Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

? on Liver enzyme test prior to getting Top from Dr?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another poster mentioned not being able to take Top due to elevated liver enzymes. I am seeing my Dr. tomorrow (nervous) and was wondering if they typically do a blood test prior to prescribing? What does the elevated liver enzyme mean?

Thanks for any answers!

K.

good question kit...I saw the same or similar post and wondered the same thing -- anxious to see the replies...

jen

Comment

My doctor didn't request any bloodwork, but I had just had annual physical bloodwork done which came back great (not bad for a drunk!)

Comment

It depends on the doctor, whether they order the test. Elevated liver enzymes can indicate whether there is damage to the liver. Some doctors won't RX if there is. Some will RX anyway, reasoning that you'll do more damage if you keep drinking. My psych didn't make me do bloodwork to get topa, because I had had bloodwork done the year before that was relatively normal and drinking hadn't gone up or down much since, but he wants me to get some done now. Hope this helps!

Kathy

Comment

I was the one who posted about liver enzymes. They were elevated from drinking. I found out after further tests I have Hepatitis C probably from getting blood transfusions after a car accident.

Once I stopped drinking for a month my enzymes went back to normal. Elevated enzymes meant my liver was not functioning as it should have and some toxins were getting into my blood and not filtered out by the liver as they should have been.

Hope that helps.

Marcie

Comment

Working...
          X