May 1 AF - May AFers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May 1 AF - May AFers

Hey everyone! This is me starting out May AF! I only have three days under my belt but I believe that with the support of all of you that I can take this ODAT through May. Today is my 13th wedding anniversary (may have said that yesterday) and my husband and I have probably drank or been drunk every one of those. Not tonight. Tonight is a nice dinner out with my husband and children. I have rehearsed over and over "water with lemon please" and visualized how refreshing and satisfying that will be.

I 've been reading about hypoglycemia and problem drinking on this site. I have been hypoglycemic since I was a teenager. It may by why the switch from beer to wine was such a fast downward spiral for me. It gave me such a quick high compared to the beer (although I drank a ton of that too) that I would practically chug the first 16 oz and then continue to drink to keep the buzz going. So, like I said I was reading about the hypoglycemia connection and when I started to feel resentful and weak (after my husband opened his second of three beers), I poured a glass of cranberry juice and chugged it. You know what? Instant high. I was animated and talking a mile a minute. Just as if I had a little wine. Then I ate dinner and the weak moment was gone.

Here's a quote for ODAT that I found. I liked it because I tend to seemed a huge amount of my time being guilty for the past or worried about the future.

Yesterday is but a dream, tomorrow is only a vision. But today well lived, makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope.

Sanskrit proverb

Hope everyone's day goes well - or is going well. I heading to the gym and then work at my husband's business before I come back home and tackle housework and paying bills (yuck!)
    Wasted Time (NO MORE!)

May 1 AF - May AFers

Hi- I am with you for the month of May ..... Great that you are three days in. May shall be AF!
    :new:

Comment

May 1 AF - May AFers

May 1 is day one for me. I have been lurking around here for a couple of years and never made it to thirty days AF. But that is the past, nothing but thoughts, and has no control over today.
      Peace and Love,
      Phil
      Love and Peace,
      Phil

Sobriety Date 12.07.2009

Comment

May 1 AF - May AFers

Hi Wastedtime and Booklvr!!!!! Well, here comes May......lets get this party started!!!!! (Without Al of course!!!!!) Wastedtime, happy anniversary, enjoy your meal tonight!!! Try a tonic water with ice and lemon, it really has made "going out" so much easier for me.

Talking about hypoglycemia....since I stopped drinking I have really craved chocolate - biscuits, desserts, you name it whereas I never touched it before. A few years ago, I was having trouble with pms and got information from the women's nutritional advisory service which made me look at my diet and concentrate on nutrition/vitamins/supplements. I got something called normolgycemia which regulates bloodsugar and stops the cravings - don't know if anyone else has heard of it but think I might well check that out again.

Have a great day and good luck with putting that big fat zero in today's drinktracker!!!

Janicexxx
        AF since 9 May 2012
        Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

May 1 AF - May AFers

Hello All-

I have to post quick, as I have to get to work, would like to be part of the May group and will be checking in most of the time late as I am on PST.

What a wonderful post to start us off WT, congrats on the anniversary, mine is this month also so there will be some challenges
          Saje

Comment

May 1 AF - May AFers

Happy anniversary WT! Good for you having a plan tonight. Going out to eat is always hard on me. I always look around to see if anyone else is just drinking tea. Then I realize I'm probably the only one worried about it. Hope you have a great dinner.

Ollie

Comment

May 1 AF - May AFers

Hi I want to take the plunge and join you for a AF May. I am at day 12. I hope making a commitment will help me soldier on. I am in!

Comment

May 1 AF - May AFers

WastedTime,
                The more time you do, the easier it gets.

Welcome All, There is plenty of room on the wagon!

Love to all, Sam [ 21 days AF & 56 years young today ]

Comment

May 1 AF - May AFers

Wastedtime you are doing a great jog with this thread already. I am on day 3 (once agin) but am back on board for May. I am taking antabuse as it seems to be extremely liberating to me that I no longer have an option to start drinking. As long as I don't start I can do this.

I am also going through a difficult time in my marriage so you all may get sick of me this month. Good Luck to all of us. I know that we will be very supportive of each other and I am looking forward to getting to know you all better.

Comment

May 1 AF - May AFers

im in, sry for quick responce, taking dog out. xx

Comment

May 1 AF - May AFers

Happy Birthday, Sam!!!!!!!
                      Wasted Time (NO MORE!)

Comment

May 1 AF - May AFers

I'm on this one too. Happy Birthday Sam, Happy Anniversary Wasted. Happy May 1st everyone else. I am going to put a zero in my drink tracker already even though it's only 5pm in the UK. I will down my L-glut and just know I will not drink today. Nothing like a fresh start!

Bessie xx

Comment

May 1 AF - May AFers

Happy Anniversary Wasted Time! Thanks for starting this thread.
                          I am very hopeful and pumped for an AF May - no wine in the house at all - finished the last 2 glasses just past midnight - was kinda sad about it, but I really, really want this!!!! I shall listen to the CD's tonight - I've started on the Kudzu - and will try again to find some L-Glut on my way home from work tonight.
                          Good luck everybody!!! And Happy May!
                          Peanut

Comment

May 1 AF - May AFers

Today is day one for me. Going to chug some cranberry juice!
                            One out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced. Think of your 3 closest friends...If they seem OK then you are the one.

Comment

May 1 AF - May AFers

Hello all, good to hear we are off to a good start.

Wasted and Janice, I too suffer from hypoglycemia for years. When I learned the connection between AL and hypo it shook my world. Never heard of normoglycemia....very curious.
                              I have good eating habits and am taking Glut....and no AL. I am taking this month to see if I can actually recover from hypo....we'll see

Went out for dinner and my pal drank wine in front of me(I turned it down!) It was hard, but am glad I did.

Tom. is going to be the hard one....never been AF on a Friday.....here we go!!!

enjoy the cran everybody! I am drinking some sparkly juice myself.

flyin

Comment

Working...
                              X