Alcohol and hypoglycemia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alcohol and hypoglycemia

I was reading a book at the library on natural healing, and the chapter on alcoholism said that the two problems are essentially identical. I know the sugar connection with AL, but does anyone know much about hypoglycemia? I also know that we are supposed to stay away from sugar when doing the program, which I have been doing, but I have not been AF either -- although drinking less.

Thanks,
    CS

Alcohol and hypoglycemia

Hi CS04,

There have been a couple of threads about this:

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...mia-20436.html
    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...ing-14787.html

Hope they help

Wooflet

Comment

Alcohol and hypoglycemia

Wooflet--
      Thanks -- now I feel like I need to do chemistry research. I do like to be thorough.....

CS

Comment

Alcohol and hypoglycemia

I like being thorough too CS, only my friends say I'm being anal

Comment

Alcohol and hypoglycemia

I recently read another thread stating alcohol raises blood sugar levels. Which is it high blood sugar or low blood sugar, I am really confused. I want an answer to this one because I have high blood sugar.
          Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
          - George Jackson

Comment

Alcohol and hypoglycemia

Alcohol raises blood sugar. Many alchies have hypoglycemia and much like insulin for diabetics, alcohol is a quick fix for when drinkers are not feeling quite right. The key is to find other alternatives such as a healthy snack or a good meal.
            I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Alcohol and hypoglycemia

I've never been big on sweets but was shocked to get a blood test last year showing I'm borderline diabetic. eeeeek! al you bastard.
              nosce te ipsum
              (Know Thyself)

Comment

Alcohol and hypoglycemia

Alcohol, like many simple sugars raises blood sugar levels - gives you a big boost. Afterwards however there is a corresponding 'sugar' crash - which leaves you wanting more.

Moods are linked to blood sugar levels and so are cravings. Stabilising sugar levels should help with cravings or the desire to drink. I have a big thing for chocolate but have been told it could be the very thing to make my AL cravings even worse. So trying to avoid at the moment.

Comment

Alcohol and hypoglycemia

Thank you for this thread. Great information here. I was just diagnosed pre-diabetic, but I have had so much (or created so much ) stress I have really not done aything about it. I felt I was hypogycemic in my 20's. The Atkins diet with NO carbs made me sick. Of course wine is not good..I am going to order the supps as soon as I get paid...I need another month of trying beforeI go back to doc..thank you again for this motivation.
                  "Everything you try to avoid about yourself
                  will keep playing out insidiously in your life.
                  This creates the perfect opportunity for you to embrace,
                  love and heal this part of self."

Comment

Alcohol and hypoglycemia

if we are prediabetic or diabetic then taking the supplement Chromium is very very important. it helps the body regulate sugar/insulin levels and the metabolism of sugar.
                    nosce te ipsum
                    (Know Thyself)

Comment

Alcohol and hypoglycemia

atkins if done properly is a great tool to get your blood sugar under control

Comment

Alcohol and hypoglycemia

this might be helpful

Hello, I have suffered from hypo. for years! I am so happy to know that it was AL related and I would be able to do something about it. For years now I have lived on a constant concern about my diet...and knowing I needed protein all the time at my meals. I found an article in the research section and the post was very insightful. Look under "Alcohol/Healing the Body"
                        Also there is a plethora of information online about hypo. Good luck!
                        flyin

Comment

Alcohol and hypoglycemia

Still confused

Call me stupid, but ok: is hypoglycemia high blood sugar, and diabetes is low blood sugar? (Sorry, but I am feeling really agitated today, and not processing info, or emotions for that matter, like I should.)

Comment

Alcohol and hypoglycemia

CSO4- have you been able to look at the links that were given to you? You will find the answers to your questions alongside so much more info. Hypoglycemia is low blood sugar that spikes then drops below the norm level....and as to not processing info and feeling agitated, they are symptoms of hypoglycemia....please read, it will help you so much!

Comment

Alcohol and hypoglycemia

Thanks

Flyinhigh -- I did check the old threads that Wooflet sent a couple days ago, but have not had a chance to read the research article or do much online reading that you suggested. (Tried to do hypno-CD today, got an error message so it didn't work, and baby wouldn't nap! Thanks for clarifying and I will read up as soon as I can.

CS

Comment

Working...
                              X