Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Were do I begin.....

Hi,

I woke up this morning looking at the six pack plus that I drank lastnight, the gloomy sky outside and the gloomy feeling I have inside. I once again said to myself this has got to stop...so I came to my computer and punched in my browser " how to stop drinking " and found this site. I've been reading for about 2 hours, shooing off the kids, saying " please guys Mom really needs to read this ". I'm finding it really hard to find the words to type. I HAVE to stop drinking like this...this is a fact. I might not drink as much as some people starting out here but it's defently a problem. I drink a 6 pack every single night, at least most of the time....unless I drink more, have a hangover and can't drink the next day. I tried to hide my problem by putting the empty 6 packs in the basement in a large box, so it doesn't look like I've drank alot the past few weeks. But then I go to throw it all away and wonder what the heck my garbage man must be thinking...LOL! What the heck was I thinking...I know I can't afford to keep drinking like this but I also know that I can't afford to buy all the stuff needed to start this program, right now. We have 5 children total and we just purchased this house in August ( which has alot of unexpected problems that need repaired ). With him being the only bread winner, I might have to wait till income tax. Is there any steps I can take until I can afford to get everything? Money is really tight right now but I sooooooo want to get better. I look forward to meeting all of you....

Good luck on ALL of your journeys......

MnK

Were do I begin.....

Re: Where do I begin

Hi Mick,

My first question would be, "Do you have insurance?" If you do, and can find a doctor to prescribe the meds, it should not be that expensive. The cost of the other supplements are not expensive at all, except for the All One, which is a little steep, but right now it is on sale (30% off) until Dec. 31 at the Nutritech website. The program does work, but it does take time and commitment. The CDs also are expensive, you might have to wait for them. It took me some time to get everything in place, and also time to titrate up to the right level of topa, but let me tell you, I got very upset with my son at one point, started to drink, drank a bunch, suddenly decided, "I don't want to do this anymore," and took an extra Topa tablet, and QUIT DRINKING! Like that! With alcohol in the house. Now this does not happen to a hard core alcoholic, which I am! It is a miracle. Something is happening to my brain chemistry, to my off switch (well, actually, before, I never HAD an off switch). Anyhow, many people on this board are doing the program without meds; perhaps you could gather the supplements one by one as your budget permits; kudzu is very very cheap and has been used by the Chinese for centuries - be sure to get a good brand though, and take lots, it helped me the most in the beginning; I quit for about a month before I got the Topa. L-Glutamine also costs between nine to eleven dollars and helps with cravings as do the other vitamins and supplements. The people on the board here are wonderful and will be glad to support you, I know it has to be difficult with five sons and a limited budget! I'm a single mom with no child support working two jobs to get my Topa - and I wouldn't give it up for anything. Please stick around. We'll support you.

Adria

Comment

Were do I begin.....

Oh, we have all been there. Regarding the money. Adding up the cost of a daily six pack at $6 per pack, that is $30 per week or $120 per month. Putting it in those terms, maybe if you could start the program and cutting back on the drinking, you could really afford the program.

But initially, the book is only $12.95 to download and if you have insurance the topamax shouldn't be terribly expensive. Do you feel like you are craving the beer or are drinking more out of habit? That is a tough realization I had to face. The topamax really helped with the cravings, but I was still drinking. Then I realized that I had to kill the habit as well. That is a corner I just turned about 2-3 weeks ago and I am in week 14.

This is a great place to be. The support is great and this program has help me gain control of my life. I thought I was doomed to be an alchoholic. Welcome.

-Nina

Comment

Were do I begin.....

Re: Where do I begin

Hi Adria,

Yes I do have insurance...I have Bi-polar Disorder and Anxiety Disorder, so I'm on SSI and I get state medical insurance. I don't have to pay any out of pocket expenses for medication. I just wish that the book and CD package on this site had a payment plan. You know 3 easy payments....lol! I'd jump on it right now. I'll be looking more on the board for the other supplements that I need to get things started and I'll be making a phone call tomarrow to my doctor to see if he'll prescribe the Topa for me ( hopefully he will ). I don't really want to quit drinking completely, I'd just like to be able to drink occasionally. Like when my fiance and I go to dinner and have a beer or two with dinner, I won't have the urge to by that 6 pack to take home with me. Or I won't feel overwhelmed with everything at home and feel like I need to drink to relax everyday or when I can't sleep ( which is often ) I won't need to get a buzz to go to sleep. I really look forward to starting this program and I look forward to meeting everyone here and making new friends.

P.S. I have 2 step-sons ( 17 and 13 ), a son ( 10 ) and 2 daughters ( 6 and 4 ).

MnK

Comment

Were do I begin.....

I too can relate. I have been drinking a six pack of Budweiser each day for way too long. I have lurked on this site for a couple of months now. I have read all the books and can "intellctualize" the drinking thing, but have not been good at action.
          Topomax scared me so now I am trying Campral. It has helped although I continue to test it with drinking. My plan is just get through the holidays and start in earnest Jan. 1.

Happy New Year to all.
          cpn

Comment

Were do I begin.....

Hi MnK,

Welcome to the site, I?m also new here and don?t have the book and everything else yet. All I can say is that I believe one can make it on will power. My boss drank heavily and one morning he decided not to drink anymore and he stopped two years ago. I too came to a point about five years ago where I just stopped drinking for more than a year. Adria you said you just stopped, maybe you could share more. Don?t know why the hell I started again cause now it is much worse. That is one way of doing it but now for me and many others it?s not that easy. For me and I believe for every one else if one is not committed to the program the program can?t work. So one will have to have the willpower, if it means taking it in small steps than be it, if it means in an eye blink great. But don?t give up, stay in there and log on to this discussion board frequently, like Nina said the support is great. I?m also a little wind up on the cashflow problem but I?ll start taking vitamins and start an exercise program, my body is drained from all the alcohol and I need to rebuild it. They say fish rebuild brain cells so I?ll have lots of that.
            Oh yes, can?t you take a sleeping pill instead of six cans.
            Anyway, hope to hear something from you and good luck.

Stay in there
            Knox

Comment

Were do I begin.....

Something that you said...

I'm desperately trying to abstain for just one night.

I don't know whether it's the alcohol I crave or simply the habit. I think that because I've spent the last 10 years sleeping 4 nights a week in hotels while travelling to perform my job and really having alcohol as my only form of entertainment is a big problem. You said Topamax helped with the cravings but how did you break the habit?

Comment

Were do I begin.....

Re: MicknKids...

If you are truly committed to make a go of this program please contact me at my EZInbox mail (click my user name to the left.) Let's see if we can figure out a way to make this work for you.

RJ

Comment

Working...
                X