• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quinoa for breakfast

Drizzle honey on top
    Slice banana (or your favorite fruit) on top
    Add some vanilla soymilk
    Sprinkle some cinnamon on top
    The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Quinoa for breakfast

weird - I just posted a thread in Subs about quinoa before I saw this. I started a quinoa thread months ago that got lots of people into it.

I have it for breakfast with chopped spinach and olive oil. I haven't tried it like this yet, as I'm not a sweets-in-the-morning kind of gal -but I might do it just for fun!

Btw - if you do 2 parts water to 1 part quinoa, there will be no need to drain it. All water will be absorbed. I'd be concerned about draining away nutrients...

And I have to tell you - I haven't had quinoa for 2 weeeks as I've been trying to do a carb-free diet. And in the last week I've had WICKED alcohol cravings, and have become "depressed." I'll never give up my beloved quinoa ever again!!!
    FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

Quinoa for breakfast

This sounds like a fab idea. I'd been
      reluctant to try quinoa thinking it
      sounds too "wholesome" but with
      the honey and soymilk...Yumbo!
      Thanks for the tip. Pan

Comment

Quinoa for breakfast

MYown--You're the one! I love the taste and texture of quinoa. Thanks for the info on draining it. I was too lazy to measure anything out!! I've looked up all kinds of recipes, and now I gotta go buy some more. Now that I know I like it, I might order it from Amazon.
        The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Quinoa for breakfast

Quinoa question:

What is the easiest way to rinse the quinoa prior to cooking? It is too small for a strainer. I have just been putting it in the measuring cup and then running water over it and draining it through my fingers but I lose a lot of it and there must be a better way.

Thanks

Comment

Quinoa for breakfast

I put in a big bowl and pour water in the bowl and swirl it around with my fingers and then drain it and repeat until the water is clear. It is okay if you don't get every bit of water off of it, but if you want to drain you need a fine mesh strainer, not a regular strainer.
            I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Quinoa for breakfast

I put a cup of quinoa in a fine mesh strainer and run water over it for about a minute.
              There are also 'no need to rinse' quinoas out there too, but I ain't goin for it.
              FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

Quinoa for breakfast

I guess I need to get a fine mesh strainer. More clutter for the kitchen.

Comment

Quinoa for breakfast

I haven't had quinoa for 2 weeeks as I've been trying to do a carb-free diet.

I don't think complex carbs are an issue. It things like sugar a high fructose corn syrup that give carbs a bad reputation.

Comment

Quinoa for breakfast

Hi Everyone.

RJ actually warns AGAINST a carb free diet (like Atkins). You don't get any B vitamins which are essential to mood (and other health). It's the simple carbs that pose a problem. Anything with a high "glycemic index".

Haven't tried quinoa. I'm fascinated. Will buy some tomorrow.
                    Anything I can Believe, I can Achieve!

Comment

Quinoa for breakfast

Believer, perhaps you were just generalizing but I just wanted to point out for those not familiar with it that Atkins is not a carb free diet. the induction phase (first two weeks) limits carbs to 20 grams per day to kick start the system, then you find your daily carb intake level from there by gradually adding carbs from good sources (veggies mostly).
                      Agreed that the simple carbs are the problem primarily.
                      if someone recommends a diet with no carbs then they are seriously deranged!!!
                      MOW, thanks for the tip...I've also been concerned about draining off the nutrients with the water.

I found some black quinoa on ebay and it's awesome. looks really neat too.
                      nosce te ipsum
                      (Know Thyself)

Comment

Working...
                      X