another newcomer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another newcomer!

Hi? I?m new here and wanted to say hi.. I?ve been reading a lot of your stories and messages and I think I?ve come to the right place.
    I?ve had a drinking problem for over ten years. It started as a reaction to a bad job situation.. the only way I could get through the evenings was to drink ? and then became a way of life. I have always hidden alcohol and the extent of my consumption from my family, friends and husband. I started counseling a long time ago.. but never got past the point of dissecting my childhood woes as explanation for low self-esteem.. the counselor was intent on blaming my parents for all my problems and I didn?t really feel that was helpful past a certain point, I wanted to move on. I have attended AA many times, as the loudest schools of thought still say it is the only way.. but I didn?t find it a good fit. I even went to treatment for a month.. and while it was a very positive experience in terms of self-care and nurturing, learning coping skills.. the only aftercare offered was very 12 step based and I didn?t keep up with it, and started drinking again shortly after.
    Ten years have taken their toll; I look older than people who are older than I, I am about 30 pounds overweight, my skin is lined and dry, I get infections that won?t heal.. gastric reflux.. the list goes on as I?m sure everyone one is familiar with. I am afraid of what I may have done to my liver by now, I had blood tests in the summer and they were fine, but apparently that?s not always a good indicator.
    So.. here I am. I like that this site doesn?t condemn people for ?slipping?and that there is more breadth in the approach.. (my eventual goal is moderation). I?ve ordered the book and CDs, and am looking forward to trying this out.

Best wishes,
    Jeannie

another newcomer!

Welcome! I can say you have at least one thing going for you, you have a very open mind. Good for you.

I am sure you have lots of other things, but going into the program with an open mind sure helps. I am sure many of us were skeptics and afraid of trying a new program, but you seem well versed at trying new things. Welcome aboard. We learn from each other here and I am looking forwad to learning from you.

My Best,
    -Nina

Comment

another newcomer!

Jennie,

Welcome. I, too, am a newbie. Yes, I think this place is good for me too. I look foward to looking back on this one. Great to have new people like myself around to help us through the rough times and acknowledge our achievements.

best to you
      BW

Comment

another newcomer!

Re: Health

Hi Jeannie,
        Read my topic headed "Depressed... Waiting..." it might have something to help you with your health. I'm also new.
        Welcome,
        MFM

Comment

another newcomer!

Hi Jeannie,
          You are right, this is a very supportive board, and like many of us, you may find yourself here often. Sounds like the book and CDs are on their way... The book is great -- once you read it, you'll see how this program comes together! I am coming up on 6 weeks. The program has simply put, been a blessing for me. Welcome!!

Gracie

Comment

another newcomer!

Jeannie:
            Welcome to this program! It seems to work well for a lot of us here. Quickly for some; more slowly for some like me, possible because it took longer for me to start working some of the components. Like the CDs; for awhile, I was working a lot and didn't use them; they are very helpful. But now the program is working well for me (cross my fingers, knock on wood). I usually drink when I get extremely upset - but this happened last night over something and I didn't - I'm moderately and did not drink more than my two half glasses of wine mixed with water which is what I allow myself - in fact, I can hardly finish that anymore. And I have to sip it very slowly. So there is a lot of hope and support here that you will find.

Adria

Comment

Working...
            X