I'll be quitting one way or another!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL! This is the third of day of me not having anything to drink. It's sort of a good news/bad news story.

Saturday afternoon was a beautiful day here in Texas, so I decided to join my husband on the golf course. I had a few beers before I went, and then when I got to the course they were on hole 3 so I had a marshall take me out to meet him. Shortly thereafter, the beer girl came by. We got a few more but I think I only had one. I had finally gotten up the nerve to tell him about this program and that I was quitting. He was somwhat confused but still supportive. To keep it simple, I told him it was supplements and things like that. He knows how badly I've wanted to quit. So anyhoooo...

We were having such a good time, riding in the cart and talking and enjoying the sunshine. He was playing well! All of a sudden, he said "hold on" and left the cart path onto the fairway. I was holding on but apparently not good enough because I bounced out of the cart, landed on the cart path, and the cart ran over me.

YIKES!!! As soon as I got up, I knew my foot was broken. My left foot should have been pointing straight ahead and instead it was pointing left. Not good at all.

My husband took me to a small hospital and they took me straight back (fortunately didn't have to sit in the waiting room for hours). They x-rayed and saw how bad it was, so they arranged to transfer me to another hospital for surgery. They did, and so at the second hospital they took me straight to the OR. The heel was dislocated from the ankle bone, and the ankle bone was broken. They put screws into my ankle bone to hold it in place.

I stayed in the hospital until noon on Monday and then came home with orders to stay in bed for a week. Of course I had no beer in the hospital, and there's nobody going to bring me any in bed! By the time this is all over, I should be over the worst of the habit and I couldn't be more happy about it!

I think this is the best injury I've ever had, because it has enforced what I wanted to do, which was stop drinking, but thought I couldn't. Guess as it turns out, I really can!

Is it ok if I am chuckling a little bit??:lol sorry, owwweeee!
    Oh my goodness, what a story! Sounds like you need some O.T. !! ( I'm an Occupational Therapist). Trouble getting around? Getting dressed? Getting into the kitchen to get yourself a beer??? ooooops!!!!!!!!
    Best of luck to you. Do you have to get back to work with your broken foot, or do you have all the time in the world to hang out with us online now? Read lots, tell us more about where you need to go with your drinking/sobriety plan. We're here!
    Keep your foot elevated. Use a belt with it looped at the end to help lift your foot into bed if you need some assist
    Love,
    Becca

Comment

Bless your heart!

I quit smoking that way....knew I was going to have surgery, smoked like a demon all the way to the hospital, and wasn't allowed to smoke in the hospital, and wasn't allowed to drive for 2 weeks.....so after 2 weeks, I figured the worst was over and I could deal with it

Having said all that....I'd use this as a chance to jumpstart the program. While you've got the extra advantage of being "off your feet", go ahead and start the program!

I hope you feel well!

Comment

Yes! It's my jumpstart program! And while it hurts like the dickens, I'm still thankful for it in a weird way.

I see the surgeon tomorrow and will get this splint and bandage replaced with a regular cast if the swelling is down. I'm sure that I'll be having plenty of OT shortly. If it's still too swollen for a plaster cast, he'll put a fracture boot on it for a few weeks. I'll be off work for two weeks for sure, and after that will go back with a wheelchair.

So I'll be darned if I'm going to ask anyone to bring me a beer, and I can't drive to go get my own. I'm taking lots of pain meds and wouldn't want to combine them anyway. I really think I can stay away from drinking for the 2-3 weeks it would take to start changing my habits.

Oh and you're allowed to chuckle all you want ... we've been laughing for days now. Like one of the guys at work told my husband, it must have really slowed his game down. Hit the ball, drag Kathy. Hit the ball, drag Kathy. :lol

Comment

Well, Kathy, you have one heck of a sense of humor! You go girl! You've taken a great excuse to feel sorry for yourself and drink into a triumph! This could turn into the best sobriety story ever!

Hugs,
          Kathy (too!):rollin

Comment

Wow Kathy. Thank you so much for the laugh. You are great. Hope you heal soon and stay with us. This should be fun.:rollin

Comment

one way or another...

WOW!! My Hubby's been trying to get me to pick up golfing... This could be "My Other Way Out"!Ha!
              Sorry bad joke... Although, I wonder if our insurance would cover that?... probably not.
              I wouldn't be able to climb ladders or wait tables tho!...Hmmm....
              Well Kathy, sounds like your'e in good hands,... then again, .... HA ....at least you have a good attitude(much more important!) Don't take it personal, but one of my best friends is a "quad" (gets more done in the first hr he's up, than most people do in a full day!)
              Hugs, Judie

Comment

Re: one way or another...

Thanks very much! I have figured out that I might as well laugh about it and have a good attitude, since it has already happened. There's nothing I can do about it now but smile and try to heal.

I just talked to my husband and he says the big boss is telling him I should stay off work for at least two weeks. We go to the doctor this afternoon so we'll see what he says. He already told me I have to prop it and when I said I do desk work at a computer, he said that's sorta bad because it's hard to keep it propped. My inlaws have a wheelchair we are borrowing which will help, but we'll still have to do some tricky positioning to get me comfy at my desk.

Anyway, I appreciate all of your support. I know for sure that I'll be away from alcohol for two weeks since there isn't any in the house, I'm not asking anyone to bring me some, and I can't drive to go get it myself. This will be the way I'm able to turn the whole experience into a positive -- because I'll always remember the accident was what helped me stop drinking. I'm trying not to get too smug about it though, because I know I'll be tempted as soon as I'm able to drive myself again. Meanwhile, I'm going to continue the kudzu and l-Glutamine to (hopefully) completely eliminate the cravings.

Comment

one way or another!

Hi Pokey,(Kathy), I read part of this thread to my Hubby this AM... , he got a chuckle, and then came back with a real sweet little offer... "Oh, just let me know, I'll help you, baby... I'll even back up & run over you again, just to make sure!".... Aint he sweet!!
                  Guess we're all in good company huh? Ha! Where would we be w/out a little humor?
                  I was always "in trouble" when I was in treatment, for not taking things seriously enough!... Whoda thunk?
                  They must've been worried about their "job security" with people like me around!Ha...
                  Anyway, hope things are going well for you today! I'm taking a day off. Been workin too much & the sun's shinin! Priorities call! Hugs, Judie

Comment

Re: one way or another!

I had to read this one to my hubby this morning too... he is a big golfer, and he could relate to the foot injury as well. We thought he took the cake with the crazy foot breaking story, but I dont know now! He was trying to "slide" a dryer down the stairs last year when we were moving b/c he got impatient waiting on our son to get back from the storage unit. Anyhow, he missed a step.. had to let go of the dryer to catch himself, wound up at the bottom of the stairs with a dryer on top of him! I heard the whole thing from the kitchen. It sounded horrible. He broke both sides of his ankle, and four fingers where the dryer landed on top of him as he was trying to protect his head. Could have been so much worse. But he had pins and screws, etc. We laugh a lot about it now. We were trying to save money by not "hiring" any help with the move.... it would have been so much cheaper to just hire the help!!

You have such a great attitude... my hubby was whining for days!!! I think I wouldve been too... I'm a wimp for pain.

You go girl!!
                    Good luck, Allie

Comment

Re: one way or another!

Yeee-ouch! Allie, that sounded painful just reading about your husband's injuries! I wonder if what I did qualifies as a sports injury?

We went to see the surgeon this afternoon, first time in his office. The nurse asked how it happened, and my husband said you should have the doctor tell you, he tells a great version of it. The nurse said oh you've seen the doctor about it before? and hubby said yeah, he did surgery on her Saturday night. The nurse gets this weird look on her face and starts looking back and forth at us like we're celebrities! It was so funny! She said OMG, you guys are the one with the golf cart accident! That's the worst injury I've ever seen! and we said umm, you mean you know about it? She said EVERYBODY here knows about it! :lol I thought hubby was going to shrink into the carpet. For some reason, he thinks the whole world blames him.

While sitting in the waiting room though, he filled out all my paperwork and when it got to the part about "do you drink?" he put yes, and the choices were infrequently, frequently, weekly, and daily. He circled daily! I was like hey hey hey, I told you I was quitting! He said well this is asking about what you've done in the past, not what you plan to do in the future. Do you want me to write in that you have anywhere from six to twelve every day? I said NO! I was sorta embarrassed but at least it opened up a little dialogue between us. He said well you did tell me you were going to quit so this is probably a good time, huh? I was feeling bad at that point because I foolishly had thought I was hiding it pretty good. I had no idea he knew I drank every day but now I realize that of course he could smell it.

Comment

ouch..

This just gets funnier...
                        We were the same way. When we got to the surgery Center, outpatient, they were the same way. Everybody already knew the story about the dryer... they were like, "Oh YOU are the one who went skiiing with a dryer on his back??" Fortunately, my husband doesnt drink, except an occasional beer or two, and rarely finishes the second, so that was not an issue. But at least HE ran over you. If YOU had run over you, that would have been even worse... things can always be worse!!

You could write a book later called, "How to get sober in two weeks, guaranteed."
                        :rollin
                        Allie

Comment

Re: ouch..

Thanks Pokie and Allie for the stories. Too funny although I am glad everyone is okay. Way to go Pokey on using this to stop drinking you are already ahead of the game. Hope you feel better soon and are enjoying getting some rest and being spoiled.

If you havent read the joke section on the board you should try it as I think you will appreciate the sense of humor on there.

Enjoy the rest and if you catch up on any favourite soaps you can fill us in on the details

Comment

Re: ouch..

I don't watch soaps but I can tell you everything that happens on People's Court, Judge Mathis, Judge Judy, etc. I'm a judge junky now!

Day five without having a drink and I'm doing super! I feel so good about it!

Comment

Update

Day six and I'm still hanging in there. Of course there's no question of whether or not to drink ... I can barely get anyone to bring me water and food, let alone anything else! LOL!

Friday nights are hard because we usually go out to dinner. Hopefully tonight will be okay -- my husband isn't exactly a great cook but he's been making corndogs and frozen dinners for me. I'm thankful that I have that.

Comment

Working...
                              X