Parent of a teenage drinker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just 11 days ago my son was in a car accident and sustained head injuries. He was one of the lucky ones. He's going to be okay. But my biggest fear is his drinking. The accident happened because of alcohol. We're trying to get him therapy for alcohol but insurance companies are just so difficult. I've never posted anything in my life so this one is my first and I don't really know how it works. I'm afraid to discuss my problem in such a forum, but this has been the most traumatic event in my life and I don't know how to cope.|I

Oh Cass....how tough it must be, I have two kids of my own, abit younger, 13 & 10. Getting help for your son right now is a good start and sounds like you could use a friend also. Very scary...

As far as how this forum works. It is all private, know one knows who any one is...we just chat and help each other out. Most of us here have the problem with drinking, but you might get some info and enjoy our friendship and support.
    Take care, I will keep you and your son in my thoughts today.
    Sincerely, Tammie

Comment

Hi Cass... I am so sorry to hear what has happened with your son. I am so grateful that it sounds like he is going to be okay. I cant imagine what you must be going through.

I hope you can glean any insights from those of us who struggle with alcohol to better understand your son. It truly is a "mental addiction", at least for many years. It takes years to become physically addicted, and I doubt that your son is physically addicted. I hope that this will be a "wake up call" for him and that he will have a clear picture of the reality of how much damage alcohol causes. Hopefully he will now have a healthy fear of it. If he can come away from this having learned a lesson, then it may ultimately be a blessing rather than a tragedy. It may have spared him from a worse tragedy, or losing his life.

You are safe here... nobody knows who you are. I have two teenagers as well, 19 and 15. Fortunately, they both hate drinking and dont want to be around anyone who does or is because of me. They dont want to be like me, and they see that alcohol runs in our family. I am not proud of the example I have set in this area, but at least it has caused them to run from it. I hope they always will. They are so proud of the changes I am making through this program and are so supportive. We remain very close, and I think that is key to helping me. I need support and love, not condemnation.

You obviously love your son as much as any mother does, and are a wonderful mother. I commend you for coming here and I wish I knew better where to steer you as I have not walked in your situation. But I know your son needs your love more than ever. He probably feels terrible, which can lead to depression, which can lead him back to alcohol to numb the depression.

Best of luck to you, and please let us know how he is doing. I am sure there are others of us who have teens in the same shoes, and we can learn from you.

Thanks for sharing, Allie

Comment

Cass,
        So sorry to hear about the accident, but glad to hear your son will be OK. It must be very difficult for you -- situations involving our children are especially tough. What a great mom -- I'm sure your son would feel so good knowing how concerned you are for him.

I was in a similar situation when my daughter was 14. I didn't know what to do anymore and how to help her. I decided to seek professional advise because I felt I wasn't being effective and I was getting very frustrated (...easier for me to admit now than then). Her situation may have been more evolved than your sons, I don't know. My daughter is 24 now. I haven't had any trouble with alcohol with her since those early teen years -- I needed the advise, I just wasn't equipped to help her on my own. (Mom is another story unfortunately...).

Your posts are safe here, and you'll find lots and lots of support.

Grace

Comment

Working...
        X