Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

half marathon info. No, I have not lost my mind!! yet...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, I have talked with several of you about the changes we are all making throughout this incredible journey toward sobriety and our new "100 dollar" lives. (Allie, you are still famous). I, personally, am going through some extreme highs and lows, punctuated with profound marrital problems. As far as the drinking and my health go, that situation has taken a drastic turn for the better!! I have had 5 drinks in the last 12 days, and those were consumed on 2 occasions (3 one day, 2 another). I have officially lost 5 pounds! I am not bloated. I have not had a hangover in almost 2 weeks. I'm calling the folks at the Guinness Book of World Records!! Just kidding.

What I REALLY did is...get this...registered to run a half marathon on labor day weekend this year.
    NO, I am not a runner.
    NO, I have never done anything like this before.
    YES, I may puke when/if I finish, but I accept that.

Before I started MWO (started tinkering about 3 wks ago, got serious 12 days ago), the longest distance I had ever ran was about 2 miles. I ran 4 miles yesterday. Amazing. Felt great!!!
    Topa dopa? supps? lack of hangover/bloating? alanis morrisette/angry/scorned woman syndrome? don't know, don't care. Something lit a fire under me and I feel like the only way to keep it going is to fully commit to yet another lofty goal.
    Hence: half marathon
    labor day weekend
    Virginia Beach
    It actually looks like a blast!! There is a rock band about every mile, cheerleading squads (Brandy...), it's a flat course run along the boardwalk and finishing along the beach.

Please humor me and check out the website. I have already paid and everything. It's a done deal. I need roomies!!!
    If you register today, you get a free t-shirt.... ooooohhhh...
    ok, I'm done.

here it is:
    www.rnrhalf.com/race_info.html

Becca;

You have convinced me that you are totally NUTS! You have such a strong spirit..Don't forget Lunge one and lunge two. You have come a long way since being here...Good for YOU!

Cyber Hugs!!!!1:eek :lol
    Brandy

Comment

way to go becca!!! there's no stopping you! i think you're fantastic! hope i feel like this after march madness!:rollin jenny

Comment

Ya know Becca.... there are other ways to get free beer other than running 13 miles.... JUST Kidding! I too am going to train for a 5k River run here. I think that's all I can handle!

I am laid up with the flu and fever today.... terrible after feeling on top of the world yesterday, but at least I'm not feeling bad from drinking too much!

You go girl!!

Allie

Comment

I AM NOT NUTS!!!
          Just what they call a tad "mentally unstable" I think. Going to the shrink on Friday for the first time ever. I'm hoping that he will shrink my head enough to squeeze all of the sadness and remorse out. :rolleyes Leave ambition and joy and hope intact. Once again: hence the half-marathon. I have to have that kind of an attainable goal. Don't know why, I just do. Something tangeable, I suppose.
          I bet this looks like I am going too far too fast to some, especially those who don't know me well. I have been trying to cut back (unsuccessfully) with the drinking for several years. I have been ramping up my workouts since last september. Soooo...this is not brand new for me.
          Just wanted to get that out there so you stop thinking I'm NUTS. I already think that!!!! (JK, Brandy, I luv ya)
          lunge one, lunge 13.1 miles
          Becca

Comment

You so are crackin me up!!

I love your strong spirit!
            Brandy

You have to keep your joy and peace intact, that's what makes you a special person! If he tries to mess with the wonderful formula that makes you who you are, tell him alot of people will be SHRINKING HIM!!!

:lol

Comment

Allie;

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Brandy

Comment

This is going back up near the top cuz I said so. Lilly, I haven't heard from you yet! I'll let it die after this... maybe...
                Bec

Comment

Becca;

You can't stop now! Between you and Judie, I've had some strong laughter emerge from my body, and I surprised myself. It's been what seems like forever since I enjoyed a good hearty laughing fit!

:lol
                  Brandy

Comment

Not the responses I was looking for you people...
                    OK, I'll let it go for a while. Maybe I'll resurface it every month or so, just to get a rise out of some newbies or something. The run is not until september after all...perhaps someone might yet join me in my quest to pull several muscles simultaneously beyond all recognition.
                    I just don't understand you "problem drinkers"
                    A ha ha ha ha ha!!:rollin :rollin
                    (I didn't hit the gym today, feelin too blue earlier) Gotta get back on track tomorrow.
                    luv
                    Bec

Comment

Ok, becca, I might be there....but they do have an event in San Diego as well... I'll be thinking about it! Gina

Comment

whoooo hooooo!! yay Gina!!!!
                        (no pressure or anything, huh?)
                        Hey, I tried to send you an ez msg, but the server said I can only send 5 per day. the nerve! I must be talking WAY too much. Is everyone else on the board going "yeah, becca, shut your dang mou...fingers"
                        anyway, I'll try tomorrow, or maybe get in chat tonite so I can blab away
                        bec

Comment

marathon

Rebecca - I so admire you for comitting to this marathon - I would join you if I still lived in Philadelphia. My sister used to live in Virginia Beach and I would love to drive over the Chesapeake tunnel /bridge to visit her. It's beautiful! Anyhow, I have lived in the midwest for 13 years and still hate it. (no ocean for 1200 miles) I hate being away from the east coast and my sisters, parents cousins, etc. In my sober moments, a feeling of sadness about all of that comes over me (it happened yesterday).

I realize that I've been drowning feeling like this with booze the whole time I've lived here. I need to figure out a way to look at the positives of living here and stop resenting my husband for not looking for a job out east. I know there are alot of people that live in isolated areas or away from family - how do you deal with it. Thanks! Good luck with training.

Comment

Re: marathon

Hey Maria,
                            It's interesting that you should mention the lonliness. I do have family a few hours away from here (they are in Ontario, I am in Ohio, it is about a 3 hr drive). I still feel that with this drinking problem of mine, even though my parents, sister, in-laws, friends say that they support me and are proud of me, I do still feel a sense of lonliness. I think it's because of the inner struggle. My mother in law keeps saying "I totally support you, nice job, you're doing great, etc, etc... but *I* don't have that *problem*" MAN. That grinds on my nerves like nails on a chalkboard.
                            As far as the midwest goes, I grew up in Canada, and have lived in MI, OH, and IN, so I don't know any better!! The coast is strictly vacation country for me!! You are lucky that you were able to experience it as a place to live. What great memories you must have. I see how you can miss it. Do you get a chance to visit? Vacation? For me, I miss Canada too, but I just hold on to my memories of growing up there and look forward to each time I get to visit (which, thankfully, is often). In the meantime, I am trying to see more and more of the every day joys that I was fogging out with my bottles of wine!! It's going better... still struggles...keeping my eyes on Virginia Beach!
                            Thanks for the post. If your plans change, let me know! I can always use an extra cheerleader!!
                            luv
                            Becca

Comment

Re: marathon

Becca,
                              I signed up for my first TRIATHALON back in december when I first joined MWO.

Here it is March already and I have been running , biking (twice) and not swimming at all! I am not really a swimmer. It has been raining and cold and any way the triathalon in a "short" one, HA......and it is in May,
                              (the month I turn 40) so I better get with it. YIKESSSSSS!

My goal is just to do a little every day.
                              tonight after work I think I am going to try one of those "spin" classes.

I am glad to hear I am not the only nutball on this board!
                              :b :b

Comment

Working...
                              X