Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am coming to terms with my alcoholism

Hi guys,

I am an alcoholic. I drink every night, and I get trashed. My weakness is merlot. I have been doing this most nights for about three years now. I initially was self-medicating because my finace was dying. Now, I have no excuse, and I'm just continuing to do it out of habit, need, and the progression of alcoholism. I am not opposed to AA, but I have been interested in meds ever since I knew I needed help. I am a nursing student, but taking a break from school because a DUI impaired my ability to drive to my clinicals, destroyed my relationship with my brother, and I feel now I am sick and in need of serious help. Help for alcoholism, depression, the works. Tell me of your success stories. My Way Out sounds wonderful to me, and if I were to combine it with therapy and AA, I think it would be great. I have always been interested in nutrition and believe good nutrition and exercise have the power to heal us of so many things. Give me a shout out and tell me how this has worked for you!!

coming to terms

Hi Asjen, I'm Judie, I'm an alky also. Sounds like you've been thru a lot. Also sounds like we have a lot in common ...
    All of of my life I've been pretty healthy,lots of exercise & vegi diet..... All except for the drugs & alcohol part.(heavy drinker for about 30 yrs)
    Right now, I'm on day 12 of this March Mad. abstinence thing, doing pretty good w/that, suprisingly. Also have been to a couple of AA meetings as well the past 2 wks, and plan to go tomorro nite. I'm doing Topa, lots of exercise, supps, and meditations, as well as quite a bit of time on these boards. So far, so good!
    Been at this(at least seriously) for about 2 mo. Feelin good. Good luck & Welcome! Hugs Judie

Comment

Thanks!!

Hi Judie!

I just read the online pdf format book and just purchased the cd's, the sup's, and am really looking forward to going back to the gym. We have a gym membership I don't use because I am always too hung over. But not today, I didn't drink at all last night. Which I am trying to decide if it's a good or bad thing. I feel a little edgy today. I have an appointment with my physician on Wednesday morning for the script for topa. I have an appointment on Thursday with the university therapist where I go to school. So, wish me luck! I need all the support I can get! I am really looking forward to doing this. I am so excited. I am stuck in tis house all day because of my DUI so this is the right thing for me to do right now. I feel like for the first time in a really long time I've got something to live for.

~Jamie

P.S. I am not sure if I can go to the gym yet because I have a large bruise on my arm that I got when I was stumbling around here drunk. For heaven's sakes!! This happens a lot.

Comment

Re: Thanks!!

Regarding bruises:

I have them a lot, part of what drove me to this program. I used to cancel appointments with my massage therapist because I didn't want her to think my husband beat me.....

Comment

Depression & Drinking

I'm new to this as well - like asjen, I too have the extra issue of suffering with depression. I'm 28 years old and have just come of anti depressants which I was on after the death of my best friend. At the moment things are a bit of a mess, and while I'd love to be able to relax with a drink or 2 , because I'm always so sad and angry I can never stop - I like to drink myself into oblivion! Unfortuantely the following day things are so much worse as the alcohol exacerbates the depression and I usually spend my weekends in bed sulking over whatever I've done while drunk! It's a vicious circle when depression is involved I find. I haven't had a drink now for the past 3 weeks, and have been off the anti depressants for about 6, but there are days when my tongue is hanging out for a glass of rose!! Is there any one else out there that suffers from depression and has issues with alcohol?

Comment

Depression

Hi there,

We are about the same age! I am 29. I have always had depression, since I was probably about 8 years old, so that's initially why I began drinking. It was because of depression. And then it just spiraled out of control. I suggest you possibly going back on the antidepressants? I know a lot of people try to lick depression by other means, but I am a believer in the meds. That's just me, though. I imagine you could try hypnotherapy for depression too! Im thinking about doing that myself! I was going to look into it today. Anyway, I have a big time counseling appointment on thursday to get some help and some scripts. I'm going to try to get wellbutrin for depression and smoking cessation, and then the med they reccomend on this site for alcohol addiction, topamax. I think this program, if done the way they say to do it, can really work. I know it's for alcohol, but imagine how much better we will feel mentally after doing this program and not drinking. Used in combination with an antidepressant--- it could really be our way out of the depression and drinking. Have you been doing the program, or are you going to start? I just ordered all my stuff yesterday. I should be starting the program next week, when I've got the meds and the cd's and the supplements. I downloaded and read the book in pdf format yesterday. Have you done that yet? I think you can make it. If you are able to get out of your house and drive, that's a start. I'm stuck in my house because of my DUI for the next two months, so I am really struggling with depression and drinking because of that. I live in a tiny town without a bus system. But, it's only two more months, and I will survive in the end. And, you will too!!

Comment

Hi - I need help and just found this website - I've been drinking very heavily since my sister and best friend got cancer - and she passed away - but I haven't been able to stop drinking - I need help.........I'm desperate.........I need to talk to someone.......soon - before I have a heart attack and die too..........
              R U there?

Comment

alcoholism

Hi there,

You can talk to me. I began my serious drinking three years ago when my fiance was dying. I know what it means to self-medicate this way. After my fiance died and I found a new, wonderful man, I still continued to drink myself into oblivion. And I am still doing it. I was genetically predispositioned to developing alcoholism, so I should have never taken that first drink, but I did.

I just prdered all of the products yesterday, and downloaded the book and read it. I think this program will work! Are you thinking about trying it??

Until then, try an antidepressant and a counselor to help you with grief. I never had a grief counselor, I've never had any good help until now. A lot of times people will drink after a loved one has died or while they are ill. The scary thing is when you can't stop.

Maybe we can do this program together!!!

Comment

Working...
                X