How do you make that first step?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, I'm new here. I would really appreciate some feedback from anyone on how to STOP even for just a few days to get a clear head and start moving forward (i.e. take control of my drinking forever??!!!! ? wow wouldn?t that be fantastic!!!)

I found this site yesterday after surfing for months on and off trying to find a solution to my 20 years of problem drinking (I'm 34). I have read some of your stories and have cried and laughed ? I see myself in so many and it is a revelation that there are other women out there like me!!! I am from the UK and have one child (my little boy is the only thing keeping me going, but I am so afraid of f*#%ing his life up if I carry on the way I am). I work part time and really enjoy my job, even though I skate on thin ice every day ? hangovers, amnesia, permanently tired, how long will it be before someone finds me out?
    I have been drinking at least one bottle of wine a day for the last 10 years; at my worst it has been 3 bottles. At best I can restrain myself to one. Always in the evening after everything that needed doing was done. These days it?s creeping up to two more often than not and it is wrecking my life. My relationship is suffering, we argue constantly ? often about my drinking. I so desperately want a clear head so I can work out if it is just my drinking that is the problem, or if there are other issues in our relationship. I have tried so many times to cut down or stop and yet I wake up every morning feeling cr#p and ashamed and trying to remember what I said /did. The only time in my life that I have ever managed to stop is when I was pregnant. Right now, even though I really do want to stop feeling this way, I can?t seem to stop myself from buying that bottle of wine. How do I do it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated ? many of you seem to be doing really well ? I would love to follow in your footsteps!!
    Thanks, L

hi L! i'm from the uk too! i've been drinking bottle after bottle of wine for the last three years to numb the boringness of my life! :lol i'm a single mum of 4 and i've used this as an excuse for my depression and drinking,i was drinking between 1-2 bottles a day and was forgetting whole telephone conversations and tv programmes! i haven't had a drink for 7 days now and although i'm getting anxiety and cravings i'm feeling really good! i couldn't do it without the support of everyone on this site though! they are a great bunch!i don't have the book but i've managed to get all the supps ,some from holland and barratt,some online ,i even got my kudzu and gaba from ebay!the post came this morning with my topa and i can't wait to try that ! i don't want to abstain from alcohol forever but doing the march madness is a great way for me to get the alcohol out of my system for a while and hopefully,eventually i'll be able to have the odd glass of wine without having to finish the bottle and the next and so on!!!:lol thats my aim anyway! nice to see more brits on here,i think its me,madison may and lushliar and tracey is from dublin! anyway keep posting and there are usually a few people in the chat room in the evening! take care jenny

Comment

how do you make that first step

Hi Lulu
      You have made that first step by coming onto this site. You will get loads of help here, everyone is in the same boat, and offer helpful advice, support and friendship. I am based in the UK, and have had a problem for many years, drinking 2 bottles a night. I am doing the March Madness programme and I am on day 6 the longest period of not drinking for many years, I can't even remember the last time. I personally have found making this commitment to abstinence for March has helped concentrate my mind to making the effort. The checking in every day has also helped. As Jenny said there are a few Brits on site, but even so the Americans and Aussies also give a lot of support. Good luck, go for it, why not join the March Madness, it doesn't matter if you join now, and least you have another 25 days to try abstinence.
      Mary

Comment

Re: how do you make that first step

Hey Lulu!
        You DID make the first step! It takes a bit to get a grip on this program, understand all the components, etc., but you will find instant support. The UK bunch does seem to be a closely knit crowd, so that's nice, as far as obtaining supps, meds, etc. As far as support and life experiences, heck, a lot of us are very similar even if we are halfway across the world!!
        Great to have you. You sound like you are ready to make the change and I am happy for you. It feels great to admit it and believe there is hope. There is!
        Stay close,
        Becca

Comment

how do you make that first step?

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for being so supportive, I didn?t expect such quick responses!

Jenny I know what you mean about forgetting things, when I was a t my worst I used to hole up at home watch videos and drink. There were many times when I realised half way through the film that I had rented it a week or two before. How sad is that?!

I have tried to stop recently, but got such bad anxiety and horrible thoughts/nightmares all night. The next day I felt worse than any hangover I?d ever had. So, I hope you don?t think I?m making excuses but I have set myself this Thursday as the day I will really try in earnest to quit, I will be on holiday for ten days from then. I just know that I will fail every time because of work, childcare and husband care ? trying to give up with all that on my plate is just too much. But if I do it on holiday with (hopefully) some support from my hubby and no work pressures I think I have a better chance of succeeding. If I manage it I hope the mental clarity and strength will come back and I will probably buy the book and the supplements on this site and keep chatting with you guys cause you are so supportive. Wish me luck!

And good luck to all of you on the March Madness mission!!!

Lx

Comment

Just started still drinking!

I finally took my first topromax yesterday. I've had the book, tapes and supplements for months just kept putting it off. Too scared to actually try the topromax! Still had my wine last night without any awefull effects. At least it was only one bottle instead of two. If my husband hadn't been in such a mood I probably would have stopped at 2 glasses. He thinks that one pill will stop year of abuse. I hope to stay in contact more often, I think the support has got to help. Anyone out there seeing a shrink too?

Comment

Working...
            X