5 HTP for Dysthemia/Depression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the health food store they recommended 5 htp for depression. I'm AF for 11 days now, and feeling all the feelings alcohol was taking away. SOOO does anyone know if I take this during the day instead of just in the evening will I just fall asleep. They say at nite for insomnia, but 3x a day for depression.
    I always dream of a pill that can solve everything!
    I saw earlier threads but it doesn't answer this specific question.
    (Today is not so miserable)
    Thanks all,
    Lila

Lila ~ good question. I think it depends on the person as meds and supps work a little different for us all.

I take 5-HTP at night. Sometimes it makes me sleepy, sometimes not. As far as taking it during the day, I would try taking when you know you don't have to go any where. See how it works in your body.

Another thing you could try is Omega Fish Oil. It is very good for your heart and it helps with depression. My mood improve greatly when I started taking this. I take only one a day (after my largest meal of the day). To my knowledge fish oil has no side effects.

Good luck. I hope this helps.

Love, Me
    :l
    Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

Maybe I'll try that too.
      Thanks!
      Lila

Comment

Hello Lila - I have been taking 5HTP religiously for over 4 years. I started it as a way to get off of prescribed depression meds. As far as curbing my drinking, it didn't help much there (my habit is bigger than that, i'm thinking), but it helps me control my weight a bit and I haven't taken depression meds in 4 yrs. I take it every morning with juice. As long as you don't eat protein 2 hours before/after taking it, you won't get sleepy during the day. I learned this by reading a couple books on 5HTP and it's uses. Hope it helps..

Comment

Thankful;324488 wrote: Lila ~ good question. I think it depends on the person as meds and supps work a little different for us all.

I take 5-HTP at night. Sometimes it makes me sleepy, sometimes not. As far as taking it during the day, I would try taking when you know you don't have to go any where. See how it works in your body.

Another thing you could try is Omega Fish Oil. It is very good for your heart and it helps with depression. My mood improve greatly when I started taking this. I take only one a day (after my largest meal of the day). To my knowledge fish oil has no side effects.

Good luck. I hope this helps.

Love, Me
          :l
          Fish oil thins the blood and must be stopped 2 weeks prior to surgery for this reason. Alcohol also thins the blood so this can be a problem for some of us : ( I would not recommend this supplement for anyone that bruises easily, otherswise it's great and highly recommended by many.
          Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
          - George Jackson

Comment

Thanks for responding cmceereza and mhidiw, I didn't know that about the 2 hour protein thing. I just had coffee with cream, so I have to wait 2 hours???
            I will try to locate some of those 5htp books.
            Lila

Comment

I don't know about the 2 hours, but I know protien knocks it out. A little fruit is good to go with. I always have apricots or raisins around in case I run out of fresh fruit. Also check into taking anything in the same time zone as caffeine. It destroys many supps.
              sigpic
              Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Thanks Greeneyes
                this is good information. How long is the caffeine zone? I have about 3 cups in the morning with cream. Maybe fish oil too, or any omega 3. I have always had dysthemia and bouts of depression.
                All these supplements - too many and I forget to take them! And what brand does everyone recommend? Theres a store that sells NOW products buy 1 second half price. Right now I'm taking Natures Way 5htp 50 mgs 3 x day. It is hard to know what works becasue my moods go all over the place, and I have 21 days now, so that must be doing something.
                But I will hopefullly never take zoloft again becasue I had the worst time going off it, even tho I did taper.
                Lila

Comment

I take NOW 5-htp in morning and at night, also with GABA and St. John's Wort, and have been depression free for the months I've been consistent with this. I don't notice being sleepy in the morning from taking it - I surely have more energy than I do when I'm depressed.
                  It has also been a huge help with my drinking.
                  FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

Did you mix it with food or coffee?

Comment

I take it about 30-60 minutes before I have breakfast, but with coffee (can't wait that long in the morn to have coffee!).

Comment

One more question...what is the dosages you take? I saw the Mir Food thread, too. maybe I will try quinoa, too.

Comment

Oh, do try quinoa!!
                          I take 100 mg 5htp in morning, and usually 200 before bed.

Comment

Thanks for writing back!!! I was just reading the Mir. Food thread, (it is a lot to read) and I'm going to the coop now to buy some.
                            Lila

Comment

Depression meds

I have been pretty depressed now for about 6 months. Have been on Topa and supps for about 3 weeks, been seeing a therapist but will see a psych for 1st time next Fri....and sure she will want to put me on ADs. I am in serious financial crunch right now and not sure if I will be able continue with any or all of the supps, meds or even a new script for AD. Not sure what to do or why I am even posting this. So confused. Drank all weekend but was AF yesterday and plan to be tonight as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X