Searching for reassurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just downed all the supplements. Everything but the all in one powder and the topamax. I thought it might help make tomorrow easier. I still have yet to really admit there is even a problem?that I have let my consumption escalate to the point that now it is hard to stop. I so relate to those of you who describe quitting drinking for a while and convince yourself that there was no problem to begin with. I spent most of last spring and summer not drinking. I promised myself I wouldn?t begin again until Labor Day. I tweaked this, of course as I had a wedding to attend in late August. I told myself that I had done so well I could certainly cut it short. I had proved I could take it or leave it. Well after the wedding I really took it. I think subconsciously I started making up for all the drinks I had denied myself the previous months.

My younger child is four. I had a very scary birth experience that activated my genetically inherited predisposition for both depression and alcohol abuse. Some days it feels like life is passing me by and I take hold of very little of it. I find I often am just ?filling time? till I can open that first beer. It is 4:06pm now?right about time. I grew up hearing my heavy drinking Irish relatives justify opening the booze anytime of the day by exclaiming, ?It?s happy hour someplace in the world?.

I drink expensive beer. Has to be micro brewed, I pride myself on supporting the local economy by staying loyal to the regional beers. I would rather stay sober then drink anything light or cheap (this must also mean I do not have a problem with alcohol) Sometimes I open a bottle of chardonnay. It is unusual for me not to finish it on my own. The amount of beer seems more acceptable. I often stop at 3 beers. On the weekends or if I am at a gathering sometimes I add 1-2 more. If I consume more than 5 beers, I?ll black out. After that wedding I referred to I really went wild. A normal late summer evening- a stroll through town, dinner with the kids and my husband, an art opening, a pottery show. I think I filled a 16 oz. plastic cup with wine before LEAVING town to go home. This was after I was already slurring my words and feeling wasted. We arrived home. I poured myself out of the car and started walking into our field. I told the family I needed some air. My husband put the kids to bed. He said if he had not heard me puking behind the wood pile he might not have found me. I?m not certain I would have made it back inside. It was cold out and the dogs were lying next to me. It was humiliating. I am so thankful that I do not have stories to share that involve my kids or the law. I?m not sure that if I don?t do something now I?ll be telling those stories.

I?m bet I?m not alone in wondering when it was that I lost control. I drank like a fish in college. It was different then. I really could take it or leave it. It never occurred to me to drink outside of a drinking event. Now I prefer to drink alone. I?ll prime myself before going out socially so no one will notice how much I drink and so I get enough. There is nothing more uncomfortable then the host putting the alcohol away and serving coffee! Needless to say I host most of the social events.

I have the most wonderful psychiatrist. She has helped me through this very dark time of post partum depression (4years worth). I came clean with her about the alcohol thing about a year ago. I wanted reassurance that I did not have a problem. As any good psychiatrist will tell you?I was the one who needed to answer that question.

So here I am?planning to start tomorrow- on my dead father?s birthday (he was not an alcoholic and I miss him terribly) I thought choosing a day with some symbolism might help some. I am scared to death it won?t work. If it doesn?t what will I do? I want my old life back.
    Thanks for listening. I?ve been a voyeur on this site for a couple of months. Your stories have been so reassuring and your support of one another gives me hope. I look forward to your (gentle) comments.

Purple Jenny

Jenny,
    I am sure if you have been reading for several months, you now know you are not alone and that your story is not uncommon.

You are welcome here, and I know that you will find much encouragement as you begin this journey. I wish you all the luck, and I am glad you have many of the supplements already as you are starting. Do you have the book? Are you considering Topamax? The Topamax probably helps me the most; that and just knowing I can come here and that I am not alone. Before I found this site, I honestly laid in bed at night and wondering if I was the only "professional" woman so to speak, married with kids and leading a seemingly normal life on the outside, who secretly struggled with this. I found out that this is so much more common than I had ever imagined, but I think women are just much more reluctant to talk about it. I hope you find all the support and encouragement here that you need!

Good luck, and welcome!

Allie

Comment

searching for re assurance

testing - finding it difficult to register but have things to say!

Comment

searching for reassurance

IT Skills as good as ever!
        I agree with last post - holding down a job and giving appearance of being ok does not = being healthy.

Just started myself and feel bennefits of this site - did not like the AA mantra of 'having to hit rock bottom'. Never went as didn't hit bottom - albeit this could be argued - social embaresment, wife /cleaner finding stash empties/ eldest son making comment. Realy want to do better as have lot to live for good home, job and loving family versus a 12 pack every night! Good luck and keep reading the posts, it has helped me sofa day 3.

Comment

HI

Hi there

Was really moved by you story, I am an alcoholic Who has fallen off her wagon ,the ride was a bit bumby!!Please read more of the postings on this site to discover that you are not on your own these people have helped me over a very short period to see my doc and buy the book ,that has to be a positive move. please remember no matter where you are now there is always a way out you just have to find it , I dont even know if this is for me but I will try anything and the people here are very supportive and its the most positive thing I have done in months . If you need to chat I will be here for a while if not good luck mate in this nightmare world but believe me there is hope I did 14 mths sober 10 mths ago its the best thing in the world to wake up sober not shakeing not even thinking about the next drink Good luck and best wishes

Whitestar

Comment

Hi

Hi Purple Jenny, Love the name! Welcome aboard... Your story sounds quite familiar to me! It sure is refreshing to wake up in the morning & not have the feeling of "dread" hangin over..."Is today gonna be different? Or am I gonna just screw up again...& then lay awake all night and worry about it again..."
            Vicious cycle, from H---! Been there way too many times! I know , that's how it was for me for soooo long.
            Not in the past few months tho... since I've been here.
            So far, so good.
            Good luck & g-night....Hugs...Judie

Comment

Re: Hi

Hi Jenny,

I can really relate to your story. I especially understand the dread of the coffee being served when you still want wine. I don't know why that stuck out from your post, but it did. Weird though. Now, it doesn't bother me to sit in a bar and drink coffee with my husband and drink coffee while he and 50 other people are drinking wine and beer. I love to watch people and I see it as an opportunity to see poeple as so many probably saw me.

I am only now discovering my depression. Been drowing it so long with alcohol. You are in the right place. Start the program, give it time. Don't rush it. This is my 7th month.

Hugs,
              Nina

Comment

Re: Hi

Jenny
                welcome

Hope youre feeling good , enjoying some luscious uninterupted sober sleep........ How is it going so far?

I see myself in your story quite abit!! I started asking myself these things on a regular basis:

Can I stand myself?

Where exactly did I veer so out of alignment with who I truly am? Does it matter when it was or why it was?

How did I become so stuck and start living with that nagging feeling of not living optimally?

What would my friends , colleagues think , if they knew I had thrown up the $100+ dinner? (boy the conversation was great and so was the food!) but I just had to WAY over do the wine, didnt I? (again) and ........ next day , does mommy have a touch of the stomach flu?, or ....... "eveyone needs to be quiet because mommy has a migraine again!!!!!"

I remember seeing a therapist about the question of alcohol when my first child was small, and I said "Well I won't be drinking because I am going to get pregnant with a second child now,....so that will be that , right???"
                And she said, well ......... no....... "It will come baaaaaaaaaack! I remember the sing-songy tone in her voice --still (this was 5 years ago) She also said it would get worse. Well she was right. After I weaned the baby and the stresses of being a professional mother of two,....etc etc........ Alcohol, came back....and it just worked. Too well.

She said the nature of it is to progress. Why? I dont know. The genetics are there for me too. 3 of my 4 grand parents and a whole bunch of aunts and uncles and my only brother and and alot of cousins have been alcoholics. (Mostly all vociferous teetotallers now)

Neither of my parents are alcoholics. Interesting. Maybe thats why it snuck up on me . But what matters is that I solve it for me. And you solve it for you..........

and this solution is working! I sincerely hope it works for you too!

Let us know how it goes!

Comment

bizzare weekend

It made such a difference to be able to read all your generous and heartfelt comments throughout the weekend. Thank you.

My plan was to start on 3/11 so my last hurrah was Friday night. I had what was left of the beer in the fridge (it takes up the space most people use to store produce-- for some reason it feels so good to note that as I know already there will be some other soul out there who also cannot fit fruit in the fridge b/c the beer is in the way).. I asked my husband to bring home the wine we usually save for company-- this was a special occasion after all. I really just wanted to be left alone to drink as much as I wanted to without any responsibilities. I opened the wine and dialed my mother's number. I was not drunk yet and I wanted to touch base with her b/c my (dead) father's birthday was the following day... As usual for me, I had not eaten dinner before I started drinking so it did not take long before I was sharing more with my mom than I had originally intended. Sometimes this is good, sometimes not. We have a complex relationship. Long and short-- I read her 'my story'. She was pretty taken aback and more supportive than I would have thought. I should have left it at that and gone to bed.
                  Instead, after saying goodbye to my mother I became very drunkenly emotional ( which is not the same as regular emotional) and I'm not exactly sure how it started but I ended up in a terrible fight with my husband in front of our 2 young kids. I told him I hated him, I did not want to be married to him... What my kids were most upset about was that I told daddy to 'shut up', twice! Very bad stuff in our house.
                  Seems funny to me, in a not funny way that I had posted earlier the same night that my excessive drinking had never affected my children. On my last night of overdrinking (oh I really hope) it definitely had. I think this is the right time for me to find my way out of this mess.
                  I do feel a kinship with so many of you already and will be thinking of you as I sleep soundly on day 2. The best to all of you and thanks for reading

Comment

Re: bizzare weekend

Oh Dear Jen,
                    Sound's like a rotten night.. hope you're all feeling better.

When I'd made up my mind to stop.. I also had a huge sort of backlash.. Where I come from I've heard it called 'the rubber band effect' .. It hit's harder because you tried to get away from it and it SNAPS back at you.

For me personallly, I've discovered it's caused by the underlying fear of what I will have to deal with when I stop. The reality is there are things I have not faced up to in my life, although I have tried. I have used wine as a way of distracting myself and keeping myself in a good humour, often in difficult situations.

I have realised I am not ready to tackle this drinking thing head-on until I'm clear about what's upsetting me so much when I'm sober.

Let me be clear: I will continue to try and self-educate but not pressure myself to be abstinent unless I feel ready, because I can't handle the SNAP.

This is me and not you whatsoever.. only my own reflections.
                    Hope it might have been helpful?

There are plenty of other people on these boards happily abstinent and/or happily moderating. It's a mixed bag, so read on and enjoy.

Welcome to the boards and wishing you all the best
                    MFM

Comment

thoughts

MFM,

Thanks for your response. I can understand why you are doing it the way you are. It makes sense and probably allows for a better chance at long term success with this.

It's Tuesday so I've had 4 days to think about Friday night's fiasco. I wonder if I subconsciously acted so badly on my 'last night of unhealthy drinking' to motivate me. Sounds ludicrous as I read it back but it just may have some truth to it. I'll have to think about it some more. I certainly have tons of clearheaded time now and that is very cool.

Have a great day MFM.

Comment

vida21-- can we talk?

Vida-- Your experience sounds so incredible and exactly what my goal is. I'm on day 6 and doing it all by the book, not skimping on a thing-- I really want this to reboot my brain so I can go back to where I was.
                        Do you really find yourself uninterested in having more than one glass of wine? How does that go? Do you sip it all night? Do you get a buzz? What kind of messages did you'plant' in your head during the hypnotic c.d.? I have so many more questions... can I ask them... I am so happy for you . It gives us something to fight for.

Comment

how are you doing?

Purple Jenny,
                          How are you doing? Are you taking the topa and vitamins and doing all aspects of the program? Please update us on your progress. Your Friday night last Hurrah sounded so sad I am hoping that you are doing well.

Comment

much better thanks

rainyday--

Thank you for your thoughtfulness. The last hurrah was indeed a very sour experience. It seems like last Friday was longer than 7 days ago. I am doing the program 'by the book'- I have all the cds on the ipod, the granny sized pill box and the topomax (still on the 25mg-- i guess I'll up it tomorrow). I can honestly say tonight ( before my husband called to say he would be 3 hours late coming home from work) was the first night that i really did FORGET to want a drink. Amazing. Two or Three days ago while reading these posts I truly wondered if I could get to the point of forgetting as others had described. It is working for me. I know it is only a week. I am a realistic person, but hopeful and determined... Thank you so much for checking in. I am off to bed. I will fall asleep to the hypnotic cd- as I did not have time to do it today. I hope all is well with you..

Comment

your Hurrah turned into a Hurray!!

So glad to hear it, I too am having great success with the program and feel like if I say it out loud it might just all shatter. I have gone to 50 mgs of Topa and will continue to move up as needed but I either have no desire to drink or if I have a glass I drink it so slowly it lasts me all night. I feel like I have been set free...
                              Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X