Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SCARED! Seeing Dr. tomorrow for Top...need ideas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My husband does not even know I am going...I prefer to not share this as I think I will feel "monitored" once he knows (he is always supportive anyway). BUT, this is a new Dr. and I am embarressed to share my drinking of a bottle of wine/night or more. WHat should I bring to show her about the Top? Where's the Lancet article? Also, is there a script I can practice? We may be adopting (overseas) next year and I don't want this "issue" to be disclosed...can it be? I am on Effexor 100mg/day so kinda like to be monitored and am sort of chicken to do it w/o a script. Whatdya think though...would it be easier/better to get w/o a script and take my chances that I won't have a reaction? I am not too worried about the extra $$ unless it's outrageous as it will be worth it too me. Had a bad night last night after I "thought" I was doing so well. More on this later after I pick up the kids.

Anyway, I have to get something printed out NOW if I am seeing the Dr. tomorrow so need some ideas...what do ya think?

Thanks!
    K.

Kat, I really don't know what kind of backgroud check they do for adoption, maybe someone else can give info on that. I dropped the Lancet article off a couple days before for my dr to read. I went to my gp so I already had a relationship with her. I said many people on the program went offshore or to another doc to get the scrip and I didn't want to do that. I was very nervous, but I felt great after leaving her office. She did give me the topa scrip, found out when I got home that night I couldn't take it because my liver enzymes were elevated though(bummer). On the research tab you can find the article and other reseach info on the program

Marcie

Comment

There is a link to the Lancet article in the FAQ. Topa gets kind of expensive without the prescription...don't know your circumstances. My last order was $US 173 for 60 75mg and 60 50mg.

When the nurse asks you why you want to see the doctor, just say you want to chat with him....When you see the doctor explain that you are concerned about your drinking, and that you'd like to try a new program you've read about using Topamox off-label for drinking problems and that you have a Lancet article explaining a study. Our doctor went right for it with no problems, others have had problems. You never know. You can always try another doc, or try a doc or a psychiatrist specializing in addictions.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
      X