Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when you can't get a buzz anymore and keep drinking

Hi lovely all!
    I am wasting my time of beautiful and elsusive sleep - to keep from finding I wont sleep. I can tell you when all the channels go to paid advertising! I DID have 2 drinks tonight...and it helped nothing. Have you ever found that alcohol doesn't even get you buzzed - requiring more and more? That is my lates...sheesh , I must have really abused it when it doesn't even work anymore. Like going to disneyland and hopeing for a fun time - but you have been there so many times, it is not fun anymore....but you keep buying tickets? How many things in our lives would we do that for? Or buying movie tickes for a film we didn't really enjoy over and over? Bet no one responds to this! But want to hear from others. If one gets no satisfaction or temorary "faux" satisfaction - why does one keep doign it?
    THAT my friends is PATHETIC. I don't HAVE to drink b/c of the jitters and rarely wakeup with a hangover.
    PLEASE don't tell me I have overdone it so much that my body just doesn'tmetabolize it anymore...I KNOW that. I just want to hear from others who are "NORMAL" after drinking. It is a blessing and a curse. I am as normal as I can be with 2-3 drinks in me. Yet - I am as normal as Ican be with NO drinks in me for several days.
    My son was exceptionally cruel to me tonight..in his father's passive way of aggresing. He had no idea I was drinking, even if I told him I was. He made fun of me endlessly about an experience I had today with a MEAN person at the grocery store. This woman was so mean..I wanted to pull her into a closet and tell her how sorry I felt for her - how lonely she must feel that she has to harrass the inncent cashier - and by making all of us wait endlesly - she was indirectly getting the attention she craves...just not the kind she needs.

Rambling, rambling now. So has anyone NOT gotten drunk when a normal person would be falling on the floor? Thanks for your patience with me. My pain of my loss is not dimishished by having those drinks.
    El

hi elle! i've found i have to drink more and more to get a buzz these days,i can drink a bottle of wine and still be stone cold sober! so why do i bother,surely i should realise that i'm abusing my body and spending a fortune on something that just doesn't work anymore? i think it's cos i can't imagine being without it. march madness starts tomorrow,i hope i can do it,i want to do it but i haven't even been able to go a week in the past few years i've gotta start my abstinance today in fact as my mums coming to stay for a few days! and we get on soooo well! not!:lol wish me luck! hope you got some sleep eventually! jenny.

Comment

awh jenny - what a fun few days you have>...I dread the non-drinking company - but remain so sober afer so many drinks..unles they measure he bottle hey don't even suspect! as I AM the steady, rational glue to keep all the politcal issues managable. keping those from storing out.

right now i MUST try to sleep - and pick up tomrrow....hope those supps arive - i am ever so curious,,and know they can;t hut.
      lov el

Comment

Can totally identify. Alcohol loses its ability to be what it used to be the longer we drink it. It rarely gives us the "warm fuzzy buzzy" that we used to love, but rather we feel nothing, nothing, nothing, and then all the sudden we go from that to running into walls. So where is the inbetween? I dont know the answers, but this alone should cause it to lose at least some of its appeal!

I do know that after periods of abstinence, one glass of wine will again make me feel warm and fuzzy again, which is nice. I would like to return to being able to being satisified with one or two. But the ONLY way we can get our bodies back to that point, is to break its dependence on such large amounts. One or two glasses will never satisfy a body who is used to so much. This alone gives me some incentive to abstain for a month to achieve my future goal of moderation.

Allie

Comment

Hi Jenny
          Good luck with having your mother coming to stay, suppose you will have to be on your best behaviour! If you could see me of a night, my husband could set his watch by me, come 7.30 p.m. straight to the bottle uncorking the wine, then I'm set for the night. I don't get cravings during the day, just the magic hour. I always say to myself next morning I don't think I drank that second bottle last night, good girl, but of course I have, I just didn't remember. I can't believe how as intelligent people we seem to be, we can't dispel this urge, it's crazy. I am also fortunate(or not) that it doesn't effect my work, and I do not get hangovers, maybe if I did I wouldn't drink. But the thing is the buzz is gone, so why do I drink?!! Can't wait for the March Madness, I see RJ has done a new thread.
          M

Comment

Elle,Allie, I do so totally identify with both your posts; Elle why do I keep drinking? Because I don't know how not to anymore. Allie--that warm and fuzzy feeling, how I so remember not wanting to finish that second glass of wine because I was getting a little too warm and fuzzy; oh to have that back again. Your line about going from still sober on a bottle of wine to running into the walls just really got me.

All of you, Elle, Allie, M, Jenny, you all are the main reason I feel like trying the March Madness abstinence thing. Because since I joined this website, even though I haven't totally been able to not drink, but most of the time I have cut WAY down (even though this last weekend was a total bust--did I have March Madness in the back of my mind as an excuse for a last blow-out??? probably). My "black cloud" of doom and disaster just ain't the same. I now really can see a light at the end of the tunnel--I just need the courage to head down that tunnel. All of your posts have given me so much hope and more than a little strength, so, what the hell? What am I going to lose by trying abstinence for a month? My hangovers? My headaches? Will I miss the flare-ups of GERD????

Gang, I owe you all so much. Here's to March, hope at least some of you try.
            Hugs
            Ter

Comment

Ell

I know exactly what you are talking about.

before I started here, It was starting to be shocking how much I could hold and still function like the perfect-seeming mother/professional woman/girl next door. I even remember, (on my daughter's birthday......I drink liquors I hate ... (because it was the only thing in the house) to get me to that magic place. ... so that I could be relaxed enough to function at her party. What a weird way to think .. and to live!

BUt in terms of going back for that elusive "better buzz" that you seem to remember but just cant seem to recreate.......

I liken it to a boyfriend or a lover who has changed,
              in the early stages of courtship, he wrote you poems and was on his best behavior and treated you like a lady. He made you feel warm and fuzzy and even good about yourself. Now, he has changed!!!! and he takes you for granted, and makes you feel horrible about yourself, every SINGLE TIME.... But you just keep going back for more, again and again because of the memory of how he used to be , hoping he will go back to his prior way of being. But we all know he wont! He never will! Again and again we let him treat us badly and even abuse us.....because of the "memory" of how it once was.

After about a thousand times of getting burned, I finally decided that was enough evidence that it was never going back to the way I wanted it, that I was going to have to accept that I couuldnt have it both ways. That alcohol (nor a lover or anything external for that matter) basically was not going to fill the needs nor the holes in my heart, and all that I was longing for really was not going to come from the outside in.

Comment

Wow, how accurate is that comparison? So why is it (being the strong independent woman I am!) I will not tolerate being treated like that by anyone else (let alone a man...lol) but I tolerate it from alcohol? Or more importantly, myself???

Comment

Working...
                X