Hello all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello all

I discovered this site yesterday while searching google under Moderation Management. I am a wine lover and over the past year or two have gone from drinking one or two glasses to four or five most nights. Having one AF day is big success.

My glass (glasses) of wine are my reward at the end of a long exhausting day at work. It is the way I relax and "take care of myself." I realize that drinking 25-30 glasses per week is not moderate. I hate when I cannot remember conversations from the night before. I hate that I cannot stay awake past 9 PM. I don't even want to think about what it might be doing to my brain, liver, stomach, etc.

I ordered the book from Amazon yesterday. Any suggestions of what I can start today? I did not drink yesterday and plan to not drink tonight either (4-7 PM....might be more difficult tonight as I should reward myself for staying AF last night. Ha).

Nice to meet you all!

Hello all

Hi Maggie, and Welcome!

Good for you for being abstinent yesterday! That's terrific! Glad you ordered the book. As for what you can do today, I would try to get hold of some kudzu right now to tide you through, take 1200 mg 2x/day (order some on this site or through ViableHerbalSolutions.com which will be at the proper strength) and try to get hold of the All-One powder. Also get some L-Glutamine. If you really crave a drink, empty a capsule right into your mouth to stop the craving! If you want to try for moderation, and you are willing to take medication, set up an appointment with your physician, and get the lancet article from the FAQ section of this board and drop it off for him/her to read and see if you can get a scrip for topa. If you want abstinence, you may want to look into campral, but you must abstain for a number of days before you start campral. The hypnotherapy is an important part of the program, and many have found it quite helpful. If you can afford all four CD's buy them. If you can only afford one, get the HYPNO Cd for the most effectiveness. I found them kind of hokey at first, but they really work!

I really admire you for just stopping like that, and I encourage you to keep trying. However, if you slip and fall, don't be too hard on yourself. Some people CAN just stop, like that, and perhaps you are one of them--if so, that's great! If you aren't--like many of us--it takes a bit of time to get all the elements of the program together, and the more of them that you incorporate, the better your chances of success. Read all the different threads, and go back a while, there is a wealth of information. You will be able to spend lots of non-drinking hours just catching up with everything!

I started topa back in December, and immediately was able to cut my drinking in half. But I didn't try to stop completely until January, when I was up to 200mg. Then I only had 11 days of sobriety before I ran into some stress and whoops! right back down the slippery slope! I waited until the stressful period was over before trying again because I didn't want to sabotage my next effort. Now I am on my 15th day of abstinence again and feeling pretty good! I consider myself a work in progress......

As much as you are drinking right now, there are others who have been drinking much more--your chances of success are very good with MWO. I wish you all the best!

Kathy

Comment

Hello all

hello

Hi Maggie,
      Your story could be mine. Our patterns are nearly identical. Youngatheart has some excellent advice. Starting the Kudzu will really help with the cravings, as well as the Topa. You might want to add CalmsForte, an herbal supplement, as it can really help with the anxiety you may experience from not drinking, especially in the evenings.
      I found that I needed to really watch my triggers. TV was a big one. I would sit down at 9:00 each evening with a glass of wine and turn on the TV to relax. So I don't turn on the TV anymore and it really helps with the cravings. The book is great and very inspirational. Good Luck and Welcome!

Comment

Hello all

Re: hello

Thank you Kathie and Ruby. I just went to Walmart; got the L glutamine but even GNC didn't have the Kudzu. I guess I'll order it from this site. My plan is for moderation. Following the recommendations of Moderation Management of no more than 3 drinks at a time and no more than 9 drinks per week. That seems very far from here but feel more hopeful after finding this site and others to talk to about it.

I need that because no one knows I have a bit of a problem with my wine these days. And triggors.....so true that they impact greatly. For me, even reading a magazine where they feature a vinyard makes me want my own glass!

Comment

Hello all

Hi everyone.....I have to say It's my first time on this website and I'm so glad I found it. There seems to be a category for everyone and the different stages they are in. I can relate to Maggie. I aquired a a taste for wine about 7 years ago and it's been downhill since then. I have always enjoyed a good party but beer didn't affect me so much as wine does. Wine has been a curse for me in so many ways. I so love Thursday nights. I get to watch my shows and drink a bottle of wine. I thought that was fine but I realize I can't just have one glass. I always have to finish the whole bottle. That in itself is a problem I know but I've always jusified it because it never made me feel drunk just a nice little buzz. The bigger problem is social situations. I don't have a turn off switch and I usually just keep going until I pass out. God knows what I've said or don't in the hours of being totally hammered. I realize this has to stop and need this support. I wish you all good luck and health on this journey.

Thanks

Comment

Hello all

Re: reply

Hi nomorwining, Welcome to the site. You are in good company whatever your alcohol of choice is. There are a lot of us where wine is the favourite drink and we associate it with relaxing and as a reward.

Good luck on the program, it really does work and the support you get here is tremendous.

Yvonne

Comment

Hello all

Hi No More,

I can so relate to the lack of a switch. This is my biggest problem. I was able to handle the cravings pretty well with the supps and topa, and was able to stop drinking completely during the week. But.............once I had that first glass of wine on Friday night it was all over for the weekends.

I have recently added antabuse to my program so I don't have to worry about the switch.

-Nina

Comment

Hello all

Thank you all....Nina what is antabuse. I am so new at this.

Comment

Hello all

Oh, a thread after my own heart. Give me a beer, fine. Margarita. Great. One or two is great. Even red wine I can control. But that damn white wine! What the heck is in there that dulls my "turn off" switch? I really don't get it. I don't drink liquor (unless its tequila in a margarita) at all. Really turns me off. The smell, burning, etc. But white wine. Man. Can I put that stuff down.

My goal is to avoid it at all costs. I didn't do so well last weekend, but as of today, no more white wine for me. In fact, I have a bottle open in the fridge and I am going to go RIGHT NOW and pour it down the drain. Bye. Bye.

Jane.

Comment

Hello all

I DID IT!!!!! :rollin :rollin :rollin

Comment

Hello all

Hey Jane - Right on!!

No More - Antabuse is a medication that, when taken, makes you physically sick (big time) when you consume alcohol in any form.

Good luck to the two of you and WELCOME to your way out.

Comment

Hello all

Way to go Jane! That is so hard to do, I know! But you did it! Woo Hoo!

Tammie

PS: I have found that I Can Not have beer in the house any more. That is where I loose control. I am okay with it when I am out because then I can stick to my limit because I have to be home at a certain time and there is no more at home. But if I have it at home there I can't stop myself at three I keep drinking it until it is gone:rolleyes ! So I had to stop bringing it into the house!

Comment

Hello all

Thanks, Tammie. Good idea. I was having like 3 to 4 glasses BEFORE I even went out for the evening. Bad. Very bad. I'm going to have to put blinders on when I go past the white wine aisle.

I appreciate the support! Hope you are doing well.

Jane.

Comment

Hello all

RE_reply

Tammie, Hi! God, I know what you mean about being able to "have an off-switch" when you're in public... We live 10 mi. upriver(not w/out a paddle-bcause I kayak Ha), and I know I have to drive... But once I'm @ home...look out! If it's there... it wants me to drink it!
                            The stuff has a mind & a voice of it's own! It just gets up & jumps down my throat! If I'm in town, I can be "responsible". Weird! I even drove home last friday, after my Honey, had, had way more than needed to drive. He said he was fine, And I'm not "insured" to drive "the Co. rig", but I explained that it's still cheaper than a DUI or an accident or death... He thanked me the next AM.
                            Thankfully, I already had the keys in my pocket when he climbed in behind the wheel. I asked how many beers he'd had ......"I don't know" wrong answer!! move over Honey!.... Hugs Judie.... Amazing that never happened before starting this program!! Thanks Everyone! Especially you RJ! xoxo

Comment

Hello all

Re: RE_reply

Hi I'm new to this and want to try it out but am scared stiff about what R. J. said in her book about losing words etc when on the topa. Has anyone had any experience with this? Does it last as long as you're on the drug? I can't afford to lose words when speaking in my job. Does the program work without the topa? Thanks for any input.

Comment

Working...
                              X