a hot night, no clothes and a swimming pool.....

Guess what I do for work at the moment - contracting at a local club doing all their drink promos, liquor stock, meet with reps, wine tasting, cocktail makings and tastings, OMG I am surrounded by ALCOHOL and EVERYONE HERE DRINKS LIKE THE FISH!!!!!

Luckily my husband doesnt drink much so I have cleared out the house of all wine. Taking Effexor 75 but would like to give topa a try in conjunction for when the going gets tough. Friday nights are drinkypoos night, also need to reward myself for a good housework day. Sheesh I feel like I am surrounded by reasons to drink. HEEELLLPPP!!!

Friday nights are often my downfall, too
    I usually have Friday off, so I spend Fridays cleaning house and taking care of bills etc and getting ready for a "well deserved" drink! It often turns into a Saturday disaster....

I've newly committed to abstinence in my life, and I expect I'll be here Friday night hitting the refresh button and looking for someone to chat with, or laying in bed hypnoing like mad.

I've also taken advantage of the fact that we are swamped at work and volunteered to work as many Fridays as they'll give me for the foreseeable future.

My younger son has promised to let me watch him play Halo 2 Friday night as well "if I don't drink" and maybe let me play some...not that I'm the least bit interested in that...but we could use some bonding time and just another incentive to leave the grog off one more day.

Comment

friday nights - minus the killer wine breath!!!

yes the friday nights are a killer. not only for the drinking but for the wine breath which keeps my whole family a full fifty paces away from me, and my husband reckons i can just about melt his face off during the night. interesting i used to always have one bottle, now its two and i am totally wiped out! i try to hide it (who am i kidding) i stink like a pole cat, and i usually wake up at around 1am and clean my teeth - again - then lay there for two hours angry for myself for giving in - again - and wake up feeling exhausted with a full days activities ahead - again 8) .

How is everyone with the tired feeling that comes with abstinence in the first week or so? It is a killer, my brain feels like cotton wool and i am so sleepy! I am going to load up a couple of posts re different things over the next couple of days and see how it goes. Feeling the anxiety today - gotta get through this bit - and i need to get back to my sewing which i used to do all the time and have neglected for the bot bot.

Thanks everyone in advance if you post!

Comment

Re: friday nights - minus the killer wine breath!!!

The vitamin and supplement regimen is designed to help!

We feel like crap for two reasons: We've poisoned our bodies with excess alcohol and may even be physically addicted to it, *and* we've neglected the heck out of the good things our body needs to be healthy.

Vitamins and supps will help with both, and good medical help and support may be able to help with more.

It does get better, I promise!

Comment

jools -- welcome! I'm new here too - on my 4th day with no drink - nada and feeling a lil tired due to the insomnia BUT not as tired as i thought - i think we should say yay to the supplements for that -- I had to giggle when you said that about the stink pole -- just last week, i walked around paranoid of smelling like a drunk (which i probably did) ...bath and body works can only cover so much -- today, day 4 ...well i KNOW i don't smell like a drunk - more like a bottle of b-12 and a tad proud of that....fridays are tough but accountability to ourselves and maybe someone else is not a bad idea -- i am meeting my trainer for a work out early saturday morning - first, i don' want to let myself down and cave to the wine and or vodka- its been a successful week and TWO, i don't want to let my trainer down ......good luck!!

Comment

Hi Jools!

Welcome to MWO! I know how frustrating it is to be so tired! Wine would give me a false sense of energy, until I got soused and worthless! It's weird, learning to listen to your body again.....

Anyway, the supps help a lot with all of that!

I love to sew too, so I'm glad to hear that sewing will be one of your activities as you work on your recovery!

Good luck, and we'll all be here for you as you begin your journey!

Hugs,
            kathy

Comment

Hi Jools, welcome aboard and good luck. Before stopping drinking your job would have been a dream for me. A way to drink be social and get paid for it. Of course I would have screwed it up big time becauseI wouln't know when to stop and social turns to drunk very quickly.

I am glad you are here and do get busy with all the supps and the CD's as they are agreat start. The people here are great and very strong at the same time very fragile as everyone deals with their recoveries.

Looking forward to seeing you here and hearing how you are doing

Yvonne

Comment

Welcome Jools!
                Get this...I would like to even think that THURSDAYS were close enough to Fridays to celebrate a hard work week... ( work part time...) Any excuse, huh?
                I guess I started looking at weekends as sort of a challenge- in a good way. Like "I'm strong and smart enough to go through these days without the alcohol to fog my mind and make me feel like crap, make my husband mad at me... etc"
                I think Judie (Saint Jude) even referred to them once as "weak-ends"! Thought that was kinda clever. She's clever like that. he he!
                Anyhow, gotta start somewhere, right? Some of us have abstinance goals, some moderation, some not sure yet, but sure as heck don't want to be doing what we were doing before we found this site!
                The supplements Definitely help. Post a lot, read a lot, you will start to find your way out.
                love, Becca

Comment

Wow, i got all warm and fuzzy reading your posts! Thanks guys you really know how I am feeling.

Becca I know how close Thursday is to Friday and yeah i have been there too : I would grab two bottles and go down to mums place (cloak and dagger) and drink the both with her, she only sips so she would have half a glass and I would finish off the other two... what a ride. Then I would drive the kids home - one kilometre around back streets but that does not make it right. They always worry about me as i have always been a rebel who took things to the extreme (no drugs though, just the booze). However as a respectable 44 year old (I only look 43 and a half), living in a respectable neighborhood, nobody would ever guess.

I have started on the supps, home grown though, Dr Sandra Cabot's Liver Toner twice a day, Metagenics Mega B Vitamins(prescription only), EPO, and zinc drink 1 ml in the morning (yuk). These were all prescribed by a naturopath and I know I need to add magnesium and I am going to get some kudzu online.

We are definitely on a budget at present so the cd's are out of the question, maybe later, I will put on a disguise and talk to the mirror very softly for a while. Who would know?

Young at heart you are right about the wine giving a false sense of energy, until getting soused and worthless! I feel like I can actually feel my liver talking to me (or maybe that is just the lambs fry I am having for dinner tonight he he) asking for relief from this constant bombardment!!!

My question is: Can we all get through this weekend safely!!!??? Like IWANTTOBELIEVE I expect I'll be here Friday night hitting the refresh button and looking for someone to chat with, or talking to the mirror like mad.

By the way, do you have to pay to get into the chat room?

And do you have any suggestions for books to read which are devourable while I am in this early stage?

Comment

Hey Jools!
                    You are too funny with the disguise and talking to the mirror! Let me know if that works, girl!
                    We certainly do feel like different creatures without our usual vice, don't we? I had to go to the bar last weekend for a social event with my husband's team. I drank diet coke, then broke down and cried like an idiot, had to leave before anyone saw me. Just felt so weird not to have the beer. Got back, looked around, there were a few others just drinking pop or water. I'm thinking "are they recovering alcoholics, or just normal people??" My poor brain.
                    Anyhow, I have to make it through the next 8 or 9 days without a drink. It is imperative to my self esteem and self control. I'll be around, on and off, but I'll keep checking in on you. ez mail me if you want.
                    No, the chat room does not cost anything. Yay! Just click on "join live chat" or join chat live or whatever it says. Takes a few seconds, then, boom, you're there! It's lots of fun, usually!
                    Good luck, Jools.
                    It's friday night. Does NOT mean drinkin night. Rearrange your thoughts. Friday night means.... You fill in the blank with something important to you.
                    Becca

Comment

ps: look under "what we're reading" for good ideas on some good reads.

Comment

Hi Jools, welcome aboard! I like your "disguise" idea... good one! That mirror can be real scarey sometimes... especially, if you turn the light on! I used to have one of those "crazy" mirrors, that make you look fat or skinny, depending which way you turn them,(when I was a kid), remember those? It was a looong time ago, they probably don't make em anymore. Probably cause cancer or something! Anyway, I was thinkin I shoulda kept it! Or not... Hugs Judie

Comment

Oh yeah, as for the Thurs or Friday,thing... I'm more of the, "It's 5 o'clock somewhere" mentality! Who cares what day it is! Too many yrs w/the hard core "Resort Mentality" 24-7... I thought everyone lived like that! Hummmmm... Just when you think... Oh well, thank God there's something more! Hugs , Judie

Comment

Working...
                          X