Hello all...another newbie here (day 1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My name is allison and I've been an alcoholic for about 4 years. After sustaining a nasty broken ankle yesterday morning after drinking the night before, I've decided I've had enough of this nonsense. Nothing is worth all this added pain and embarassment. I have a father who was a recovering alcoholic, but he fell off the wagon a year ago. I am scared to death that I will fail, but am determined not to. I just wanted to introduce myself...thanks for listening and have a great day.

Allison,
    There is no failing at this program. Many of us have had slips and set backs, but we pick ourselves up and learn from our mistakes. Ouch on the ankle! Welcome to the group!

Marcie

Comment

Hi Allison... my name is Allison too, but go by allie here. I feel for you, and wonder how I have managed to not break my ankle, back, or whatever I happened to land on in my many trips and falls over the years.

It usually takes something major for us to realize the depth of how far entrenched we have become. My wake up call was several weekends ago, we had a "family night out" with the kids to go see Chronicles of Narnia. Since it was a three hour movie, (and a Friday night, when I usually drink), I decided to pour a little stash of vodka in a water bottle and put it in my purse to mix with my coke. I dont normally drink any type of liquor, I am a red wine drinker, and know my limits. So anyhow, I drank the amount in ounces that I would have with wine, which would have been fine. But the vodka kicked my butt. I thought I was fine until I got up to walk. I tripped on the steps leading out of the theatre and accidently knocked my seven year old down. My husband had to help me to walk to the car, and my 15 year old daughter was of course disgusted with me, and didnt speak to me for several days. Talk about humiliated. I felt I had lost any respect she would ever have for me again. My husband threated proffessional treatment for me, and told me if I EVER did anything like that again, it was over.

It scared the crap out of me. I promised him I would do everything I could to get help, and to please just give me a chance. So I found MWO. It has been wonderful! I have only been here three weeks, but it has changed my life. I am not even doing all of the program as due to finances, I have not been able to order everything immediately. But just getting on here every day, reading the posts will change your life. There is no condemnation here, only support. We all blow it from time to time, but we are able to pick ourselves up so much quicker when we do fall, thanks to the encouragement and yes, love you will find here from others.

My whole family has noticed a huge change in me these past three weeks, and I would have never believed it, but my daughter has been more affectionate with me these last two weeks than I can remember in years. She knows it is a hard battle for me, and she sees me fighting it. I can tell she is very proud, and enjoying the me she has always wanted. My husband was watching me like a hawk the first week, but he too has been amazed at the new me. This past week he has been acting like he is falling in love with me all over again, and looking me in the eyes and seeing who he once fell in love with again. He has told me he loves me more in the past few weeks... I am sorry to ramble, but I love this new life... I just need to keep at it. I am not there yet... still drinking some, but not NEAR what I was before. Welcome to you... and keep posting. Please read the thread that started today about "Life without alcohol" or something like that. I think you will identify with Sylvia and all of us.

Have a wonderful Day... look forward to posting with you more.

Allie

Comment

Hi Allie,
        Welcome to a very supportive place! I think you'll really like coming here. Sorry to hear about your ankle, yikes. I came here under similar circumstances .... bruised legs & arms, scratched knees and face from falling down some stairs. I was finally tired of waking up feeling bad, and just knowing I was drinking way too much -- I had been drinking for 20 years.

I started MWO 5 weeks ago and I'm not looking back. I finally found a program that is a perfect fit for me. I'm so encouraged. Take some time to read some of the posts -- you'll find some very familiar stories!

Glad to have you, Gracie

Comment

Working...
        X