Health Recovery Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Health Recovery Center

Has anyone ever been through the Health Recovery Center programme in Minneapolis? (Run by the person who wrote Seven weeks to Sobriety).

If so, what is the feedback?
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Health Recovery Center

No beatle I haven't. But I do live in the area so would be interested in more information. I haven't read that book yet, maybe I should pick it up!

Bumping back up to the top so it can get more looks!

*Bambi
    "When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable." -- Walt Disney

Comment

Health Recovery Center

Hey, Beetle, I have heard of the book, but did not pay much attention to it until now. Wow! Their website if full of information! It even has a self test to take to determine what type of alcoholic you are. Very, interesting that there are different body chemistry's and therefore different supps needed for each.

This program seems to be similar to MWO in that it takes a nutritional approach, but their program seems to take it to a higher level.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

Kate
      A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Health Recovery Center

The book is great and has been a tremendous help to me. HIGHLY recommended.

I am actually considering going there (6 week programme) but don't know anyone who has-- and what's it like. I just know it's outpatient and definitely not 12-step... very focussed on nutrition and brain chemistry, but also a lot of counseling involved. 6-week programme in afternoons and evenings...

Bambi, maybe you could stop by their office and check it out!
        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

Health Recovery Center

p.s.
          web site:

Alcoholism & mental health treatment through biochemical restoration / repair

Comment

Health Recovery Center

I read that book a couple years ago. I tried to do the program by myself with as many of the supps as I could afford or find which wasnt that many and it made a big difference. You can order the formulas off the site. Maybe I'll try it again since I am in better financial shape now. I had forgotten about it. bird

Comment

Health Recovery Center

Beatle, thank you so much for that web address. There is a wealth of info out there!

I sent the info to a friend of mind who doesn't drink, but suffers from anxiety really bad. I hope this can help her.

I really appreciate you taking the time to put this out there.

Love, Me
              :l
              Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

Health Recovery Center

Apparently, they do lots of testing if you go into the six-week programme, to determine your exact chemistry and needs. They don't ignore the psychological/spiritual dimension by any means, but I think the idea is to first correct your chemistry, then work on the rest of the picture. Or at least to work on them at the same time.

I am AF now, but I've had so many slips, and bad ones, that I feel ready to approach this in a long-term way-- NOT one day at a time. I want to fix myself, not just control myself.

Comment

Health Recovery Center

Same hypoglycemia info

Joan Larson, the founder of this center, was the person quoted in the book on natural healing I was reading the other day (incidentlally, it's called The Most Effective Natural Cures on Earth by Jonny Bowden. not just about AL but lots of health issues of course) I read her book, 7 Weeks to Sobriety, many years ago and it was over whelming with all the supps. I think it was one of the ones RJ referred to in formulating MWO. Anyway, Beatle, thanks for the link, and your post is rather timely, because I was going to check out he book again, now that I am a little more versed and comfortable with supps due to MWO.

CS

Comment

Health Recovery Center

CS04,

I tried to do the supp regime in "7 weeks to sbriety"-- at first it seemed overwhelming, but when you buy the supps from the site (and it's a good bargain when you get the whole package), it comes with an easy-to-follow schedule and after a few days it is actually quite simple.

Since the initial package, I have tailored my supplemental regime quite a bit to meet my particular needs, and I use quite a few MWO supps, but the first detox kit from "7 weeks" was great and really not difficult to follow.

I recommend it for detoxing because it will make the detox much better (healthwise) and much easier on you personally, in terms of withdrawal, cravings, emotional stability, etc.

Comment

Health Recovery Center

Thanks Beatle

Beatle,
                      I just posted in "just starting out" and couldn't remember who had sent the link to the HRC, so thank you to you, Beatle! (read my post there; i'm having a crappy day, unfortunately.)

Last week Ifelt better on the MWO supps. This week I am really up and down.

Must make this short now. I tried to get 7 Weeks from the library but got stuck yesterday; will try again. Thanks for your help.

CS

Comment

Health Recovery Center

Glutamine

Is there a difference between "L-Glutamine" and "Glutamine"? Many of the supps (or is it amino acids?) are prefixed with an L. What does that mean? I am going to stop by Wild Oats tomorrow; I called then and they have both the glut and GABA. Trader Joes does not carry them.

Thanks for any info.
                        CS

Comment

Health Recovery Center

I think they are the same. But Glutamic Acid is definitely different. You should post this question as a separate thread though.

BTW, CS04
                          I think you are smart to be wary of ADs. First of all, they take a couple weeks to kick in, and in the meantime, everything gets worse. Secondly, there is no evidence that they help any more than many more natural medications, like lithium oratate, for example. Thirdly, they mess you up, no matter what, you will get addicted and have to get off of them at some point. And lastly, many people have an increased desire to drink when on ADs, --many people on this forum who have taken them say so anyway. And they don't work if you are drinking. So go figure. This is just my personal opinion (also based on personal experience and lots of research), though, and that sad, I know some people who have been immensely helped by ADs.

Comment

Working...
                          X