Groan! Need to go on a diet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate dieting but the scales are saying something really horrible to me and I bought some clothes today and the changing rooms mirrors said the same horrible things to me as the scales (are they in cahoots?!!) I still managed to fit into size 10 (UK) jeans but they are stretch so that isn't as good as it sounds. I love my food, I mostly eat pretty healthily, I have a reasonably physical lifestyle (but could do more cardio) I am getting more and more AF days under my belt, which helps but I now need to start doing something about the weight. Got a wedding at the end of June as a goal and probably could do with losing 14lbs. I know that it is a simple equation of less calories consumed plus more calories expended = weight loss but could do with a plan to help me along.

Anyone got any recommendations for diets/eating plans/good fat burning exercise/forums like this for dieters? Surgery/drugs/extreme eating and exercise only considered as a last resort!!

:thanks:

Bessie xx (Who is feeling porky)
    I have just cleared the last of the icecream from the freezer so I am ready for tomorrow!!!

Cut the carbs. At least the white ones. It has made a world of difference for me.

Comment

Gives new meaning to big girl pants, does it not? LOL - I know you've missed me.
      sigpic
      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

I eat as many fresh raw fruits and vegetables as I can. I take a banana, apple and couple dozen baby carrots to work to eat during the day - keeps me from buying other indulgences. The sweetness of the carrots and banana help reduce sugar cravings. Oatmeal with two other fruits for breakfast, beans/brown rice/cooked veggies or hearty soup for lunch, a smaller plate of meat/starch/veggies for dinner. 5 Triscuits with a glass of skim milk most evenings. Usually when I try to lose weight, my metabolism just slows down, so I'm eating less but not losing weight. So far with this plan, I've l've lost about a pound a week.
        My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Cutting out the 'white' carbs will make the most impact. Potatoes, white rice, bread, white pasta....

There is no magical, 'healthy' way to lose weight for good unless you change your eating habits and lifestyle. Obviously a no brainer.

Lots of fresh veggies, some fruit, lean meats, and a small amount of whole grain/wheat carbs. Don't over drink, and get in some exercise regularly.

I am eating as I described above and working out 5 times a week now, at least 20 minutes a day. I already feel better and it has only been 9 days!

I completely believe that once you start making changes in your life to become healthier, your desire to drink will decrease as well. :-)

Comment

Bessie is the work out queen! She runs her house a farm and a B&B! She is up and running before most wander out of bed. So I am going to drop back and punt as I am in a pants mood. Glucose in the AM if that is when you do your phsical work, Muscles want glucose. Protien later. small portions, space them out. 5 a day.healthy beverages but watch the sugar. Even juice is a hit to the pancreas.
            sigpic
            Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Thanks for all that. I'll have to hang a pair of my biggest BGPs over the scales as incentive!!

I do DO a lot but I don't do enough cardio vascular/energy burning stuff so will try to build some of that in. Really difficult to find the time but faster dog walks and riding the horse more at trot and canter might help a bit. And getting out in the garden as there are lots of physical jobs needing doing. I LOVE swimming but so hard to find the time to do it.

Giving up the refined carbs is a definite. I do try to avoid those normally but they slip into my life too easily!! Out, out damn cake! Veggies I love so no probs there and not that big into fruit but can usually get a fill of it with breakfast.

Glucose in the am makes sense and explains why I am a bit pathetic at bucket carrying etc in the morning as I usually do the feeds etc for the animals before I have breakfast. Later in the day, when I have eaten, I am stronger. Don't really do juices apart from to get the All in One down my neck and then it is watered down - drinks of choice are tea. occasionally coffee and water. Semi skimmed milk. Can't go to skimmed unless it is for cooking.

I haven't actually changed my weight for quite a few months now but I think I also haven't tried on any new clothes for a few months either!! I had a Mirena (hormone) coil fitted last year and put on about 7-8lbs pretty much straight away. That should have settled down no so hopefully won't get in the way of the weight coming off.

Thanks for your help. Any more gratefully received. Particularly simple ideas for lunches/dinners. I can cook well enough but just sometimes run out of mental energy to decide what is the healthy choice for a meal and just find what I can when I get hungry. I know planning ahead is key to it.

Bessie xx

Comment

Bessie--curious about what you said about the Mirena IUD. I need to get my IUD replaced and that is what my DR recommends. Is weight gain a side effect.?

I guess it's better than weight gain from a pregnancy at age 47!:H
                The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Yep weight gain is a well known one. I think I suffered from some others. Moodiness (normally I'm fairly well balanced!) and breakthrough bleeding and a few other things - all fairly minor - but they lasted about 6 months and I was ready to give it up (if it wasn't for the thought of it being removed - ouch!!) - but stuck with it and no problems at all now. Except for needing to lose the bloody weight!

Bessie xx

Comment

Bessie, from a psychological viewpoint try to look at it as eating more healthily than dieting. Dieting in my eyes meant I was depriving myself of foods so I looked at it as changing my diet/lifestyle. A good place to start as well is to kick start your metabolism to work in your favour. Some general supplements and vitamins like Vitamin C (500mg), Vitamin B and Omega 3 oil capsules helped me. I lost 11lbs last month and that was by taking the vits., eating healthily, drinking lots of water (no sugary drinks whatsoever) and I did NO strenuous work-outs. Half hour walks once a day would suffice in the beginning. I am now looking at taking the exercise a bit further but long cardiovascular workouts is not the way for me. If you get the chance read a book called "The Doctor's Heart Cure" by Dr. Al. Sears. you can get a copy from Amazon for about ?6.00 and well worth the money. It's full of good advice on exercise, healthy eating, supplements and vitamins etc. and you can tailor things to your own needs very easily.

Good luck Bessie!!

Love and Happiness
                    Hippie
                    xx
                    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

I forget to mention the biggest change in my eating habits was to stop eating processed foods and frozen meals (even the low-fat ones; they normally increase the carbs and sugars to make up for the loss of fat or taste!!). Certain fats are good for you and you need them in your diet anyway. But read the book, it has totally changed my way of thinking about food and 'diets' and exercise etc. It was not a hard book to read either and also very easy to comprehend. (And I'm a complete ****wit!!)lol

Love and Happiness
                      Hippie
                      xx
                      "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                      Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

11lbs!? Wow. I'm just going over to Amazon now...thanks for the tip! I hate 'diets' and would much rather change my pattern of eating. I just need a bit of a boost (kick up the backside) so that book sounds like it might hit the spot.

Thanks

Bessie xx

Comment

Get a used bicycle. There must be plenty of good ones around the UK.

Comment

Hi Bessie,
                            I think that`s where so many people go wrong when trying to rid themselves of excess weight......."diet" should be a dirty word. If you consciously embark on a diet, it`s all too easy to feel as if you`re depriving yourself, which is why so may people successfully lose weight only to pile it all back on again,when the diet is officially OVER lol

The only way to lose weight and maintain the weight loss is never to diet at all.......we just need to adhere to a healthy eating plan......for life, whilst remembering not to deprive ourselves........everything in moderation (save for alcohol for me personally) After all, it is said that "a little of what you fancy does you good".

I found when I quit drinking that I shed weight quite easily, just by eating healthily.......23 lbs so far. However, I would still like to lose a further 12 lbs, and I do think that the last bit of excess is the hardest to shift........have now cut out all the bad carbs to reach my ideal weight. And exercise is worth it if it means it allows us a few more calories!!! lol

Happy non-dieting!!!! lol

Darling x
                            Formerly known as Starlight Impress.

Comment

Just cutting out the whites has helped me tremendously.

Comment

Working...
                              X