Probably too early, but paradoxical results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been been on Topamax for 5 days now at the lowest level of 25 mg each afternoon. It does not make me want to stop drinking, nor does it prevent a buzz. In fact it seems to do the opposite: it gets me high faster. A single glass of wine will do it where it did nothing before. I still have about a 1.5 liter bottle a night, but instead of remaining awake, I'm sound asleep in bed by 8:30 pm. I do sleep soundly all night and wake up refreshed at 7:00 in the mornings. No hangovers. But then I seldom get hangovers.

Unfortunately, the supplements haven't arrived yet. I understand there's a delay with the kudzu. So maybe when I up the Topa and get the kudzu things will change.

I also tried the hypno tapes. Hard to find a quiet place to listen to them, and when I do, I'm inevitably interrupted. Unfortunately, the subliminal tapes make me a bit edgy. Reason is the sound of gurgling water. I do a lot of sailing with my wife and another couple in the Bahamas and Carribean, often involving long night passages. When not on watch, the sound of water passing by the hull just outside my bunk is very similar to the gurgling water on the tape. Since something amiss always seems to happen in the middle of the night when I'm off watch that causes the helmsman to yell "all hands on deck!" I'm never totally relaxed with the background sound of rushing water.

That's my experience so far.

Cheers,

Mike

Sorry Mike...
    something about the "gurgling water" sounds just made me crack up. That and being interrupted.

About the Topamax... I THINK part of the way it works is that it does make you more satisfied with less alcohol, which would make sense with what you said about feeling more high on the first glass of wine. If you could slow down and enjoy that rather than continuing to drink your normal amount, then you may find that the feeling lasts longer. It does for me. I find that when I do drink wine, I can have a glass, and then almost an hour goes by and I hardly notice, whereas before, I would refill as soon as the first was empty. I am just more satisfied. I also noticed a big difference going from 25 mg to 50 mg. I think 25 mg really does nothing! I think you will get better results as you taper up on your dose.

Good luck!
    Allie

Comment

Thanks. I'll report back when I go to 50 mg 3/7/06. Until then...

Zonked!

Comment

Forgive me for being obsessive here, but I think it is the "sleep learning" cd that is the gurgling water one. I'm commenting on it because I find that, to me, it doesn't sound like a stream or anything, but like water glubbing down a slow drain. NOt the most restful image, and I find it kind of annoying. I'm thinking of using the subliminal cd (ocean waves) for sleep learning too, since I find the sound more relaxing. just my two cents!

Kathy

Comment

I agree with Allie, concentrate on drinking slowly. I use to drink 12 to 15 shots of Vodka a night during a 3 to 4 hour period. Now I look at my alcoholic friends that drink fast and wonder, how can they do that and function? I think once you up the Topamax you will see a big change, at least I did. Good luck!

Comment

Have to agree, the bubbling creekish noise bothers me too.. can't have it on when I'm trying to sleep/space out.. as I'm a VERY light sleeper.. having little kids that often have night-time wakeup's.
            Could be though.. I've just got the irrit's.. cause I've been working SOOOOO hard to relax!!! Too much to drink & too little sleep?? (& no fun at all??) :rollin
            Still waiting for my supps.. (sigh!) and figure I should try them before moving onto medication.. (can't get topa here anyways) Regardless, am enjoying your posts.
            MFM

Comment

Working...
            X